1 1
gowlerk

How long till Kabul falls?

(edited)
1 hour ago, kallend said:

Excerpted from an article by David von Drehle:

Link to the article Kallend is quoting:

Opinion: Sherlock Holmes and Winston Churchill anchor a long shelf of cautionary tales on Afghanistan

Now the article references a book to be released on Aug 31 2021:

The Afghanistan Papers: A Secret History of the War by Craig Whitlock

The book is an expansion of a series of articles the same author published on Dec 9 2019:

AT WAR WITH THE TRUTH U.S. officials constantly said they were making progress. They were not, and they knew it, an exclusive Post investigation found.

NOTE: This article is part 1 of 6, and links to the remaining parts are in links at the bottom of the page.

In a nutshell, this is the Vietnam War / Pentagon Papers story all over again. 

Edited by ryoder

9 hours ago, wmw999 said:

Do you have anything to say about the video? Because posting stuff without comment is strongly discouraged. 
Wendy P. 

Yeah, the guy is on point. I can't currently describe my feelings about the current administration, but people falling off airplanes seems to be a bit of a failure at some level. 

Does that make you happy Mod?

(edited)
5 minutes ago, millertime24 said:

I can't currently describe my feelings about the current administration,

How would you compare your feeling to those you had for the previous administration? Because the policy on Afghanistan is largely the same. It could have been crafted by Steve Bannon five years ago. The only real difference is that Biden has the balls to actually do it and take the heat.

Edited by gowlerk
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, millertime24 said:

Yeah, the guy is on point. I can't currently describe my feelings about the current administration . . .

How do you feel about the administration who released 5000 of the worst Taliban terrorists so they could go back to killing, and agreed to the US pullout without talking to the Afghani government first?  Do you have to check to see if it was Trump or Biden before you like it or hate it?

8 minutes ago, gowlerk said:

How would you compare your feeling to those you had for the previous administration? Because the policy on Afghanistan is largely the same. It could have been crafted by Steve Bannon five years ago. The only real difference is that Biden has the balls to actually do it and take the heat.

They aren't in charge anymore. Please focus on the present.

(edited)

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-58295384

Tony Blair having the fucking BALLS to talk shit about the attempt (successful or not) to clean up a monstrous mess that he made is one of the most brazen things I’ve seen from a former politician in a while.

Hey. Pal. How about you apologize for embedding us in a war that NEVER had an exit strategy and was waged on dubious fucking grounds in the first place and shut the fuck up about everything else?

What an utter cock womble.

Edited by yoink

58 minutes ago, yoink said:

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-58295384

Tony Blair having the fucking BALLS to talk shit about the attempt (successful or not) to clean up a monstrous mess that he made is one of the most brazen things I’ve seen from a former politician in a while.

Hey. Pal. How about you apologize for embedding us in a war that NEVER had an exit strategy and was waged on dubious fucking grounds in the first place and shut the fuck up about everything else?

What an utter cock womble.

Hi Will,

He is just another 'forgotten person' trying to remain relevant.

Jerry Baumchen

4 hours ago, millertime24 said:

Yeah, the guy is on point. I can't currently describe my feelings about the current administration, but people falling off airplanes seems to be a bit of a failure at some level. 

How would you describe your feelings for any administration over the past 20 years? What is happening now is exactly what Bush, Cheney and Rumsfeld promised us would happen. They were adamant from day one that the US would not be sucked into a nation building project in Afghanistan, and look - we haven’t built a nation in Afghanistan! Someone break out the GWB ‘Mission Accomplished’ photo because it’s finally true.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, millertime24 said:

Does that make you happy Mod?

Yes, it does. It also led to a discussion, which is what dz.com, and especially SC, is about. The cute video with no comment that probably nobody watches is about you. The comment is about the discussion. 
Wendy P. 

On 8/20/2021 at 8:36 PM, millertime24 said:

So I guess we aren't talking about any of this...

What's there to talk about?

History repeating itself?
This is Saigon 1975 again. No surprise there.

The US got sucked into a stupid conflict it could never win. Again.
Between the outrage and  "rah rah" cheerleading, the public supported going in, nevermind there was never a long term plan to 'win'. 

After it dragged on for a while, everyone got tired. 

So Trump (make sure you understand that the whole shitshow falls on Trump, not Biden) made a deal to give Afghanistan back to the Taliban. Including having a whole lot of Taliban prisoners released, over the objection of the Afghan government.
In fact, the entire plan was negotiated with the Taliban without ANY consultation with the Afghans. 
And Trump refused to have a transition team work with the incoming Biden administration, so the new folks came in blind (not only about Afghanistan).

So in essence, we gave up. We quit. We walked away. Again.
Leaving the people who aided & supported us to whatever fate the incoming butchers choose for them. Again. 

There is a lot of talk about speeding up the process for Afghan refugees to come to the US.

Guess who's against it. 

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/congress/coming-u-s-political-fight-over-accepting-refugees-afghanistan-n1277011

5 hours ago, wolfriverjoe said:

(make sure you understand that the whole shitshow falls on Trump, not Biden) 

It just gets so old to keep hearing y'all say this. Biden has been in there for plenty long enough to change things. He already changed a lot of what Trump did just by executive orders. So NOW it all falls on Biden.

6 hours ago, wolfriverjoe said:

So Trump (make sure you understand that the whole shitshow falls on Trump, not Biden)

A left wing blogger I follow on youtube had an interesting take.  Of the four presidents who were in office, he places the most responsibility on Obama, since Obama is the smartest of the four and did little to address the situation.

58 minutes ago, bigbearfng said:

It just gets so old to keep hearing y'all say this. Biden has been in there for plenty long enough to change things. He already changed a lot of what Trump did just by executive orders. So NOW it all falls on Biden.

Well, in fairness, us ya'll's have certain intellectual challenges unlike you ya'll's.

(edited)
4 hours ago, bigbearfng said:

So you think the USA should renege on its agreements and obligations?

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-51689443

The deal was signed by US special envoy Zalmay Khalilzad and Taliban political chief Mullah Abdul Ghani Baradar with US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo as a witness.

Edited by kallend