5 5
winsor

Woke is a Joke

Okay, so it's a given that Woke is an exercise in stupidity.

It is unfortunate that anyone would seek to fight fire with fire, and thus attempt to achieve a similar level of stupidity:

https://www.stamfordadvocate.com/news/article/In-his-fight-against-woke-schools-DeSantis-16838200.php

Both sides of the issue seem hell bent on proving my thesis that our only inexhaustible natural resource is stupidity.

To expect a nuanced treatment of history at the K-12 level (or even in most University curricula) is too much to ask.  Having said that, putting feelings over facts turns out to be the downfall of both Woke and anti-Woke.  "Oh, so you want to be brain-dead assholes?  Well, two can play at that game!"

Was there slavery?  Uh, yeah - for thousands of years.  Did the original residents of the Americas get screwed coming and going?  Pretty much from top to bottom, by E) all of the above.  Did Asians get the shit end of the stick at every turn?  Any oversights were not for a lack of trying.

Having said all that, is any group without fault?  None comes to mind.  Dominant cultures are often on top by virtue of being just a bit more evil than those they displace - but when the tables are turned the formerly oppressed cultures are routinely just as bad, and examples are legion.  There are temporary exceptions to this, but it's a pretty good rule of thumb.

The mechanics of things Woke is very much an exercise of stupidity and denial, but I am impressed that the opponents of Woke in Florida are doing their best to counter stupidity and denial with even greater stupidity and denial.

Twas ever thus.

BSBD,

Winsor

1 hour ago, winsor said:

Okay, so it's a given that Woke is an exercise in stupidity.

It is unfortunate that anyone would seek to fight fire with fire, and thus attempt to achieve a similar level of stupidity:

https://www.stamfordadvocate.com/news/article/In-his-fight-against-woke-schools-DeSantis-16838200.php

Both sides of the issue seem hell bent on proving my thesis that our only inexhaustible natural resource is stupidity.

To expect a nuanced treatment of history at the K-12 level (or even in most University curricula) is too much to ask.  Having said that, putting feelings over facts turns out to be the downfall of both Woke and anti-Woke.  "Oh, so you want to be brain-dead assholes?  Well, two can play at that game!"

Was there slavery?  Uh, yeah - for thousands of years.  Did the original residents of the Americas get screwed coming and going?  Pretty much from top to bottom, by E) all of the above.  Did Asians get the shit end of the stick at every turn?  Any oversights were not for a lack of trying.

Having said all that, is any group without fault?  None comes to mind.  Dominant cultures are often on top by virtue of being just a bit more evil than those they displace - but when the tables are turned the formerly oppressed cultures are routinely just as bad, and examples are legion.  There are temporary exceptions to this, but it's a pretty good rule of thumb.

The mechanics of things Woke is very much an exercise of stupidity and denial, but I am impressed that the opponents of Woke in Florida are doing their best to counter stupidity and denial with even greater stupidity and denial.

Twas ever thus.

BSBD,

Winsor

On 2/2/2022 at 11:22 PM, billvon said:

I have several friends who are Jewish, which means I have much more insight into what Israel is going through than anyone here.

Now you're beginning to sound like winsor. Who has an extensive collection of English and German books. Who boasts of an extensive understanding of history and education. Who single-handily kept the SC apprised of the historic dangers of wokeism.

38 minutes ago, Phil1111 said:

Now you're beginning to sound like winsor. Who has an extensive collection of English and German books. Who boasts of an extensive understanding of history and education. Who single-handily kept the SC apprised of the historic dangers of wokeism.

Nah, he's just trying to be funny.  10,000 comedians out of work...

3 hours ago, Phil1111 said:

Check the gain setting on your sarcasm detector.
Maybe check the  fuse too. 
There's been enough in here that it could have overloaded it and blown the fuse.

(edited)
22 minutes ago, wolfriverjoe said:

Check the gain setting on your sarcasm detector.
Maybe check the  fuse too. 
There's been enough in here that it could have overloaded it and blown the fuse.

I think everyone knows the general sarcasm settings about SC. Bill works for SpaceX(could) and others are chin deep in their German and English history PhD dissertations(could dream).

Edited by Phil1111

I'm kind of indifferent to drug and alcohol use per se.  I recommend against it, but someone told me it's a free country or something like that.

If this is accurate (consider the source):

https://freebeacon.com/biden-administration/biden-admin-to-fund-crack-pipe-distribution-to-advance-racial-equity/

the problem I have with it is that its rationale is racist.

To imply that one's race makes drug addiction more or less likely is, I don't know, racist?

Rather than equity, what's the problem with equality?  Why can't we treat injustice without applying a racist/sexist lens to the issue?

I know the idea that the law, in it's evenhandedness, applies the same penalties to a rich man stealing a loaf of bread as it does to a poor one and all that, but that doesn't change the fact that 'reverse discrimination' is still discrimination, and is still a bad thing from where I sit.  With the best of intentions, the law of unintended consequences will bite you in the ass every time.

In Yugoslavia under Tito, everyone was on their toes and largely got along.  Once everyone was free of the Communist yoke, people remembered long buried animosities where Albanian, Bosnian, Croatian and Serb peoples recalled longstanding animus and began killing each other.  Iraq under Saddam Hussein was similar.

While I dislike Communism in practice, I also dislike the discrimination where one group gets a pass due to their ethnicity/religion and another is treated very differently (say Catholic/Protestant during the Troubles in Ulster).

If you contend that having different 'rights' for different populations is okay, be careful what you ask for.  Your goal might be to foster different standards between European stock people and indigenous sorts, but you may then find out that Apache don't see eye to eye with Navajo, or that Lakota aren't on the same page with Cheyenne and so forth.

To bring it around, there just may be the odd person of Black African lineage who finds offensive the presumption that they are more given to addiction than the average, or that they need 'help' with Math, or that they are inherently given to single-parent unwed-mother households or whatever.  From what I hear, that's as racist as it gets (okay, so white hoods and nooses is a more unpleasant variant).

From what I've seen, equality is the best standard to which one might aspire in practice.  "Equity" is just another flavor of racism.

BSBD,

Winsor

No worries, winsor. I'm here to bump this a little more;

On 2/8/2022 at 11:51 PM, metalslug said:

In other 'woke' news this week;  bread is now a flag for woke identity; Fair dinkum :rofl:

Oh crikey, I'm quoting myself now. Well, it's time to cover off another food group .  I reckon we'll see something on vegetables too by year's end (white onions are evil maybe? or potatoes?).

At this point I would consider using the thumb-up emoji, but the DZ.com site doesn't have sufficient diversity in the available colour shades. (Yeah, that's apparently a social media issue lately.)

I happen to think the blockade of the Ambassador Bridge is inane and offensive.  'Protests' that amount to pissing in the soup do little to sway me to whatever cause is being espoused, which is one reason I find unions distasteful in practice.

What I find instructive is the reaction of people who supported the BLM riots.  The fawning reports of 'largely peaceful protests' that left a trail of vandalism, looting, smoking wreckage and death have turned to vitriol over an ill-considered tailgate party on a bridge.

Apparently former Obama admin undersecretary of Homeland Security Juliette Kayyem has called for violence and vandalism against Freedom Convoy protesters who have amassed on the bridge that connects Detroit, Michigan to Windsor, Ontario.

kayy.PNG?itok=SDuDU26C

As usual, I find double standards distasteful.  Some animals are more equal than others and all that.

BSBD,

Winsor

18 minutes ago, winsor said:

This is reportedly Biden's appointee for Deputy Assistant Secretary of Spent Fuel and Waste Disposition in the Energy Department's Office of Nuclear Energy.

Sam Brinton's the one standing up.

It's unconventional, sure, but if you're asserting that photo infers that Sam Brinton is unfit for the job, then I can't agree with you on this one. I would refer to this person as either 'Sam' or 'Mister Brinton' or 'he' and I would judge them on their job performance alone as time progresses. Beyond that; that photo should be irrelevant.

Edited by metalslug
typo
  • Like 2

36 minutes ago, winsor said:

This is reportedly Biden's appointee for Deputy Assistant Secretary of Spent Fuel and Waste Disposition in the Energy Department's Office of Nuclear Energy.

131469-16445324981028342.png

You can't make this shit up.

BSBD,

Winsor

Well, he'll peg the weirdometer for a lot of folks, that's certain, but he's well qualified in the field and speaks a little Chinese, too, so that's good. To each his own but I wouldn't wear those shoes with that dress, no way.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, metalslug said:

It's unconventional, sure, but if you're asserting that photo infers that Sam Brinton is unfit for the job, then I can't agree with you on this one. I would refer to this person as either 'Sam' or 'Mister Brinton' or 'he' and I would judge them on their job performance alone as time progresses. Beyond that; that photo should be irrelevant.

11 minutes ago, JoeWeber said:

Well, he'll peg the weirdometer for a lot of folks, that's certain, but he's well qualified in the field and speaks a little Chinese, too, so that's good. To each his own but I wouldn't wear those shoes with that dress, no way.

Well if you can't criticize his qualifications you attack his willingness to engage in theatrical comedy.

3 hours ago, winsor said:

I take it you didn't know Hutch very well (RIP.)  He loved wearing women's clothes, and he did at every WFFC.  Didn't make him any less of a skydiver or a leader in the Skydogs.  And if someone posted a picture of him wearing a dress as a reason to not hire him for a given job - I suspect even you would find that absurd.

Woof.

On 2/11/2022 at 5:48 AM, winsor said:

131469-16445324981028342.png

BSBD,

Winsor

Did you know the position even existed prior to this? Do you know anything about his qualifications?

So much for only judging based on qualifications and performance......

I couldn't help but notice the . . . interesting reaction to the Superbowl halftime show by all those non-racists.

White non-racist (paraphrased): "I am NOT RACIST!  I don't even see race.  I look only at their talent and skill.  You don't need to be woke to do that!  It's the woke people who are racist because they see race."

Also white non-racist (paraphrased): "I just watched the Super Bowl half time show and every performer except one was BLACK!"

Right wing icon Candace Owens even got grief over this.  She said she liked the half time show over Twitter, and got back:

"Why are yall making it a point to have absolutely no white people in the halftime show?"
"Eminem was the only white person in the entire performance."
"The super bowl half time sucks big time.  And racists halftime show ever no white people."
And from Sean Spicer: "Dear NFL: What was the message of the halftime show?"

I guess they don't see race - as long as that race is mostly white.

There was also widespread outrage in conservative circles over Eminem kneeling during his performance, with many conservatives likening it to Colin Kaepernick kneeling during the Pledge. (Which, if you recall, was attacked because he didn't 'respect the flag.')  Some comments on that:

"Eminem is a buffoon. If someone asked him why he was kneeling, he would have a hard time explaining it."
"You think he was praying? Haha, that's funny. I don't know what he was doing because I didn't see the halftime show but I'm fairly certain he was not praying, at least not to the God of the Bible."
"Why does it always have to be about politics and/or trying to get public attention?? Just perform your music and move on!"

So much for "it was about disrespect towards the flag."

2 hours ago, billvon said:

I couldn't help but notice the . . . interesting reaction to the Superbowl halftime show by all those non-racists.

White non-racist (paraphrased): "I am NOT RACIST!  I don't even see race.  I look only at their talent and skill.  You don't need to be woke to do that!  It's the woke people who are racist because they see race."

Also white non-racist (paraphrased): "I just watched the Super Bowl half time show and every performer except one was BLACK!"

Right wing icon Candace Owens even got grief over this.  She said she liked the half time show over Twitter, and got back:

"Why are yall making it a point to have absolutely no white people in the halftime show?"
"Eminem was the only white person in the entire performance."
"The super bowl half time sucks big time.  And racists halftime show ever no white people."
And from Sean Spicer: "Dear NFL: What was the message of the halftime show?"

I guess they don't see race - as long as that race is mostly white.

There was also widespread outrage in conservative circles over Eminem kneeling during his performance, with many conservatives likening it to Colin Kaepernick kneeling during the Pledge. (Which, if you recall, was attacked because he didn't 'respect the flag.')  Some comments on that:

"Eminem is a buffoon. If someone asked him why he was kneeling, he would have a hard time explaining it."
"You think he was praying? Haha, that's funny. I don't know what he was doing because I didn't see the halftime show but I'm fairly certain he was not praying, at least not to the God of the Bible."
"Why does it always have to be about politics and/or trying to get public attention?? Just perform your music and move on!"

So much for "it was about disrespect towards the flag."

I thought he was doing a Tebow.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, billvon said:

Agreed; in regard to anyone making a fuss over the (lack of) diversity of the performers.

Equally true though; if the halftime had been an 'all-white' show the lefties would be 'having a field day' over it. It's silly no matter which side does it.

Eminem's actions, to me, are artistic licence. He may have meant it sincerely but it cannot be automatically assumed as such in the context of an entertainment performance.

#brownloavesmatter