5 5
winsor

Woke is a Joke

1 hour ago, winsor said:

Nothing Woke about firing someone for conduct unbecoming.

Why would making "monkey signs" to a black player be unbecoming?  This is hockey, after all.  That wouldn't have been offensive to a white player and you've told us all along that treating black and white players differently is racism.

28 minutes ago, billvon said:

Why would making "monkey signs" to a black player be unbecoming?  This is hockey, after all.  That wouldn't have been offensive to a white player and you've told us all along that treating black and white players differently is racism.

What he cannot do, for all of his erudition, is explain how a society could function equitably using his point of view. 

4 hours ago, winsor said:

Since we're talking legislators, their commonality is much greater with biker trash than NASA.  Same math and science requirements.

In lawmaking "compromise" has more in common with working out the details of gang rape than of systems optimization for space flight.

In context my analogy holds.

What analogy??? You straight up called it "the hallmark of mediocrity." 

You're cute when you back peddle 

(edited)
12 hours ago, billvon said:

In hockey you're expected to hit people in the face.  Whatever making "monkey signs" is, it's insufficiently violent and thus unprofessional.

Why do you always talk about racism?  It's reminiscent of the patient who sees prurient images in every ink blot.

"You have a dirty mind!"

"Hey, you're the one showing me all the dirty pictures."

Edited by winsor

2 hours ago, JoeWeber said:

For sure you would be mystified. It's a principle before profit thing.

Hehe...you don't seriously believe that Joni or Neil needs the money do you?  If they were struggling artists you can bet it wouldn't make the news, and struggling artists wouldn't pull their work for principle.

1 hour ago, airdvr said:

Hehe...you don't seriously believe that Joni or Neil needs the money do you?  If they were struggling artists you can bet it wouldn't make the news, and struggling artists wouldn't pull their work for principle.

A classic error made is the presumption that money doesn't matter to those with a surplus. 

1 hour ago, JoeWeber said:

A classic error made is the presumption that money doesn't matter to those with a surplus. 

True, but both of them have:

1 - Enough money to put principles first, and enough other sources of income that they can tell Spotify 'goodbye'.

2 - A fairly long history of putting principles before money.

2 hours ago, airdvr said:

You actually seem confused what people will do for principle.

According to you those NASA scientists who agree with climate change are only in it for the money, yet when Joni or Neil do something out of principle, it's only because they don't need the money.

In both cases you're extremely condescending...

12 hours ago, JoeWeber said:

Don't over stress your noodle. Even if you could understand it you don't want to, your whole schtick would fall apart.

To paraphrase Upton Sinclair, it is difficult to get a man to understand something when his entire ego depends upon his not understanding it.

On 1/24/2022 at 9:48 PM, winsor said:

Why do you always talk about racism?  It's reminiscent of the patient who sees prurient images in every ink blot.

"You have a dirty mind!"

"Hey, you're the one showing me all the dirty pictures."

Perhaps much like the Rockies 'Dinger' incident which was also a 'racial incident' until more rational minds opened their f***ing ears.

7 hours ago, metalslug said:

Perhaps much like the Rockies 'Dinger' incident which was also a 'racial incident' until more rational minds opened their f***ing ears.

OMFG — an innocent person was accused of being a racist! That certainly demolishes the possibility that there is still racism out there. There must be absolutely no false accusations before one can believe any of them. Kind of like sexual harassment. Those women and minorities have to be punished for false accusations against fine upstanding people! If a few guilty ones get by, that’s all in the interests of protecting them! False accusations of racism/sexual aggression are far worse than actual racism or sexual aggression, I guess.

Ya can’t get them all right. But if only one “side” has to be protected at all costs, the issue is institutionalized

Wendy P. 

• Like 3

(edited)
3 hours ago, wmw999 said:

...If a few guilty ones get by, that’s all in the interests of protecting them! False accusations of racism/sexual aggression are far worse than actual racism or sexual aggression, I guess...

Well, one of the foundations of American criminal law is the presumption of innocence.

Going back even further, Sir William Blackstone is credited with the quote:

Blackstone's most famous quote was, "Better ten guilty men escape than one innocent man suffer." This quote would later be called "Blackstone's Formulation."  Blackstone's focus on the Rule of Law and his contributions to legal education and thought would become a cornerstone of the American government.

Source: https://flexbooks.ck12.org/user:zxbpc2rzcziwmthaz21hawwuy29t/cbook/episd-united-states-government-2019-2020/section/1.3/primary/lesson/1.3-important-individuals/

I thought it was Jefferson who said it, so I learned something today.

That doesn't mean that false accusations should result in abandoning ANY investigation of accusations, but that we need to maintain balance.

The last part of Wendy's comment (that I cut out) addresses this.

Edit to add:

The Neil Young/Spotify thing is getting interesting.

His music represents a tiny fraction of the content on the platform, but his fans are rather vociferous.

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2022/01/spotify-support-buckles-under-complaints-from-angry-neil-young-fans/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=news_tab&fbclid=IwAR2f3e7M_TP4OHEt79UoiyODVcsd59DKxkIoW5kXEwW4AP1TSWuuFvPQWsA

Customer support was overloaded.
Their Twitter feed shut down.
Their stock is tanking.

Uh oh.

Edited by wolfriverjoe

5 hours ago, wmw999 said:

Ya can’t get them all right. But if only one “side” has to be protected at all costs, the issue is institutionalized

And if people learned about that, they might not put up with institutionalized racism or sexism any more.

No wonder the South has banned the teaching of CRT.

I like Snoop's work...most of it anyways.  But if this is who you want in your Super Bowl halftime show then woke is truly a joke.  Cute signs on helmets and end zones are a great way to stop hate.

All you niggas out there
Take your guns that you using to shoot each other
And start shooting these bitch ass motherfucking police
That'll impress a motherfucking nigga like me
The crooked motherfuckers
'Cause these police getting way too motherfucking outta line

Sixty-two officers were killed by guns last year, a 36% increase from 2020, the report said. Most of them were killed with handguns, and 19 died after being ambushed.

1 hour ago, airdvr said:

I like Snoop's work...most of it anyways.  But if this is who you want in your Super Bowl halftime show then woke is truly a joke.  Cute signs on helmets and end zones are a great way to stop hate.

All you niggas out there
Take your guns that you using to shoot each other
And start shooting these bitch ass motherfucking police
That'll impress a motherfucking nigga like me
The crooked motherfuckers
'Cause these police getting way too motherfucking outta line

Sixty-two officers were killed by guns last year, a 36% increase from 2020, the report said. Most of them were killed with handguns, and 19 died after being ambushed.

I don't really think I'd put the NFL in the 'woke' category.

Snoop is a big time star and that's who does the SB half time.

I gotta say it's ironic that you blame Snoop for calling out the hate that minorities feel towards the cops (with some VERY valid reasons) and fail to call for the cops to be held accountable for their actions. Or for stronger enforcement of gun laws.

As a side note, the guy who 'straw purchased' the rifle that Rittenhouse used got a plea deal. $2000 and misdemeanor conviction for 'contributing to the delinquency of a minor'. 
Long, long, looooooong way from the Class G felony punishment of 10 years and $250000 that a straw purchase can result in.