5 5
winsor

Woke is a Joke

39 minutes ago, winsor said:

Not only are you evidently incredibly gullible, you and the author are two whiny peas in a victim complex pod.

I mean, what was the point of the South Park story? To show that the author wanted to work for Goldman Sach because he wanted to say he worked for Goldman Sachs… and that means they tricked him into it? How about grow up and take some responsibility for your own actions, bro.

And then the part about pretending they’re socially conscious - well duh, of course they do. But the thing that’s conspicuously lacking is any evidence they’ve actually fooled anyone. The author shows they got regulatory and tax breaks from classic crony capitalism, but what has so called ‘woke capitalism’ actually got them? Who in the left has ever called for Goldman Sachs to be able to do whatever they want because they’re so moral? Who on the left has ever said Amazon is anything other than a soulless, small business destroying mega corp?

On 8/12/2021 at 7:10 AM, wolfriverjoe said:

'Cuz they were black.

Duh.

Could be. Clearly the agent wasn't from C-21 and wearing their gold blazer with C-21 on it. Clearly the agent wasn't from Re/Max because their leased Mercedes would have been out front.

spacer.png

1 hour ago, winsor said:

This is from Fox, so it has to wrong.  Agenda are plural for one example.

What has to be wrong? That video snippet was edited to be entirely information free as to why she resigned or what the alleged agenda were.

When did you become such an uncritical consumer of media opinion?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9899709/Academic-sacked-calling-right-wing-commentator-house-n-o-sues-discrimination.html

A fair bit to be dismayed about here; for me the gemstone is quoted from this other article;

They are meant to make someone feel uncomfortable, but just because something’s offensive doesn’t mean you can’t say it.

I never imagined anyone from the left would make that argument.

28 minutes ago, metalslug said:

I never imagined anyone from the left would make that argument.

I would say that’s just a failing of your imagination, but it’s actually so much worse. You don’t need to imagine it. It happens all the time.

I'm not sure if the authorities are using 'self identification' as a source of entertainment at the expense of the prisoners:

https://www.thedailybell.com/all-articles/news-analysis/lgbtq4gf150-propaganda-roundup-the-injustice-of-transgender-inmates-housed-in-female-prisons/

They seem to be taking their cues from South Park.  Maybe I was wrong about the Woke ideology being humorless and it all really is a joke.

BSBD,

Winsor

1 hour ago, winsor said:

I'm not sure if the authorities are using 'self identification' as a source of entertainment at the expense of the prisoners:

https://www.thedailybell.com/all-articles/news-analysis/lgbtq4gf150-propaganda-roundup-the-injustice-of-transgender-inmates-housed-in-female-prisons/

They seem to be taking their cues from South Park.  Maybe I was wrong about the Woke ideology being humorless and it all really is a joke.

BSBD,

Winsor

Hmmm.That source certainly seems to be impartial and lacking any sort of an agenda. I can understand where your views come from now if thats the garbage you read.

1 hour ago, Stumpy said:

Hmmm.That source certainly seems to be impartial and lacking any sort of an agenda. I can understand where your views come from now if thats the garbage you read.

I stumble across all sorts of things, some of which are from sources of which I do not approve.  If you have reason to dispute the underlying claims, have at it.

I learned long ago that, just because I loathe someone it does not make everything they say wrong.  Similarly, sources I admire greatly don't always get it right.

I have found that various editors filter out quite accurate data that don't fit amongst their agenda, and also include data that turn out to be quite false.  Having said that, I can't bring myself to read the tabloids at the checkout counter - even the covers are depressing.

I do not treat any source as Gospel (including the Gospels), and take under advisement pronouncements from the NYT, NEJM and whatnot.

The major difference between the Daily Bell and the Washington Post is slant.  One reports stories breathlessly while the other is gagging - switch topics and switch who's reacting quite how.

I have come across stories from more sober reporters that noted complaints and suits against the policy of locking up 'women with penises' (or whatever you want to call them) in the general population.  

Again, if you dispute the data, present your case.  If you simply have issue with the source, feel free to cross reference the story with someplace you find more reliable.

BSBD,

Winsor

3 minutes ago, winsor said:

Again, if you dispute the data, present your case. 

No. I don't dispute the data from the Onion for exactly the same reason. If you think thats a credible source, that says a lot about you and has almost no other useful information.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, winsor said:

I stumble across all sorts of things, some of which are from sources of which I do not approve.  If you have reason to dispute the underlying claims, have at it.

I learned long ago that, just because I loathe someone it does not make everything they say wrong.  Similarly, sources I admire greatly don't always get it right.

I have found that various editors filter out quite accurate data that don't fit amongst their agenda, and also include data that turn out to be quite false.  Having said that, I can't bring myself to read the tabloids at the checkout counter - even the covers are depressing.

I do not treat any source as Gospel (including the Gospels), and take under advisement pronouncements from the NYT, NEJM and whatnot.

The major difference between the Daily Bell and the Washington Post is slant.  One reports stories breathlessly while the other is gagging - switch topics and switch who's reacting quite how.

I have come across stories from more sober reporters that noted complaints and suits against the policy of locking up 'women with penises' (or whatever you want to call them) in the general population.  

Again, if you dispute the data, present your case.  If you simply have issue with the source, feel free to cross reference the story with someplace you find more reliable.

BSBD,

Winsor

Story is absolutely useless without stats or comparisons. For such an incredible science mind like yourself, you sure get easily led around.

On 8/16/2021 at 7:10 AM, winsor said:

This is from Fox, so it has to wrong.  Agenda are plural for one example.

What's wrong with that?  She wants to resign, she should resign.  Same thing if she thought it was against God's will to teach blacks or women - or if she thought teaching science meant that the school had a deadly communist bias.  Her life, her decision.

On 8/27/2021 at 3:55 PM, SkyDekker said:

Story is absolutely useless without stats or comparisons. For such an incredible science mind like yourself, you sure get easily led around.

i have found recently that smart folks are the worst for propaganda, or maybe better.  they fall for it quicker and it's almost impossible to convince them they are being duped.  this one is a prime example; seems smart (i don't make those judgements often), but damned if he can't see how badly he is wrong due to several things, confirmation bias being one of the worst.

In Grad School there was a Doctoral Candidate who fancied himself to be a real gearhead.  He bolted a fiberglass body kit onto a VW Beetle chassis and was very proud of his handiwork.

When he tried to register it as a '1938 Frasier-Nash,' the response was "dude, it's a fucking Volkswagen," and it was registered as such.

Another example that comes to mind is the 'Jock Frat' during Undergrad days.  These guys fancied themselves as real badasses, and four of the football player types went into Ye Olde Lamplighter, a bar situated on the Wrong Side of The Tracks (literally), halfway between Sheldon's Harley Davidson and the Hawg Shop.  The sign on the front said "No Hats, No Helmets, No Colors" - our basic outlaw biker bar.

Four of the frat boys took a table and, after a couple of beers, began to talk about how Kawazukis were much better than Harleys and so forth.

A table full of Huns flipped a coin with a table full of Vigilantes, and the Huns won.  The frat boys were duly hospitalized with various fractures, contusions, concussions and whatnot.

The point to this exercise is that it is all well and good to imagine yourself as something you are not, and if it makes you happy that's great.  To expect people to buy into it - beyond the requirements of being polite - is unrealistic.

The flight attendant who decided to transition from male to female only crossed the line with the other employees when he got OUR insurance to pay for it.  The fact that medically justified procedures were out of pocket, but the company decided to fold on this one really annoyed much of the rank and file.  I know of NOBODY that cared one way or another who was straight or gay, and I doubt if anyone would have cared if he had coughed up for the surgery out of his bank account.

If people want to play make-believe, they should take care who they expect to buy into it.

BSBD,

Winsor

42 minutes ago, winsor said:

If people want to play make-believe, they should take care who they expect to buy into it.

I’m guessing that problems you don’t identify with aren’t real to you. Systemic racism, historic impacts of racism, probably (although not probably that I can remember from your posting) much around sexism, and now gender dysphoria. 
Good thing we have people like you who can determine what’s important and worth considering. 
You know, free, white, male, and 21. :/

Wendy P. 

(edited)
1 hour ago, wmw999 said:

I’m guessing that problems you don’t identify with aren’t real to you. Systemic racism, historic impacts of racism, probably (although not probably that I can remember from your posting) much around sexism, and now gender dysphoria. 
Good thing we have people like you who can determine what’s important and worth considering. 

Wendy P. 

Hi Wendy,

Re:  You know, free, white, male, and 21

It's amazing how that still applies in this day & age.  :thumbdown:

Jerry Baumchen

Edited by JerryBaumchen

19 hours ago, wmw999 said:

Wendy P. 

Bad guess.

The issue is not so much that I don't agree that various things are problems, but that I differ greatly regarding what constitutes a 'solution.'

Gays having to be closeted is not okay, and making a big deal about it is not much better.  I'd rather have someone vote for or against the new sewage plant on it's merits, not because they are part of a particular voting bloc - be it Irish Catholics, or Gays or Masons or whatever.

Making a big deal about 'racism' has the unintended consequence of entrenching racial divides, which is a bad thing from where I sit.

If someone wants to live the role of the opposite sex, I don't see the harm in it.  Enough people have regretted surgical 'transition' for me to look askance at vivisection as part of the deal, particularly if I'm expected to pay for it.  People have undergone cosmetic surgery to achieve all sorts of effects, and I am wildly indifferent to the mass majority of it - so long as they pay for it out of pocket.

Effecting 'transition' on little kids or before the age of majority, however, is a REALLY  BAD IDEA.  I know people who thought they were straight until adulthood, people who came out as straight as adults, and what have you.  Adolescents have a poor track record of making long term decisions, and if someone still wants to live life as something else once they reach majority, fine.

I have reported to, and had report to me, people of a pretty wide range of race, sex, sexual preference and so forth.  Since I never dated at work ('don't put your meat where you get your bread'), whether the women with whom I worked were lesbians or breeders was immaterial.  Actually, you're much more likely to hear about family issues, good and bad, amongst straight women; the lesbians with whom I have worked have been very professional and kept their personal lives to themselves.

If someone is an Ed Wood type, who is straight but likes to wear pretty things, or wants to think of themselves as a 'woman,' it's h a matter of indifference in and of itself.

When the papers breathlessly announced that a 'man' had given birth, I was impressed until I found out that this person had an uterus.  Forgive me if I call bullshit on that story.

I don't have any problem jumping with someone I trust in the air, and that has nothing to do with sexual preference, what they wear besides a jumpsuit, what their great grandparents went through and so forth.  I was routinely assigned to mentor stunning females just off student status because my sole focus was keeping them alive.  I took to Al Gramando's policy that dating people for whom you are responsible is unprofessional - and grounds for instant dismissal.

I reserve the right to determine what is important TO ME.  I do not claim that my position is universal, but will certainly call bullshit if someone actively wants me to buy into make-believe.

BSBD,

Winsor

2 hours ago, winsor said:

Gays having to be closeted is not okay, and making a big deal about it is not much better.

Had a friend who was complaining about gay pride celebrations - "if they want equality why are they making a big fuss out of it?"

Following that logic, nobody should be allowed to celebrate their birthday or anything important to them because we're all equal, right?

Birthdays, veterans day, etc. should all be abolished, because it means someone else is more important than you on that day.

And that's really what you're saying about homosexuality - you "support their rights" but you're still more important than they are.

• Like 1