Chemtrail

Rental gear and damage/loss responsibility

Remster

It was pre packed with no way of inspecting the lines.

No. She chose not to open the main to check it.

Umm, no. Lots and lots of places have the "rental gear must be packed by staff" policy with the packjob being included in the rental price, and also opening the packed main to inspect the lines is not a reasonable part of pre-flight inspection. It's not an externally accessible part that is inspectable without redoing the packjob. Should she also have popped the reserve to check its lines?

The DZ renting out packed gear is implicitly stating it's fit for the purpose, and is responsible for maintaining it in that state. No reasonable jumper will expect to need to check lines on packed rental gear. Same as no reasonable driver will expect to need to inspect brake lines on a rental car. This is rental, not purchase, we're talking about.
"Skydivers are highly emotional people. They get all excited about their magical black box full of mysterious life saving forces."

Sadly, the English common law concept of "verbal contracts" has faded from North American business practices.
Equally sad is that old fraternity of "common skydiving practices" has faded, so now the only enforceable contract is a written contract written on a rental agreement of written on the wall.

As for for renting out gear with tired lines .... that is so "old school!"

Modern rigging practices include replacing frayed lines when they start to look frayed, but before they break. Replacing lines before they break is good business practice because it keeps all your gear in the air all summer. Early maintenance prevents lengthy searches for lost canopies, free-bags, handles, etc.
Finally, well-maintained rental gear prevents legal arguments like this.

The DZO needs to decide whether he wants to pay riggers or lawyers. He can pay riggers to maintain gear before the start of the season or ...... But the bottom line is that he is going to pay.

For example, last month I suggested to a TI that he order 2 line-kits, drogue kill-lines and other spare parts for his tandem rigs .....
Just last week I advised a DZO to order 3 new line kits 'cus I don't expect his current lines to last until the end of the summer.
And the next time so visit DZ "B" I am gong to suggest that he reline a couple of his tandem rigs before frayed lines break.