5 5
winsor

Woke is a Joke

1 hour ago, metalslug said:

Agreed; in regard to anyone making a fuss over the (lack of) diversity of the performers.

Equally true though; if the halftime had been an 'all-white' show the lefties would be 'having a field day' over it. It's silly no matter which side does it.

Absolutely.  I look forward to the day where it's just not that big a deal.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, BIGUN said:

I think they just told the world it could use some more awareness.

I don't follow basketball, but this does not appear to be the guy of expensive sneaker fame.

The twitter account associated with this seems kinda icky.

1 hour ago, lippy said:

I figured its about time we had some jokes going with this thread.

After listening to  Cruz; I think I see where a couple on here get their platform from, rather than cracking a book on the subject. It reminds me of TQM in corporate America. Those who studied it and knew it well, those who thought they knew what it was and turned their nose up at it, and those who didn't know anything about it, but made money selling programs. I used to say that Deming was turning over in his grave.   

It seems the demand for racism sometimes outstrips the supply;

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10531443/Black-female-student-racist-graffiti-Sacramento-high-schools-water-fountains.html

Also not the first time something like this has happened.

Yeah high school kids do stupid shit.  Some of them are misguided, some of them are attention whores, some of them are straight up fucking idiots.  

So is your point that this girl in Sacramento, the kid in the other link you pasted above and Jussie Smollett completely canceled out racism between the three of them? 

5 hours ago, lippy said:

Yeah high school kids do stupid shit.  Some of them are misguided, some of them are attention whores, some of them are straight up fucking idiots.  

So is your point that this girl in Sacramento, the kid in the other link you pasted above and Jussie Smollett completely canceled out racism between the three of them? 

If real incidents of this type were happening with any regularity in the respective locations where staged incidents occur, then one could play the victim without a need to stage them. In a broader world real racism exists, for sure, but these kinds of staged incidents (possibly several more that weren't caught on camera) do not advance a constructive agenda. 

Edited by metalslug

10 hours ago, lippy said:

I don’t think you read the first sentence about the demand for racism outstripping the supply of it.  Old racism was segregation, lynching and Jim Crow.  New racism is micro-aggression, cultural appropriation and being white.  The bar for what is considered to be racist has been lowered to meet the demand.

6 hours ago, metalslug said:

If real incidents of this type were happening with any regularity in the respective locations where staged incidents occur, then one could play the victim without a need to stage them. In a broader world real racism exists, for sure, but these kinds of staged incidents (possibly several more that weren't caught on camera) do not advance a constructive agenda. 

I dunno, the right seems to be considering this a constructive agenda.  

Yes, the bar for racism has, in fact, been lowered. Being lynched is no longer the sole qualifier; then they went and included codified/legalized institutional discrimination (military, school, housing, movement). And they still weren't happy! We leveled the playing field, and keep on going with the scores we had -- because we earned those scores, dammit! There was no entitlement whatsoever in the 300 points I personally accumulated, standing right in front of the goal with a tilted field!

It's the abuse of institutional, social, and corporate power. For so long in society that power was codified that one can't necessarily get it exactly right in trying to equalize. But being perfect as measured against changing goalposts is no longer an essential quality for an underdog -- not a minority, not an immigrant, not a woman.

The goalposts are set and performance evaluated by people in power. And as long as they evaluate personally, rather than blindly (consider the proliferation of women in orchestras with the initiation of blind tryouts), people are going to favor those they identify with, whose "minor errors" they can imagine making

Wendy P.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

If the law is not applied equally across populations with similar offense histories, then it’s the enforcement that’s racist. And maybe the law is too good a tool for racists. I wonder if all the anti-mask rangers (who I’ll bet are less likely than many to wear a mandatory helmet on a bike, if they’d be caught dead on a bike that is) are stopped as often. 

Wendy P. 

12 hours ago, wmw999 said:

The goalposts are set and performance evaluated by people in power. And as long as they evaluate personally, rather than blindly (consider the proliferation of women in orchestras with the initiation of blind tryouts), people are going to favor those they identify with, whose "minor errors" they can imagine making.

Agreed to a large extent, but 'people in power' cover the full spectrum of political diversity.  Every job interview I've ever attended consisted of at least two interviewers and one of them was always a HR department representative. Typically their role is to ensure an impartial and unbiased interview process and also to evaluate if the candidate fits the 'company culture' and 'team player' suitability and, in doing so, may actually apply a bias. Consider a candidate employee transitioning from Fox News to Washington Post. Consider candidates for employ in your own team; someone having the rim of a MAGA hat peeking out of their laptop bag, a strong alpha (possibly abrasive) personality and a stellar technical and academic record. Would you truly discount every quality except the last one (technical merit) and pick that guy to work in your office, on your team ?

Agreed to a large extent, but 'people in power' cover the full spectrum of political diversity.  Every job interview I've ever attended consisted of at least two interviewers and one of them was always a HR department representative. Typically their role is to ensure an impartial and unbiased interview process and also to evaluate if the candidate fits the 'company culture' and 'team player' suitability and, in doing so, may actually apply a bias.

Hmm, that hasn't been true at any of the companies I've been at.  There's always an HR person of course, and their job with the candidate is to explain the basic requirements for the job (i.e. green card or citizenship, hours, expectations) and perhaps _explain_ the company culture - but they do not make any decisions about who to hire.  That is always up to either the manager hiring the person or the team of skill-appropriate interviewers (usually a combination of both.)

From the perspective of both a hiring manager and a person on a hiring team, culture fit is often considered.  Making sure that the culture fit is based on actual quantifiable job-related parameters (i.e. "we need someone comfortable with more ambiguous direction" or "we need someone who will be willing to work a lot of overtime" or even "we need someone charismatic for media interface") rather than a criterion like "he looks like the rest of us so he will probably fit in here" is critical, and dealing with that both before and after the interviews IS an important function of HR.  (They do that by having guidelines and ground rules, and through actual training for inteviewers.)

Is that line hard to draw?  You bet it is.  It is tremendously hard.  And understanding your biases going into such an interview is central to managing them.  The interviewer most likely to hire due to bias is the interviewer who is certain he has no biases - someone who laughs at the idea that they might not be totally race, gender, orientation etc blind.

8 hours ago, metalslug said:

Typically their role is to ensure an impartial and unbiased interview process

The existence of the interview actually introduces the bias already. 

There's a reason why clinical trials are DOUBLE blind, not just single-blind - because even the medics conducting the trials will have their own unconscious biases. No one is immune to them.

To have unbiased hiring, it has to be more like a double-blind process as well - any biasing information needs to be hidden (at least temporarily) from the hiring decision makers. This includes: names (possibly ethnic-sounding), faces, maybe even university names. The only thing you need is to verify the actual knowledge of the subject area. Once the hiring decision has been made then you can unblind the possibly biasing data if there's any legal or technical need to do so.

20 minutes ago, gowlerk said:

I seriously can't see anything to laugh at here. Or any other reaction. Nothing, I don't get it.

Men's nonbinary shirts and women's nonbinary shirts?  It was cute.

(Useless note - for the last World Team I was on, all the swag I got was women's.  Sized right, somehow, but women's - which was odd since all the men's shirts we got from local shops were two sizes too small.  Never knew women had the zipper pull on the opposite side.)