2 2
Rio Santonil

Recommendation: Pants / Shorts

Hello everyone,

I'm a fairly new in the sport and slowly compiling my gear. One of the items that seem to be my immediate need are some very durable pants/ shorts that can withstand a slide. Currently, I'm a B license holder which means my designated landing area is located in an area where it is not well maintained. On rare occasions, I need to slide which means I need a durable pants/shorts that have cordura on the butt and knees. I've already purchase (caos) jumpsuits and (vertex) pants but they are taking longer that I expected and I need protection asap.

I'm looking for an inexpensive and alternative clothing (pants or shorts) that has a durable protection for the knees and butt. 

Your input and feedback is greatly appreciated. 

Blue Skies and Fly Happy! 

I jump in cheap BDU camo pants. They come in a variety of colors and have an extra layer of material on the rear and knees,

However I highly recommend learning to PLF and to flare/ land properly. One mistimed slide and hitting on your butt harder than you realized can equal a broken tail bone or worse, spinal compression fractures. Where as a PLF in the same situation would equal a bruised ego and dirty clothes.

Find a canopy coach or get someone to video your landings to get feed back on.

• Like 1

On 7/12/2021 at 7:43 AM, countzero said:

I jump in cheap BDU camo pants. They come in a variety of colors and have an extra layer of material on the rear and knees,

However I highly recommend learning to PLF and to flare/ land properly. One mistimed slide and hitting on your butt harder than you realized can equal a broken tail bone or worse, spinal compression fractures. Where as a PLF in the same situation would equal a bruised ego and dirty clothes.

Find a canopy coach or get someone to video your landings to get feed back on.

Sliding is a good tool to have, and I recommend learning it under direct supervision by a canopy coach. The correct technique does not impact your tailbone.

When I can't wear my swoop shorts I usually just run the $14 Jeans. Fairly rugged and not super expensive to replace if they blow out.

That being said, if you're new to the sport, moderately athletic, and you're flying a modern parachute you should be able to stand up landings.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nwt said:

Ok you're totally right and he's teaching me bad habits

It’s a terrible habit. It’s a last resort, like a PLF. Encouraging people to slide in when they should be able to control their canopy to a stand up landing is not world-class coaching.

32 minutes ago, BMAC615 said:

It’s a terrible habit. It’s a last resort, like a PLF. Encouraging people to slide in when they should be able to control their canopy to a stand up landing is not world-class coaching.

Who here is encouraging anyone to slide in on a landing that could be stood up? Not me. As you say, it's secondary to standing/running much like the PLF. So why teach the PLF but discourage people from learning to slide with appropriate instruction and supervision? Is the PLF also a bad habit?

The PLF is from the days of round parachutes and is intended for landings with a high descent rate, to convert that into forward motion. On modern canopies, it's often the case that you've fully arrested your vertical descent but have too much forward speed to run out. The PLF was never intended for that and sliding works quite well. There is technique to doing it safely... much like the PLF.

not world-class coaching

lol poor attempt at trolling my dude

2 minutes ago, nwt said:

Who here is encouraging anyone to slide in on a landing that could be stood up? Not me. As you say, it's secondary to standing/running much like the PLF. So why teach the PLF but discourage people from learning to slide with appropriate instruction and supervision? Is the PLF also a bad habit?

The PLF is from the days of round parachutes and is intended for landings with a high descent rate, to convert that into forward motion. On modern canopies, it's often the case that you've fully arrested your vertical descent but have too much forward speed to run out. The PLF was never intended for that and sliding works quite well. There is technique to doing it safely... much like the PLF.

lol poor attempt at trolling my dude

Why are you arguing with people who say sliding in is a bad habit? No world-class canopy coach is going to encourage people to slide in their landings in lieu of a proper landing.

3 minutes ago, BMAC615 said:

Why are you arguing with people who say sliding in is a bad habit? No world-class canopy coach is going to encourage people to slide in their landings in lieu of a proper landing.

7 minutes ago, nwt said:

Who here is encouraging anyone to slide in on a landing that could be stood up? Not me.

12 hours ago, BMAC615 said:

It is however possibly the only option if you want to be skydiving in your later years, when your bone structure in your legs naturally weakens and you can no longer get the burst if speed to run off, and a very good skill to develop when you're younger so you dont have to learn it when you need to.

• Like 1

This is me. I’m a PLF’r, not a slider, but it’s basically my first resort — I can choose to stand up at the last minute if it looks perfect, but it’s much harder to choose to PLF at the last minute if it goes to shit. 
Wendy P. 

Again, thank you for all the feedbacks, advices and helpful recommendations. 

It has been enlightening and educational reading all the responses because only 2 persons really responded to my question about the recommended clothing. I had to reread my post because I was wondering whether or not I fully articulated the advise I was seeking about the recommended clothing.

Anyway, I did not intend this post to be an exchange of differing schools of thought about landing techniques. After reviewing all the post, reviewing how many jumps each person that posted and their position on how to land was very informative. As a trivial and side note about myself, after taking a canopy course at jump 27, I began to stand up my landings 99% of the time but I have to admit that I'm not perfect like the others who posted here and so depending on the winds I have to resort to a PLF or a slide landing on 1% of my landings. Please note that I do appreciate everyone's post and take them into consideration, and added them to my skydiving toolkit because I am definitely still learning at 70 jumps young. As far as my approach to canopy downsizing, I've very conservative, prefer to pilot canopies that have a flat glide and powerful flare. 

Again, thank you to the persons that responded to my question and I appreciate all the feedback.  

Blue Skies and Fly Happy!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rio Santonil said:

It has been enlightening and educational reading all the responses because only 2 persons really responded to my question about the recommended clothing. I had to reread my post because I was wondering whether or not I fully articulated the advise I was seeking about the recommended clothing.

Ah! Welcome to dz.com and thread drift ^.^

Wendy P.