5 5
winsor

Woke is a Joke

1 hour ago, airdvr said:

I like Snoop's work...most of it anyways.  But if this is who you want in your Super Bowl halftime show then woke is truly a joke. 

Superbowl?  Woke?  This is the same organization that dumped Kaepernick for protesting violence towards blacks.

Sixty-two officers were killed by guns last year,

I would suggest that the solution to that lies perhaps in dealing with the people who kill cops and the weapons they use to do so, rather than by careful selection of an entertainer for the halftime show. 

1 hour ago, billvon said:

Superbowl?  Woke?  This is the same organization that dumped Kaepernick for protesting violence towards blacks.

I would suggest that the solution to that lies perhaps in dealing with the people who kill cops and the weapons they use to do so, rather than by careful selection of an entertainer for the halftime show. 

Or possibly not inciting the murder of cops?

56 minutes ago, airdvr said:

Or possibly not inciting the murder of cops?

We know people committed violent acts because Trump told them to do so. Do we have any evidence of people committing violent acts because Snoop told them to do it?

Is inciting violence really a big issue for you or are there really some other motivations here?

11 minutes ago, SkyDekker said:

Is inciting violence really a big issue for you or are there really some other motivations here?

Simply pointing out the absurdity of all things Woke.  Only place one is allowed to do that anymore without fear of reprisal.

22 minutes ago, airdvr said:

Simply pointing out the absurdity of all things Woke.

Again, the superbowl is not "woke" - no matter how you define the term.  The majority of the audience of the Superbowl is still outraged that Derek Chauvin is in jail, and is ecstatic that Kyle Rittenhouse was found to be a hero by the courts (according to them.)

Sounds like you are really struggling to find a way to be outraged about this.  I mean, be outraged by whatever you want - it's a free country.  But trying to tie this to "woke hypocrisy" somehow is a bit of a stretch, even for you.

On 1/24/2022 at 4:48 AM, winsor said:

In hockey you're expected to hit people in the face.  Whatever making "monkey signs" is, it's insufficiently violent and thus unprofessional.

Why do you always talk about racism?  It's reminiscent of the patient who sees prurient images in every ink blot.

I'm getting convinced that Brent is less versed in ill conceived efforts to cite and talk nonsense than yourself. I suggest that this thread be re-titled "Old White men railing against minorities, change, justice, history and equality".

Hitting someone in the face will usually warrants 5 minutes in the penalty box. If it happens more than once. Usually a suspension from at least one subsequent game follows.

1 hour ago, airdvr said:

Simply pointing out the absurdity of all things Woke.  Only place one is allowed to do that anymore without fear of reprisal.

What, exactly, about Snoop performing counts as "woke"?

Because he's African American?

If you listen to some of his lyrics, he's not super 'woke' himself.

3 hours ago, billvon said:

Again, the superbowl is not "woke" - no matter how you define the term.  The majority of the audience of the Superbowl is still outraged that Derek Chauvin is in jail, and is ecstatic that Kyle Rittenhouse was found to be a hero by the courts (according to them.)

Sounds like you are really struggling to find a way to be outraged about this.  I mean, be outraged by whatever you want - it's a free country.  But trying to tie this to "woke hypocrisy" somehow is a bit of a stretch, even for you.

Nah, he's really struggling to align himself with extra clever Winsor but until he can blast out more than two bland sentences and pontificate ad nauseam and endlessly pointing out point after point but unable to point to a solution he'll never get as halfway there as his idol.

Keep trying to pick up that turd from the clean end Joe.  When did I say I was outraged?  I'm pointing out the hypocrisy.  And we haven't even brought NBC into the picture yet.  I don't get outraged over stupid shit.  If that were the case I'd never get anything done.

But if your side wants to pontificate about social justice the first place you ought to look is in the mirror.  Try not to laugh.

Social justice doesn’t mean that every (social/ethnic/financial) minority is right no matter what they do or say. It doesn’t mean that every (social/ethnic/financial) majority is wrong no matter what they do or say. It does mean recognizing that one may have had advantages based on one or more of those statuses. 
A smart white kid is still smart. So is a smart Asian kid, or a smart black kid. But the teacher should be able to equally value all of the kids, and not assume one is lesser based on one of those categories. Or even when it’s not one of those categories directly, but those give her a basis for going out looking for reasons to value one over another (“he’s always prepared and on top of things , her work is neat but and always right but she might just be an overachiever, his work is always right but I just don’t think he’s capable of it”)

Wendy P.

23 minutes ago, airdvr said:

But if your side wants to pontificate about social justice the first place you ought to look is in the mirror. 

Man, you don't understand what is in play. But let's see what you do know: what am I missing when I look in the mirror?

4 hours ago, airdvr said:

Keep trying to pick up that turd from the clean end Joe.  When did I say I was outraged?  I'm pointing out the hypocrisy.

Are you sure you know what that word means?

If someone who doesn't mind dead cops too much (as long as they are black) chooses Snoop Dogg to play at the Superbowl then he is not being a hypocrite.

Now, if the founder of Football Game Organizers Against Shooting Cops chose the Snoop THAT might be considered hypocritical if you believe that performers who perform a song actually represent all the positions called out in that song.  And if he was actually the founder of Woke Football Game Organizers Against Shooting Cops, then you might even be able to call someone "woke" hypocritical.

Do you see the difference there?

I don't get outraged over stupid shit. 

I gotta say you seem pretty outraged over this particular bit of stupid shit.

But if your side wants to pontificate about social justice the first place you ought to look is in the mirror.  

Are you mistaking me (or Joe) for someone who chose Snoop Dogg for the Superbowl?  Or who supports that choice?  Or who really even cares who is performing at the Superbowl?  Because the only person here who seems to care is you.

On 1/21/2022 at 7:26 PM, SkyDekker said:

Or Israel.

The Children of Israel are one big, dysfunctional family.  Once adopted into the family, the race of one's biological parents is immaterial.

Of course you knew that is why you have people of a broad range of ethnicities in most congregations.

If Israel was to adopt the same level of inclusiveness as, say, Saudi Arabia, few, if any, Israelis would tolerate such inhumanity.. 

Then again, I don't hear you bitching about the antisemitism and atrocities of the muslim world, so perhaps you'd be cool with it.

BSBD,

Winsor

14 hours ago, airdvr said:

Keep trying to pick up that turd from the clean end Joe.  When did I say I was outraged?  I'm pointing out the hypocrisy.  And we haven't even brought NBC into the picture yet.  I don't get outraged over stupid shit.  If that were the case I'd never get anything done.

But if your side wants to pontificate about social justice the first place you ought to look is in the mirror.  Try not to laugh.

When did I say you said you were outraged?

(And awaaaaaaay we go ;P)

I asked what was 'woke' about Snoop performing.

And that question still stands.

The NFL is about money. Period.
They think having Snoop do the half time show will draw viewers. Period.

4 hours ago, winsor said:

The Children of Israel are one big, dysfunctional family.  Once adopted into the family, the race of one's biological parents is immaterial.

Of course you knew that is why you have people of a broad range of ethnicities in most congregations.

If Israel was to adopt the same level of inclusiveness as, say, Saudi Arabia, few, if any, Israelis would tolerate such inhumanity.. 

Then again, I don't hear you bitching about the antisemitism and atrocities of the muslim world, so perhaps you'd be cool with it.

BSBD,

Winsor

Distract, woke,race-religion inverted diversion,what-about, counter-accusation, ....

Got it..

6 hours ago, winsor said:

I don't hear you bitching about female genital mutilation, guess you are cool with it.

If after a few weeks this is the best argument you can come up with.......

A friend of mine teaches at a distant-suburban Houston school district. She feels fortunate that she teaches elementary music and art, because she's only subject to the no-masks mandate (in a community with rampant COVID).

She's not personally subject to the "no history involving race before Rosa Parks" mandate from the school board. Ya know -- CRT. Can't discuss Jim Crow, the Reconstruction, or anything else that might make their 1/3 white students feel uncomfortable. The rest of the students are minorities of various descriptions (very common in Texas), but they're just trying to fit in, because so many of the minority families work for white-owned companies.

Oh -- no Holocaust, either (although for elementary school that's kind of a drive-by topic), but she is allowed to praise Jesus in the classroom.

Wendy P

39 minutes ago, wmw999 said:

A friend of mine teaches at a distant-suburban Houston school district. She feels fortunate that she teaches elementary music and art, because she's only subject to the no-masks mandate (in a community with rampant COVID).

She's not personally subject to the "no history involving race before Rosa Parks" mandate from the school board. Ya know -- CRT. Can't discuss Jim Crow, the Reconstruction, or anything else that might make their 1/3 white students feel uncomfortable. The rest of the students are minorities of various descriptions (very common in Texas), but they're just trying to fit in, because so many of the minority families work for white-owned companies.

Oh -- no Holocaust, either (although for elementary school that's kind of a drive-by topic), but she is allowed to praise Jesus in the classroom.

Wendy P

What you have demonstrated conclusively is my thesis that when either side of the aisle does something that is inconceivably fucked up, the other side will not be outdone.

The subject of 'History' in U.S. schools has routinely been simplistic enough to render it less than worthless.  To point out dicta from either side that render it just that much worse is to show just what an All American process it is.

I have history books addressing the period between 1933 and 1945 in both English and German.  Suffice it to say, the focus of each is different - in English the Eastern Front was good for a couple of pages, and in German the War in the Pacific got two pages as well.

It is hardly surprising that the average American knows precious little about History.  I suppose that when choosing what treatment is either mandated or proscribed, it's a matter of "name your poison."

BSBD,

Winsor

There is nearly limitless history -- history of each person, ever. Most of it's not written, and most of what is written is written by people with the power; the winners. Or it's written by resentful losers. What CRT says is, basically, to deliberately and specifically consider other viewpoints in the study of history. So that Polish history books might consider the Jewish point of view in dealing with the Holocaust (they're erasing it).The Germans had the loss rammed down their throats enough that it actually took; a rare case where cornering a rat actually made him comply. But they're coming back out of the woodwork, even in Germany.

Wendy P.

3 minutes ago, wmw999 said:

There is nearly limitless history -- history of each person, ever. Most of it's not written, and most of what is written is written by people with the power; the winners. Or it's written by resentful losers. What CRT says is, basically, to deliberately and specifically consider other viewpoints in the study of history. So that Polish history books might consider the Jewish point of view in dealing with the Holocaust (they're erasing it).The Germans had the loss rammed down their throats enough that it actually took; a rare case where cornering a rat actually made him comply. But they're coming back out of the woodwork, even in Germany.

Wendy P.

What I have read from the authors of CRT indicates a standpoint where racism is the primary bias.

Putting events in a less blinkered racist context does not make Tulsa the slightest bit more palatable, nor does it make any other racial conflict better or worse.  "Indian Wars" anyone?

I bridle at putting events in a racist context, where the value judgement of good/bad is carried by the races of the actors involved.  Noting that racism was at play is fine, but claiming standards that differ for one group or another is racist and I don't buy it.

BSBD,

Winsor

Previous primary biases included "war of Northern Oppression" and American Exceptionalism. But I guess those are better than racism as a driver for a lot of what's happened because it's what you grew up with, right?

A primary bias that confirms everything you've learned is likely just as wrong as one that questions it. It's just a lot more comfortable. Because, again, history is endless -- it's only what we have available that is limited. We have to imagine the rest -- that doens't make it not worth doing, because underdogs still exist, and they aren't all underdogs because they suck and we rule.

Wendy P.

On 1/31/2022 at 2:28 PM, billvon said:

Again, the superbowl is not "woke" - no matter how you define the term.  

Not anymore, they learned their lesson about mixing politics with sport.  Kaepernick getting the boot for starters.  Viewing audience came back unlike the NBA which has yet to learn their lesson.

“For the 2020 NBA Finals, the ratings dropped to a historic low, with one of the games drawing only 5.9 million viewers.[6] The average viewers figure over 6 games was 7.5 million, which is a 51% decline from the previous year.[7] Some have claimed this was due to the players' political activism”

ya think?