5 5
winsor

Woke is a Joke

3 hours ago, wmw999 said:

In the late 70's, rainbows were very popular as canopy patterns. I don't believe it was a statement in those days...

Wendy P.

When I bought a VW bug in the early 80's, I just HAD to have the rainbow sticker for the back window.

On 1/23/2023 at 9:00 AM, winsor said:

The album cover came from before the rainbow was synonymous with 'pride.'

True, though ended up with a 6 coloured rainbow flag for what I am guessing is the same reason the pride flag became 6 coloured, difficulty in production of some colours.

10 minutes ago, SkyDekker said:

Have you ever listened to music?

He's right, you know.  I mean, no one wants to hear about how there are four dead in Ohio, or be asked to give peace a chance, or be told that war is good for nothing, or listen to a black woman ask for respect, or listen to a certain New Jersey native talk about what being born in the USA means. No one will ever sell songs about imagining peace or about what's goin on or about being drafted after being arrested for littering.  Anyone who thinks people will want to listen to such songs is nuts.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, SkyDekker said:

Have you ever listened to music?

I bought a Tracy Chapman cassette many years ago and gave it away after hearing the lyrics once.

I was thinking more of having to run a gauntlet of booths supporting unrelated causes to get into an REM concert some time back.

If the lyrics are overtly distasteful I don't go.  If I'm there for tunes, and if it resembles a political convention I'm not up for it.  I'm not into anybody's political convention.

On 1/25/2023 at 5:37 PM, gowlerk said:

It ain't me.

Lord don't they help themselves.

But in other news - 

A&W restaurants just trolled FOX News.  They made a "big announcement" that Rudy the Root Beer bear would now wear pants, because pants were so polarizing.  "We get it – even a mascot’s lack of pants can be polarizing" a reference to Tucker Carlson's lamentations about how the change in an M&M cartoon character rendered her not sexy enough for him.  He would not, he explained, even want to take her out for a drink with the new shoes on.

FOX, of course, missed the joke.  They ran a piece on Rudy's pants, and on how "the woke police cancel culture has gone ridiculous!"  They mentioned how horrified they were on several pieces they did.

Two days later, A&W finally told them it was a joke.  I have a feeling it won't change anything, though, and the next time that (say) Lisa Simpson gets a slightly longer dress, we will hear all over again how the woke police are absolutely destroying the world and eliminating all the great things that arouse Tucker Carlson.

(edited)
On 8/8/2022 at 6:09 AM, rifleman said:

The anti "woke" folks have been at it a long time and spouting similar themes to today. Clip from a newspaper (1860):

FB_IMG_1659963946356.jpg

A lack of response is because there isn't one needed in this debate,but insinuating the "anti woke" folks here as racists,is a grave assumption,and you know what happens when we assume.

i can only speak for myself,and give a shout out to Individualism. I was for affermitve action, and also voted for it's repeal.When I found out about the discrimination going on in College admissions of Asian Americans, being treated like Jews in the 1930's, today. I realized Meritocracy is our only way to that enlightened egalitarian utopia,LOL.

try rewatching the Bill Maher video the first minute, again ....Presentism. Humors mechanism is truth.

Ever wonder how siblinging living in the exact environment with the exact same opportunities,parents and lifestyles can have completely different life results?

Edited by richravizza
maher

On 1/25/2023 at 5:01 PM, winsor said:

I bought a Tracy Chapman cassette many years ago and gave it away after hearing the lyrics once.

I was thinking more of having to run a gauntlet of booths supporting unrelated causes to get into an REM concert some time back.

If the lyrics are overtly distasteful I don't go.  If I'm there for tunes, and if it resembles a political convention I'm not up for it.  I'm not into anybody's political convention.

I thought of you'd get a kick out of this one " Common sense isn't common when your a Communist."LOL it's clean except for the asshole comment,Dr.Robert Malone makes a guest appearance, funny seeing him with a mask over his head.

Serious side

I was hoping to get your thoughts on the inevitability of intersectionality,if extended to it's ends.Do you think we finally arrive at the individual.

3 hours ago, richravizza said:

A lack of response is because there isn't one needed in this debate,but insinuating the "anti woke" folks here as racists

A great many are.

Anti-woke folks, by definition, are unaware of - or refuse to acknowlege - injustice in society. There are surely some ignorant people out there that believe that has not been any injustice in our society against any groups of people (blacks, Jews, women, gays etc.)  However, most people are indeed aware of the injustices that have been done to those groups (and are still being done) and simply refuse to acknowlege it.  The #1 cause of that is bigotry against those groups.

(edited)
On 1/19/2023 at 5:44 PM, SkyDekker said:

yeah they gained like 120% in those anti-woke 12 months starting in March 2020. Now they are back in the ballpark they have been since 2015...clearly all to do with wokeness.

2015 stock price 7 years later, cut the dividend to 0.0% and Mr. Paycheck {Chapec} needs to find a paycheck.Bobby  comes back rite where he left it. Bravo. I never insinuated DIS was going BK.

The upshot buying Disney at 2015 prices with Igar at the helm. A dividend needs to be reinstated and a market cap double to 2021 highs quite the challenge, but not impossible...clearly though "don't say gay".

Edited by richravizza

1 hour ago, billvon said:

A great many are.

Anti-woke folks, by definition, are unaware of - or refuse to acknowlege - injustice in society, by definition.  There are surely some ignorant people out there that believe that has not been any injustice in our society against any groups of people (blacks, Jews, women, gays etc.)  However, most people are indeed aware of the injustices that have been done to those groups (and are still being done) and simply refuse to acknowlege it.  The #1 cause of that is bigotry against those groups.

I am clearly aware of and acknowlege injustice,but the answer can not be more injustice. I find Diversity itself a fallacy abstract, as it does not take into account for the differences between individuals within the "diversified" group. Take our conversations for example we couldn't be more diversified.

My next door neighbor is a black man, when it comes to our kids education and their Vax status, our family, our country,our religious freedom,our 2A, tax's and a dozen other issues,we agree. You see it's not whats on the outside that makes us different.

I noticed that whites were not listed i guess they don't face injustice.I would think foster children,orphans of the state are facing the most injustice of society,regardless of race.

9 hours ago, richravizza said:

I am clearly aware of and acknowlege injustice

Awesome!  

But there's an important question here.  Now that you are woke - are you a joke?

I find Diversity itself a fallacy abstract, as it does not take into account for the differences between individuals within the "diversified" group.

Of course it does.  There is diversity of thought, of race, of experience, of gender, of approach, of sexual orientation, of physical ability, and of skills.  Those are very overlapping groups.

I noticed that whites were not listed i guess they don't face injustice.

Whites are not listed . . . where?  They are certainly not a RACIAL group that has experienced much injustice, since they have been in charge of things in the West for a few thousand years.  However, white gay men have faced a huge amount of discrimination, injustice and violence over the past century or so.  But that's a group that is identified (and discriminated against) by its sexual orientation, not its race or gender.

On 1/25/2023 at 5:01 PM, winsor said:

Thankfully REM was never really know for much activism, so who really could have known...right....

• Like 1

17 hours ago, richravizza said:

2015 stock price 7 years later, cut the dividend to 0.0% and Mr. Paycheck {Chapec} needs to find a paycheck.Bobby  comes back rite where he left it. Bravo. I never insinuated DIS was going BK.

The upshot buying Disney at 2015 prices with Igar at the helm. A dividend needs to be reinstated and a market cap double to 2021 highs quite the challenge, but not impossible...clearly though "don't say gay".

Looks like you saw a meme but really have no clue what is actually happening. Disney stock has been on a relatively same level from 2015 to 2020. Then in 2020 the price went up by 120%. Now it is down what it went up and back to a historically appropriate level.

Wonder what happened in early part of 2020 that would have skyrocketed a stock price for a product that brought entertainment directly into a home? 

1 hour ago, winsor said:

Transgender men => wimmen have an unfair advantage in sporting events.  There's no way a natural-born woman can keep up with someone who was born male.

This is proof positive:

Hi winsor,

Re:  There's no way a natural-born woman can keep up with someone who was born male.

Battle of the Sexes (tennis) - Wikipedia

Jerry Baumchen

(edited)
2 hours ago, JerryBaumchen said:

Hi winsor,

I do NOT come here to be entertained.

I was responding to your obviously wrong, blanket statement:  There's no way a natural-born woman can keep up with someone who was born male.

Jerry Baumchen

Okay, so you're not amused.

Mick Jagger's comment regarding being able to take a joke comes to mind.

Make that Bill Murray: "Lighten up, Francis."

Edited by winsor

2 hours ago, JerryBaumchen said:

Hi winsor,

I do NOT come here to be entertained.

I was responding to your obviously wrong, blanket statement:  There's no way a natural-born woman can keep up with someone who was born male.

Jerry Baumchen

Jerry, you are right in an absolutest sense but as a general proposition born males will have an advantage. The problem isn't that but rather the framework of sport being a decider of societal advantage.