5 5
winsor

Woke is a Joke

46 minutes ago, BIGUN said:

Woke:  “Aware of and actively attentive to important facts and issues (especially issues of racial and social justice)." ~Merriam-Webster

Woke: "past of wake." "Alert to injustice in society, especially racism." ~Oxford. 

Words are used to communicate. They change over time and take on new meaning as society adopts them into the use of language. To be woke is to be aware. To be woke is to be attentive. To be receptive. To be aware, attentive and receptive are positive traits. Therefore, the title, "Woke is a Joke" is to be un-woke or unaware, inattentive and unreceptive. Personally, I find these traits to be unappealing. 

Unfortunately. the title "Woke is a Joke" leaves no room for exploration. It can only be defended. It's human nature to defend a hard line proclamation. As we get older, we learn that not everything is so definitive. Even math has a flaw. I know I said that I was done with this, but It's been eating on me that we as a society can't even agree, with all the evidence, that while we may have made a lot of progress in civil rights since 1962, we have much further to go. 

I also have a hard time understanding veterans who served with just about every race, color, religion or national origin - who by the very nature of being in the military had to rely on those who were "different" to stay alive - would not be at the front of social justice; rather than the rear.  

The answer to racism is not racism.

The answer to injustice is not further injustice.

The answer to inequality is not "equity."

DeMorgan's Theorem involves achieving elegant results by changing what is or is not true (high or low true), and it is remarkably useful.  Having said that, the 'reframing' upon which Woke is based is profoundly dishonest.

'Woke' is proof of my observation that Orwell was an optimist.

BSBD,

Winsor

(edited)
1 hour ago, BIGUN said:

I also have a hard time understanding veterans who served with just about every race, color, religion or national origin - who by the very nature of being in the military had to rely on those who were "different" to stay alive - would not be at the front of social justice; rather than the rear.  

I never considered race, color, religion or national origin to be much of a difference.  In my military experience, tactical, technical and physical proficiency were much more important.  If you were a stud, you were a stud, If you were a shit bird you were a shit bird, pigmentation mattered not.

Edited by brenthutch

40 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

I never considered race, color, religion or national origin to be much of a difference.  In my military experience, tactical, technical and physical proficiency were much more important.  If you were a stud, you were a stud, If you were a shit bird you were a shit bird, pigmentation mattered not.

Same here.

The likelihood that I spend time with someone off duty was and is unrelated to ethnicity, social status or whatever.

I have known people from humble beginnings who did phenomenally well, others not so well.  Same thing goes for the silver spoon crowd.

I reserve the right to treat people as individuals, which is anathema to Woke.

BSBD,

Winsor

2 hours ago, airdvr said:

Headline: Rutgers professor on white people: ‘We gotta take these motherf—ers out’

Link contains: "rutgers-professor-on-white-people-we-gotta-take-these-motherf-ers-out"

Actual quotes: "White people thought, ‘there is a world here, and we own it.'  So they think black people gonna get them back.  And I wouldn’t be mad at the black people who want to get them back, but what I believe about black people is that we have seen what a shit show this iteration of treatment of other human beings means and that my hope is that we would do it differently in the moments when we have some power.” . . .

"The thing I want to say to you is that we gotta take these motherfuckers out, but like, we can’t say that, right?  I don’t believe in a project of violence. I truly don’t, because in the end, I think our souls suffer from that. And I do think some of this is spiritual condition.”

Funny how looking at the whole quote changes things, eh?

I agree with her.  I've often wanted to say things like that too.  But I don't - because that never solves anything.

7 minutes ago, billvon said:

Headline: Rutgers professor on white people: ‘We gotta take these motherf—ers out’

Link contains: "rutgers-professor-on-white-people-we-gotta-take-these-motherf-ers-out"

Actual quotes: "White people thought, ‘there is a world here, and we own it.'  So they think black people gonna get them back.  And I wouldn’t be mad at the black people who want to get them back, but what I believe about black people is that we have seen what a shit show this iteration of treatment of other human beings means and that my hope is that we would do it differently in the moments when we have some power.” . . .

"The thing I want to say to you is that we gotta take these motherfuckers out, but like, we can’t say that, right?  I don’t believe in a project of violence. I truly don’t, because in the end, I think our souls suffer from that. And I do think some of this is spiritual condition.”

Funny how looking at the whole quote changes things, eh?

I agree with her.  I've often wanted to say things like that too.  But I don't - because that never solves anything.

Not really.

Racism's racism.  Either it's okay or it's not, and I say it's not.

3 minutes ago, winsor said:

Not really.

Racism's racism.  Either it's okay or it's not, and I say it's not.

Okay, so we agree racism's not okay.  Where things diverge is when you think any attempt to so much as acknowledge the existence of it is fighting racism with racism, and that's just about the stupidest fucking idea I've ever heard.  But there's obviously no changing your mind on this, and there's no shortage of links to online stories of extremists who you believe prove your point.  

Continue plugging your ears with your fingers and pretending that everything's just peachy, nothing to see here

• Like 4

3 hours ago, BIGUN said:

Woke:  “Aware of and actively attentive to important facts and issues (especially issues of racial and social justice)." ~Merriam-Webster

Woke: "past of wake." "Alert to injustice in society, especially racism." ~Oxford. 

Words are used to communicate. They change over time and take on new meaning as society adopts them into the use of language. To be woke is to be aware. To be woke is to be attentive. To be receptive. To be aware, attentive and receptive are positive traits. Therefore, the title, "Woke is a Joke" is to be un-woke or unaware, inattentive and unreceptive. Personally, I find these traits to be unappealing. 

Unfortunately. the title "Woke is a Joke" leaves no room for exploration. It can only be defended. It's human nature to defend a hard line proclamation. As we get older, we learn that not everything is so definitive. Even math has a flaw. I know I said that I was done with this, but It's been eating on me that we as a society can't even agree, with all the evidence, that while we may have made a lot of progress in civil rights since 1962, we have much further to go. 

Hi Keith,

During my four yrs of enlistment, I found dipsticks of every race there was.  The worst was a white guy from one of the Carolinas; as lazy as the day is long.  And, just as sloppy.

Opposite of that, were a lot of great guys *; a few I still get together with every year or so.

Just as it is in civilian life.

Jerry Baumchen

*  There were no women enlistees in any unit I served in.  However, there were a few female nurses I would have liked to have 'gotten to know' a little better.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BIGUN said:

Words are used to communicate.

Yep.  Like they say, words mean things.  I have often found that the last refuge of the Internet bloviator is the attempt to redefine a word so as to win his argument.  I've seen it in science forums quite a bit; when someone gets cornered on one of the many perpetual-motion claims, for example, a not-uncommon reply for them is "well, what is efficiency, really?  Couldn't it mean that XXX" where XXX is some alternative definition of efficiency, chosen so that his perpetual motion machine is not violating the laws of thermodynamics.

I find it is often fruitless to continue the discussion after that point.

• Like 1

Comment from Twitter:

"My wife, who works at our local Catholic school, was asked by a parent if the school intended to teach Critical Race Theory.  She said 'explain to me what it is and I will tell you if I teach it.'  The parent had no reply."

Sort of a perfect encapsulation of this whole debate.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, billvon said:

Comment from Twitter:

"My wife, who works at our local Catholic school, was asked by a parent if the school intended to teach Critical Race Theory.  She said 'explain to me what it is and I will tell you if I teach it.'  The parent had no reply."

Sort of a perfect encapsulation of this whole debate.

Equal parts snarkiness and sanctimony.  Well done!

15 minutes ago, SkyDekker said:

In that case everything is a joke.

To a good comedian, yeah.

When "Hogan's Heroes" premiered, people were horrified.  Nazi humor?!!  Not to mention "The Producers" and its "Springtime for Hitler."

Mick Jagger nailed it when he said "fuck 'em if they can't take a joke."

As I said up front, Woke is a joke and those who embrace the ethos are singularly humorless.

BSBD,

Winsor

9 minutes ago, winsor said:

When "Hogan's Heroes" premiered, people were horrified.  Nazi humor?!!  Not to mention "The Producers" and its "Springtime for Hitler."

Interesting you took those as examples and not the horrified reaction to Kaepernick taking a knee and subsequent cancellation of him.

3 hours ago, SkyDekker said:

Interesting you took those as examples and not the horrified reaction to Kaepernick taking a knee and subsequent cancellation of him.

What does an overpaid, self absorbed snowflake have to do with my point (which you missed).

Given the option of playing football or making a political point, he made the call.  Good for him (I really don't care, I don't follow football).

BSBD,

Winsor

3 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

Yep, politicians who worship at the alter of “woke” will find themselves sacrificed on it come the midterms.

Yep. Wokey Jokey will supplant yesterdays Death Panels and Fauci Ouchies. I can not deny it's a winning strategy with the Republican base. You must be thrilled.

11 hours ago, brenthutch said:

Yep, politicians who worship at the alter of “woke” will find themselves sacrificed on it come the midterms.

Just like the last election was a thorough repudiation of the modern Trumpian Republican Party. But hang on a minute - they’ve doubled down on that and might do well again?

It’s almost as if every election isn’t a definitive referendum on social ideology. Who knew?

48 minutes ago, winsor said:

FWIW, the only people I've seen perseverate on race of late are Woke SJW types.

Where Rodney King asked if we can all just get along, in practice we pretty much do.

spacer.png

Sure, in your neighborhoods a Black hasn't been shot for......

• Like 1