5 5
winsor

Woke is a Joke

9 hours ago, metalslug said:

There's a truckload of songs that have 'non-mainstream' lyrics in them and I expect most people did not (and do not) concern themselves much if they are more interested in melody than lyrics.

Of course.  Music does not drive culture; music is, however, a product of culture.  And the culture that produced that music included quite a lot of transgenderism.  (Even if people ignore the words, few people of that era have not seen Boy George.)  Many people were no doubt ignoring it and hoping it would go away.  But the idea that this "gender identity" issue is a new phenomenon that will wreak havoc with our society is, like I said, pretty funny.

The degree of gender identity enthusiasm that we see now is relatively new.

Again, no - see above.   Also note that all the transgender people who we are seeing now who have transitioned did so years, often decades, ago.

It IS likely that, like Pride parades, conservatives have simply been able to ignore it until now.  Now that it is more difficult to ignore, they have gone from ignoring it to the same "Stop shoving it down my throat!" cry that they used while gay marriage legalization was in process.

5 hours ago, winsor said:

Say or do anything to piss them off and they will burn down anything or trash anything in a fit of moral indignation.

You mean - like trying to trash an entire field of study (or even an entire religion) due to their outrage and moral indignation?  

I never knew you considered yourself so woke!

2 hours ago, metalslug said:

That last line is subjective opinion. I'm sure you're aware of incidents in which someone was harmed.

Due to their gender identity?  Or due to the fact that they are criminals?

I mean, if someone associated you with the Nazi demonstrators at the Charlottesville Rally I assume you would take offense, and point out that just because you were on the same side of the aisle as those people, it did not mean you actually had anything else in common with them.

2 hours ago, metalslug said:

That last line is subjective opinion. I'm sure you're aware of incidents in which someone was harmed. Not many incidents, I concede, but a higher tolerance over time logically suggests a future of higher incidents, until a question is reached of how many incidents would people be willing to 'get used to' ? 

Pretty sure more girls have been raped by straight men than by men pretending to be women. So, guess we better make heterosexuality illegal?

45 minutes ago, SkyDekker said:

Pretty sure more girls have been raped by straight men than by men pretending to be women. So, guess we better make heterosexuality illegal?

No, you silly goose.

Straight men pretending to be trans to rape women means all trans people are bad and should be discriminated against.

Straight men raping women while maintaining their hetero identity are just "boys being boys" and should be allowed to continue their 'fun'.

We really need a 'sarcasm' font.

1 hour ago, billvon said:

You mean - like trying to trash an entire field of study (or even an entire religion) due to their outrage and moral indignation?  

I never knew you considered yourself so woke!

10,000 comedians out of work and you keep saying silly stuff like this.

You should be ashamed of yourself.

2 hours ago, winsor said:

10,000 comedians out of work and you keep saying silly stuff like this.

You should be ashamed of yourself.

The good news is you have strong support from Kid Rock, who released a new video in your honour:

Don't tell me how to live

Weird Al Yankovic won the internet for the next few weeks though:

Murdered by words.

9 hours ago, billvon said:

But the idea that this "gender identity" issue is a new phenomenon that will wreak havoc with our society is, like I said, pretty funny.

Funny for you? Fair enough. Perhaps much like 'being alpha' is funny for them. It's existed for ages so why fuss now?  I'm not aware of cases from the 70's and 80's in which biological men were placed in women's prisons, or loudly expressing an entitlement to use women's public facilities, or participate in (and sometimes win) an expressly women's event or award. Not to hash this further, it's been covered in previous posts.  

1 hour ago, metalslug said:

Funny for you? Fair enough. Perhaps much like 'being alpha' is funny for them. It's existed for ages so why fuss now?  I'm not aware of cases from the 70's and 80's in which biological men were placed in women's prisons

In 1980, the norm in California was to place transgender women in women's prisons, and transgender men in men's prisons.  They based it on genitals, not biology.  So yes, this has been going on for decades (and we've been dealing with it for decades.)

1 minute ago, billvon said:

In 1980, the norm in California was to place transgender women in women's prisons, and transgender men in men's prisons.  They based it on genitals, not biology.  So yes, this has been going on for decades (and we've been dealing with it for decades.)

Excellent point. They were not doing that based on "because I say I'm that gender", which is the direction being taken now.

7 hours ago, SkyDekker said:

The good news is you have strong support from Kid Rock, who released a new video in your honour:

Don't tell me how to live

Last generation telling the next generation "you're all a bunch of pussies!  You're not tough and cool like we were!  Now get off my lawn" is a timeless tradition in conservative circles. 

16 hours ago, metalslug said:

Perhaps much like 'being alpha' is funny for them. It's existed for ages so why fuss now

It was always an issue for people fit the category. It just wasn’t something you could bring up. Kind of like homosexuality, rotten segregated schools, recent history of active racism — all the things (and more) that “nice people” just don’t want to be reminded of.

And because they had the money and political power, that’s just how it worked. 
Wendy P.

16 hours ago, metalslug said:

Excellent point. They were not doing that based on "because I say I'm that gender", which is the direction being taken now.

Yep.  And back then, the hue and cry about transgender people being in the "wrong" prison came to very little as well.

6 minutes ago, winsor said:

Can I offer you some hand lotion?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, winsor said:

Have you ever woke in the middle of the night, angry, wishing you were black? 

5 hours ago, winsor said:

People may bitch all they want about 'systemic racism' (which is by and large illegal)

Tell me about it!  I know several women who bitch about rape all the time, even though it's illegal.  I mean, isn't that enough for them?  Heck, people even bitch about illegal immigration; you don't even have to look that up to know it's illegal.  The word is right there.  What more do people want?

26 minutes ago, billvon said:

Tell me about it!  I know several women who bitch about rape all the time, even though it's illegal.  I mean, isn't that enough for them?  Heck, people even bitch about illegal immigration; you don't even have to look that up to know it's illegal.  The word is right there.  What more do people want?

I apologize.  Systemic racism is perfectly okay, so long as you call it "affirmative action."

What was I thinking?

On 11/23/2021 at 8:11 AM, gowlerk said:

If you are going to insist on calling "woke" a religion, then it is just as valid to consider your "anti-wokism" a religion as well. There goes your claim to be an atheist right out the window.

Woke as a religion was an idea developed by Curtis Yarvin in 2007.  It caught on with a circle of reformed libertarians turned neoreactionaries.  

Bannon and other modern conservatives that ended up in the Trump circle and a few conservative think tanks have neoreactionary ideology as  the center.

Specifically, ultracalvinism (which I have also described here and here) is the primary surviving descendant of the American mainline Protestant tradition, which has been the dominant belief system of the United States since its founding. It should be no surprise that it continues in this role, or that since the US’s victory in the last planetary war it has spread worldwide.

https://www.unqualified-reservations.org/2007/06/ultracalvinist-hypothesis-in/