5 5
winsor

Woke is a Joke

On 12/22/2021 at 5:42 AM, winsor said:

This could go in a number of threads, but since either of these guys are the antithesis of Woke, this is as good a place as any.

The usual suspects will attack the source rather than the content, but I'd worry if that didn't happen.

Woke is a disease of denial, so have at it.

BSBD,

Winsor

One of the starting premises by Paul is that people are either completely supportive of Fauci or are completely against him. This is a false premise set to frame a conversation later on.

Paul claims Fauci sets government dogma. Then why has this dogma changed between different governments that have as the only constant Fauci for 40 years.

He also misquotes Fauci who said he represents science in the vaccine and covid debate, which Paul then restates as Fauci saying he is science.

This is all in the first 5 minutes, I stopped after that. Other than this appearing to line up with your opinions, what is in the slightest interesting about it?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SkyDekker said:

This is all in the first 5 minutes, I stopped after that. Other than this appearing to line up with your opinions, what is in the slightest interesting about it?

I guess your tolerance and curiosity are both stronger than mine. I did not even consider clicking on it. 

2 hours ago, winsor said:

I think this rather validates my thesis that source is valued over content.

Good for you.

1. Skydekker already effectively made the video look dumb.

2. You have a consistent record of posting lies and disinformation while pretending to be smart - at this point, it's pure masochism to click on anything.

On 12/18/2021 at 8:13 AM, wmw999 said:

I have feeling they'll, ahem, edit it.

Yeah, I think they realize that if they ended it they would be out of power almost instantly.  So they will do something to appease their base while not alienating the rest of the country _too_ much.

7 hours ago, billvon said:

Yeah, I think they realize that if they ended it they would be out of power almost instantly.  So they will do something to appease their base while not alienating the rest of the country _too_ much.

Now you are assuming that a Justice has to think like a politician. They don't actually have a "base" to appease. They are appointed for life as you know. I am thinking that there will soon be 50 different laws governing how abortion is or is not regulated in your nation. There are going to be some very angry people when this happens. It will lead to "interesting" times. 

5 hours ago, gowlerk said:

Now you are assuming that a Justice has to think like a politician. They don't actually have a "base" to appease. They are appointed for life as you know. 

That used to be true.  I think it was made very clear to the more recent justices who they serve (and it's not the American people.)

4 hours ago, billvon said:

That used to be true.  I think it was made very clear to the more recent justices who they serve (and it's not the American people.)

When it becomes 100% predictable how a justice will vote on an issue based on who appointed them, it is clear that we no longer have a 3rd independent branch of government.

It turns out that Elon Musk shares my view that Woke is a "mind virus," and the Woke crowd consists of humorless, hateful, divisive, totalitarian assholes.

I recall Nietzsche's observation (auf deutsch) to the effect that those who do battle with monsters must take care not to become monsters themselves.  Thus it is not surprising that the 'Anti Fascists' resemble nothing more than Brown Shirts reborn (Kristallnacht was largely peaceful...).

BSBD,

Winsor

While the excesses of Nobility in France in the late 18th Century were appalling, so was the reaction of the masses ('let them eat cake,' A Tale of Two Cities, etc.).  Robespierre had it coming.

Similarly, many of the issues pointed out by the Woke are real but, as is usual, just because what you point out is a problem, what you recommend is anything but a solution.  I am hardly alone in noticing that:

https://michaelshellenberger.substack.com/p/why-black-moderates-awoke-the-woke

The 'nature vs. nurture' discussion provides fodder for an endless flow of literature and scripts, including 'The Prince and the Pauper,' 'The Ugly Duckling,' 'Pudd'nhead Wilson,' Ellie in 'The Ice Age,' 'The Jerk' and so forth, but the inability to separate the two will forever muddy the waters in trying to address whatever problems relate to two differing populations.

I enjoy reading Mencken.  Though I'm hardly in lock step with his world view across the board, his insight was often right on the money.  His observation that "for every complex problem there exists a solution that is simple, elegant and wrong" applies nicely to damn near anything Woke.

BSBD,

Winsor

8 hours ago, winsor said:

I enjoy reading Mencken.  Though I'm hardly in lock step with his world view across the board, his insight was often right on the money.  His observation that "for every complex problem there exists a solution that is simple, elegant and wrong" applies nicely to damn near anything Woke.

BSBD,

Winsor

I think this thread is a joke, which is why I’ve had no interest in participating, but this is the most ironic thing yet that you’ve posted to it.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, BIGUN said:

Are you talking, Mencken the Journalist or someone else? Cause Mencken the Journalist was an anti-semite and bigot.   

A remarkable number of prominent Americans were Nazi sympathizers up until December 1941, and some actively helped the Nazis even after that.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2004/sep/25/usa.secondworldwar

44 minutes ago, kallend said:

A remarkable number of prominent Americans were Nazi sympathizers up until December 1941, and some actively helped the Nazis even after that.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2004/sep/25/usa.secondworldwar

Hi John,

If what I have read over the last 50+ yrs is close to accurate, it was not just the USA.  The United Kingdom had them also.  Many countries did.

Jerry Baumchen

1 hour ago, kallend said:

The inevitable evolution of the white power movement in the USA will be to start claiming the Nazis weren't all that bad.  "Well, sure they did some bad stuff, but the lying mainstream media is making them out to be some evil spawn of Satan and that's a complete lie."

2 hours ago, billvon said:

The inevitable evolution of the white power movement in the USA will be to start claiming the Nazis weren't all that bad.  "Well, sure they did some bad stuff, but the lying mainstream media is making them out to be some evil spawn of Satan and that's a complete lie."

We might even have a sitting president call them 'very fine people'.

Oh...
Wait...

We did.

• Like 1