4 4
Bonedaddy

Old 10-way team names

I was going through some old log books from the late 70s and early 80s the other day and ran across some great 10-way team names, mostly from the Turkey Meets and Easter Boogies at Z-Hills.  Most of them would not be considered PC today, but I think the creativity back then was great.  Here are some of the ones I found in the logbooks.  Feel free to add more.

Twenty Tits

Nine Holes and a Pole

Crystal Crusiers

The Humpers

Toxic Shock and the Rely-able Ten

Elmer and the Gluebags

Hoof Hearted

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bonedaddy said:

Most of them would not be considered PC today, but I think the creativity back then was great.  Here are some of the ones I found in the logbooks.  Feel free to add more.

I'm sure you know, but for others... Back in those days 10-way was done exclusively from DC-3's. Single file, no show exits (no floaters). The '3 door was part of the puzzle. The exits were... interesting. Speed stars - the drag race of skydiving. Anyway, an all female 10-way team from the west coast was called 'Snatch Force'.

2 hours ago, Bonedaddy said:

Hoof Hearted

That was also the name of a race horse.

• Like 1

"Will the person who sat on my face last night please report to manifest" - Freak Bros Convention 1980s

"Weatherhold" 40 way team in Z-Hills 1980s

- every time our team's name was called, "Weatherhold - 20 minute call" people in the loading area started taking off their rigs, thinking it was a "real" weatherhold.  Never saw George Kabeller that mad, clutching his clip board and screaming "That's a team, not a weatherhold" - caused enough confusion the to interrupt the DC-3s to stop loading until it was sorted out.

Frank

7 hours ago, freeflight6 said:

"Will the person who sat on my face last night please report to manifest" - Freak Bros Convention 1980s

"Weatherhold" 40 way team in Z-Hills 1980s

- every time our team's name was called, "Weatherhold - 20 minute call" people in the loading area started taking off their rigs, thinking it was a "real" weatherhold.  Never saw George Kabeller that mad, clutching his clip board and screaming "That's a team, not a weatherhold" - caused enough confusion to interrupt the DC-3s to stop loading until it was sorted out.

Frank

Circa early-mid 70’s

NE conference: Spaced Rangers, Pieces of Eight, It’s About Time, The Herd.

Mid West: EXITUS. 

From Fla.,(Deland?): Slots are for Tots. 

West Coast: Air Freight. Capt Hook & The Sky Pirates. Rainbow Flyers.

On 7/6/2021 at 9:46 AM, 33zulu said:

Can't forget the Cunning Stunts! 

YES, A truly beautiful bunch of VERY GOOD Skydiving women!!! we volunteered/begged to help them practice door exits… Oh Baby!!! 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, dudeman17 said:

Wasn't that the all amputee group? Among them Al Krueger, Larry Yohn, Jim Statzer...?

Definitely Al Krueger there.

Pieces of Eight were from CT, Mass area; Dan Poynter, Dan Thompson Sr. & some others. 

Capt. Hook etc. YES, Al Kruger and his gang.. not all amputees.. 

On 7/5/2021 at 2:50 PM, dudeman17 said:

I'm sure you know, but for others... Back in those days 10-way was done exclusively from DC-3's. Single file, no show exits (no floaters). The '3 door was part of the puzzle. The exits were... interesting. Speed stars - the drag race of skydiving. 

Remember doing "door jams" next to the toilets at Perris? Teams wore protective gear (shin guards, arm guards) to protect those being dragged out the door with the chunk.

I remember at the Nationals, (maybe Muskogee or Talequah), The midwest guys, Exitus, would do door-jams on the way to altitude. At around 1500’, they would line-up tighten up and do their count with a healthy push. Pretty scary & not “pilot friendly” either.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, kleggo said:

Remember doing "door jams" next to the toilets at Perris? Teams wore protective gear (shin guards, arm guards) to protect those being dragged out the door with the chunk.

I was the “connector” slot on exit, 4th man on the 3 man chunk. Single file, no show exits and only a 3 way base permitted and viewed / verified by Telemeters. If the exits got sloppy,(as they did often), the trailing swoopers would hold on too long and my left shoulder would get hyper extended, (subluxation). Now,(45+ years later) it’s weaker & smaller but sounds like a piece of waxed paper getting crumpled along with pops & creaks.. Still worth it!!

Anybody remember Jerry Birds “Saloon Door” exit?

• Like 2

Post 20... by "mwr" noting from Otay the "Sons of Beeches"  ...  also from Otay was the "San Diego Zoo!!"  honcho'ed by Lorenzo Lizarag!!....  me, Ken Pelkey, Dennis Schufflin, Dave Mizel, Mike Parnell, and I have to get out my logs to see who else!!  That was march of '75 and Jim Spencer was still in Jail!!  ...  Our first Otay 10-MAN team was the "OTAY BUNCH"  we went to the "Chute Out at the Gulch"  at Casa Grande in March of '73......."That's the T'Shirt!!!!!" down there!!!!!!       

Blue skyz,

skybill......  D-6009

DSCI1444.JPG