5 5
winsor

Woke is a Joke

9 minutes ago, winsor said:

An endless wellspring of sources to discredit anything Woke there is:

https://www.city-journal.org/black-lives-matter-reuters-and-the-price-of-dissent?wallit_nosession=1

He got fired, supposedly for a political/social disagreement. I would bet that there is a completely different narrative from the point of view of the company who fired hm. I that is really what happened at all. I must admit that I did not read the whole very lengthy story of how he was wronged. But apparently you and he are both fully woke to what discrimination feels like to experience. I sure hope that no one at Reuters HR ever kneels on his neck until he expires.

2 hours ago, gowlerk said:

He got fired, supposedly for a political/social disagreement. I would bet that there is a completely different narrative from the point of view of the company who fired hm. I that is really what happened at all. I must admit that I did not read the whole very lengthy story of how he was wronged. But apparently you and he are both fully woke to what discrimination feels like to experience. I sure hope that no one at Reuters HR ever kneels on his neck until he expires.

Agreed.  That would be a bad thing.

3 hours ago, winsor said:

An endless wellspring of sources to discredit anything Woke there is:

https://www.city-journal.org/black-lives-matter-reuters-and-the-price-of-dissent?wallit_nosession=1

The free market doesn't exist for Reuters? Interesting how a Manhattan Institute publication is upset a company is exercising their free market rights and principles.

More and more I am starting to believe that the only "right" right-wing Americans are interested in is the "right" not to have to face any consequences.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, SkyDekker said:

More and more I am starting to believe that the only "right" right-wing Americans are interested in is the "right" not to have to face any consequences.

Of course.

Cops ask a black man for ID before letting him into a county building: "Well, we all have to do things we don't like.  It's called being a responsible member of society and obeying the law."

Worker asks a white man for proof of vaccination before letting him into an airport: "That's just like HITLER!"

(edited)

I just kind of like this

2022-01-12_13-27-37.jpg?itok=tUZmEstB

“Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners.”

- George Carlin

Cancel culture - political correctness amped up on steroids, the self-righteousness of a narcissistic age, and a mass-marketed pseudo-morality that is little more than fascism disguised as tolerance - has shifted us into an Age of Intolerance, policed by techno-censors, social media bullies, and government watchdogs.

Edited by winsor

1 hour ago, Stumpy said:

Of course you do. It fits your sadly misguided and misinformed agenda.

Funny how the 'conservatives' scream 'cancel culture!!!' when people want to remove statues of traitorous losers because it 'ignores our history', yet refuse to allow teaching that actually examines that same 'history'.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, wolfriverjoe said:

Funny how the 'conservatives' scream 'cancel culture!!!' when people want to remove statues of traitorous losers because it 'ignores our history', yet refuse to allow teaching that actually examines that same 'history'.

I suppose that's one way of looking at it.

I like the Onion's treatment of "Misremember the Alamo!," which pretty much nails the garbled treatment of the subject so typical in popular 'culture.'  Ron Howard's film addressed the subject in a manner more consistent with the documented realities than did the fanciful film starring John Wayne et al.  Texas seceded from Mexico for slavery, rather than 'freedom,' and the decisions related to defending the Alamo were more ill-considered than heroic.

Similarly, any account of "Custer's Last Stand" that bemoans the lack of survivors to tell the tale rather overlooks the fact that there were indeed thousands of survivors, rather a few of whom provided eyewitness accounts of the fracas.

"Examining" History through a lens focused solely on one issue is bad, regardless of which issue is under consideration.  A legitimate treatment of History is generally dispassionate, and takes a skeptical view of popular accounts.

When an account indicates a particular bias, I'm with Dr. Peter Venckman (" I'm fuzzy on the whole good/bad thing"}, and I prefer to focus on the data.  Paymaster's records are preferable to the accounts given to the King by his minstrel.

I'm not supporting whoever or whatever you deem to be 'conservative' so much as to point out that anything Woke is guaranteed to take any point that may have merit and ensure that it is rendered chock full of shit.

BSBD,

Winsor

26 minutes ago, winsor said:

When an account indicates a particular bias, I'm with Dr. Peter Venckman (" I'm fuzzy on the whole good/bad thing"}, and I prefer to focus on the data.  Paymaster's records are preferable to the accounts given to the King by his minstrel.

The data that was recorded was often recorded by the story that’s desired. Sometimes it takes a deliberate effort to look at history through a different lens. Then you debate whether that lens adds or not. 
Wendy P. 

1 hour ago, winsor said:

You keep saying this, but your posting history here suggest this is absolutely false. Whenever data doesn't support your bias, you start posting biased opinion pieces with some misrepresented data. When challenged, you say you just posted it cause you thought it was an interesting read.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, SkyDekker said:

You keep saying this, but your posting history here suggest this is absolutely false. Whenever data doesn't support your bias, you start posting biased opinion pieces with some misrepresented data. When challenged, you say you just posted it cause you thought it was an interesting read.

You noticed that huh?

20 minutes ago, BIGUN said:

I didn't think the irony scale could peg out that far, but . . .

Andrew Sullivan 

Yes, the culture warriors who insist that the European Heritage is what defines the USA and can "Never Be Forgotten" also say that the history of everyone else is just ancient and irrelevant and to "Just Get Over It".