1 1
flyiongskier

Head Low Flying

I recently transitioned from flying an older R-bird to an ATC.  My subjective feeling that I am flying too slow and close to stall (flying with a large AoA) have been confirmed through flysight data.  The problem, however, is that when I start to put pressure on my leg wing to try and decrease my AoA it feels like I'm being thrown ass over tea kettle head down into a steep dive.  I can't seem to find a way to find the balance in between.   Any suggestions? 

(edited)

Great question broski! 

Changing your angle of attack has less to do with your toes and more to do with your posture. 

In a wingsuit, your body should (almost) always be completely flat (especially those arms). This maximizes wing efficiency, and allows you to keep that wallet full of airspeed. 

If you're going head low, you're flying in a dihedral orientation. If you don't know what the fuq dihedral means, then check out Richard Webb's take on it (which every WS pilot should read anywho): 

http://topgunbase.ws/speed-2-stability-vs-drag/

You can adjust your AoA with nothing more than your head and shoulders. 

Imagine if the Hunchback of Notre Dame was trying to fix his posture, and stand up as tall as he could. 

Well.. this is effectively similar to best body position in a wingsuit. Stretch that body as long as you can, with 0 degrees dihedral, and adjust your AoA by adding a bit more hunchback to the mix. 

Clear as mud?

Edited by RolandForbes