1 1
marctwoods

Katana 120 w/ removable slider

Question

So has anyone ever jumped a Katana 120 with an aftermarket removable slider (not full RDS)?  Asking because I'm planning to downsize later this season from my 135 and honestly I can't stand how the slider pushes my head forward when stowed using the velcro stow on my reserve flap.  I've seen some folks mention this but not in any great detail.  Any input would be greatly appreciated.  

9 answers to this question

13 hours ago, base615 said:

You'll get people telling you "You don't need a removable slider on a canopy over 100 square feet" etc. but they're just talking about performance and I don't think that's the reason for removing your slider. Like you, I hate stowing my slider behind my neck so I think you should ignore them. You'll never go back once you start taking your slider off.

The way Curt put it was an RDS is for performance while a removable slider is for convenience

• Like 1

14 hours ago, marctwoods said:

So has anyone ever jumped a Katana 120 with an aftermarket removable slider (not full RDS)?  Asking because I'm planning to downsize later this season from my 135 and honestly I can't stand how the slider pushes my head forward when stowed using the velcro stow on my reserve flap.  I've seen some folks mention this but not in any great detail.  Any input would be greatly appreciated.  

I haven't done it myself, but someone recently asked about it on the US fun jumpers facebook page and Curt Bartholomew replied saying it was a reasonable thing to do.

On 6/30/2021 at 11:53 AM, marctwoods said:

Yeah man, as posted above, awesome openings on my Katana 120 with the VFX2 sized RDS I had on my Crossfire before (75cm wide by 64cm deep). I had it made by a local rigger and it's got the PD style connections which are pretty easy to reconnect. Takes maybe 2 minutes more to pack and so much easier to deal with after opening. IMO, the NZ Aerosports method is a bit more difficult to put back on but others prefer it so your mileage may vary. Depending on where you are, happy to share his details with you if you want him to make one to the same specs but, if you're not in Australia, you'll probably be better off finding someone closer to you.

You'll get people telling you "You don't need a removable slider on a canopy over 100 square feet" etc. but they're just talking about performance and I don't think that's the reason for removing your slider. Like you, I hate stowing my slider behind my neck so I think you should ignore them. You'll never go back once you start taking your slider off.

• Like 1

On 7/2/2021 at 12:10 AM, base615 said:

Yeah man, as posted above, awesome openings on my Katana 120 with the VFX2 sized RDS I had on my Crossfire before (75cm wide by 64cm deep). I had it made by a local rigger and it's got the PD style connections which are pretty easy to reconnect. Takes maybe 2 minutes more to pack and so much easier to deal with after opening. IMO, the NZ Aerosports method is a bit more difficult to put back on but others prefer it so your mileage may vary. Depending on where you are, happy to share his details with you if you want him to make one to the same specs but, if you're not in Australia, you'll probably be better off finding someone closer to you.

Thank you for your input!!!  After talking to a couple of other folks I went ahead and ordered an RDS with the same dimensions as the normal slider for the Kat 120 from ParaConcepts.  I removed the lanyard since I'm leaving the bag and pilot hooked up in the traditional method.  Looking forward to the ease of it rather than having to stow it behind my head.  Blue Skies!

On 7/2/2021 at 1:59 PM, nwt said:

The way Curt put it was an RDS is for performance while a removable slider is for convenience

That's basically what Curt told me when I asked the same question about my Crossfire.

Thanks for the input!  

18 hours ago, marctwoods said:

Thank you for your input!!!  After talking to a couple of other folks I went ahead and ordered an RDS with the same dimensions as the normal slider for the Kat 120 from ParaConcepts.  I removed the lanyard since I'm leaving the bag and pilot hooked up in the traditional method.  Looking forward to the ease of it rather than having to stow it behind my head.  Blue Skies!

Nice one. Remember the removable slider does open quicker than the stock one so, as long as you find the Katana openings with the stock slider comfortable, you should be good.

On 7/5/2021 at 7:32 AM, base615 said:

Nice one. Remember the removable slider does open quicker than the stock one so, as long as you find the Katana openings with the stock slider comfortable, you should be good.

Hmm I would really love for my Katanas to open faster, actually.

On 7/7/2021 at 3:02 AM, nwt said:

Hmm I would really love for my Katanas to open faster, actually.

Yeah, I think they all vary. I have great openings but I have mates who have slammers and regular chops.