riggerrob

4 Catholic churches burn in British Columbia

Over the past week, four Catholic churches have burned to the ground in eastern British Columbia. They were all Catholic and the last two burned on First nations reservations. The RCMP are investigating possible arson.

This news comes in the immediate aftermath of hundreds of graves - of First Nations children - being discovered at former residential schools. These schools were financed by the federal gov't, but contracted out to the: Catholic Church, Anglican Church, United Church of Canada and Presbyterians.

Why do I get upset when someone vandalizes a mosque or synagog, but not these churches?

Was it because I listened to too much protestant propaganda from my Anglican grandfather? I was tired of his anti-Catholic propaganda before I was a teenager.

Edited by riggerrob
add a sentence

They're also being vandalized for what they've done, rather than what they believe. Vandalism is wrong, but when you know that the reckoning will still hurt your people more than the institution that did the wrong, you can understand the feelings that caused it.

Wendy P.

(edited)
7 hours ago, riggerrob said:

Why do I get upset when someone vandalizes a mosque or synagog, but not these churches?

Because when mosques or synagogues are attacked it is usually because of hatred toward the people who attend them. These churches on or near native communities were attacked because of hatred toward the organization and what those buildings stand for, not the the parishioners. At least that's how it is for me.

Edited by gowlerk

On 6/26/2021 at 10:00 PM, riggerrob said:

vandalizing the churches is still wrong and doesn't solve anything. But, I certainly can understand the motivation. They are symbols of one of, if not the darkest moments in Canadian history. We committed cultural genocide and killed, tortured and abused thousands and thousands of indigenous children in the process. 

On 6/27/2021 at 6:00 AM, riggerrob said:

I don't think it's to do with mosque vs church but majority vs minority, oppressors vs oppressed.

For instance, if pro democracy activists burned down a mosque in Tehran I'd be cheering them on, if a nationalist group burned down a mosque in London or Bradford I'd be horrified.

• Like 1

Around 03:00 am Wednesday (2021, June 30) a Catholic Church caught fire north of Edmonton, Alberta. The wood and brick structure was fully engulfed with flames by the time firefighters arrived. The historic St. Jean Baptiste Church was built in 1907.

Police are investigating the possibility of arson.