Question

Hello! I am currently on the 10 second free fall step of my static line course and my instructors and I have noticed something. I tend to de-arch when reaching for my ripcord and forget to reach my other hand forward to maintain symmetry. I'm also having a problem keeping my head up looking at the plane. I have been able to correct most stability issues while in air to an ok level but I think the problem stems from me not being alert in the air. I can do everything timed perfectly on the ground and with good technique, but in the air everything kinda goes out the window. Any tips for staying sharp in the air/not being so scared to be alone in the air? Any advice is much appreciated! 

7 answers to this question

So ur learning how to freefall in the air. It can take some jumps before u learn this tequniqe, so dont worry too much you will get better.

my biggest suggestion is to find ur nearest wind tunnel and drive there and spend 10-15 min in the tunnel. This will cost u a little under $200 if u tell them ur a skidiver. The value of doing this will be great. Even if one is far, just make the drive.

other than that, just stick ur dick into the ground lol while in freefall. This “arch” is from the hips and u need to push the hips toward the ground. 

I would totally disagree with tunnel time. the tunnel doesn't replicate FREE FALL.

I would focus on the simple tasks required for the next jump. Because THAT jump is the only one that matters. 

You NEED to relax. Try meditation or other ways to help get the jitters off. Envision the jump and every task you struggle with. We've all been there dude. 

Exit, arch, watch the plane. Relax. The rest is kind of easy, IF YOU RELAX. 

HOPE THIS HELPS.

On 8/24/2021 at 8:59 AM, timski said:

the tunnel doesn't replicate FREE FALL

Yes, it does--that's literally the entire point of it.

On 8/25/2021 at 11:46 AM, nwt said:

Yes, it does--that's literally the entire point of it.

Let me rephrase that, The tunnel can't replicate the exit or the hill. FREEFALL is does... Better. 

Just now, timski said:

Let me rephrase that, The tunnel can't replicate the exit or the hill. FREEFALL is does... Better. 

And for that reason, it's highly beneficial. Being imperfect doesn't make it useless.

12 hours ago, timski said:

Of course you're right that it does,'t...especially if you are talking about group exits or freefly exits (always the one thing that the tunnel rats have problems with...well other than the whole canopy flight)
BUT: I think for beginners it can actually help with that as well. The one thing it really does--if used correctly--is get your body used to the feeling of the air and how your body position affects your relative position in the air, and also simply to psychologically get used to that environment (which is a different component than psychologically getting used to "impending death" or the environment of the sky and "falling", which it doesn't do anything for.)
Years back, I did my AFF, and then did not really want to continue jumping through the winter, so spent a lot of time in the tunnel.
When I did my AFF, one of the main issues was the exit, and especially the fear on the exit, which did not help with control in that phase of the dive. 
When I did a lot of tunnel entries from the door, I realized that the exit from a turbine aircraft, really should feel exactly like entering the tunnel from the door on my belly: There is an existing airflow, and all I am doing is to slide my body belly-to-airflow into that stream, which then immediately "holds me up". This was completely different from how I previously approached exits from the aircraft, which I thought of as "jumping" or "falling down" (which isn't how they actually work.)
So: When I came back to the sky, my exits were immediately different. All I had to do is imagine that the airstream from the tunnel wasn't coming straight from below, but from about 45 degrees down and forward. Then I could slide onto the wind, just as I did in the tunnel. 
Not only did that work from the first time I tried it, it also completely disappeared my fear of the exits: Even though the tunnel environment was so different in terms of the "death" and "falling" factor, my body immediately recognized the feeling of trusting the airflow and that simply made the fear disappear.

• Like 1

A couple of suggestions;

Dirt Dive – Before each training jump do 5,6 ,10 dirt dives for that category specifically. Know your jump inside out.

Get a Mantra – repeat in your head “plane… plane…plane…plane” just as you release. While doing that look at the damn plane! Keep your head back with a hard arch, toe tap etc… When you’re stable do your planned dive, only concentrate on your task at hand, that IMMEDIATE task.

Wind Tunnel – It’ll help… period! If you can get in one, tell the instructor you want to concentrate on stability and the PC pull. Do the PC pull over and over again. I did it with my belly against the wall in my house for hours over winter waiting for AFF to start up in the spring. It was muscle memory by then.

Relax – I have to laugh when I hear this… although it’s true, it’s also true that you’re freaking out and can’t until you have more time in the air. Break down each jump into little tasks during your dirt dives and concentrate on that ONE task only, complete it and move to the next task.

It’ll come around, hang in there!!!!!!!

Tim