WV177RG

Seeking close call video

A friend (AFF I/E and pilot) is creating a safety seminar for pilots on dz avoidance. Does anyone have a link to the video of a fighter (F-15 or F-18?) passing by the open door of a twin otter while someone was spotting the load? Probably appeared on YouTube within the past two or three years. Thanks very much!

No, but beautiful photography. Thank you.

The scenario I remember was definitely unintentional, unlike the preplanned proximity flight in your link.

I believe the military aircraft that whizzed by the open door of the otter had twin vertical stabilizers. Can't remember whether they were perpendicular to fuselage (F-15) or angled (F-18.)

Searched internet two more hours today...still no luck.

I vaguely remember seeing a photo of a Hornet in "high alpha" configuration, taken from the door of a DC-3. But, I think it was an intentional formation. Pretty sure about the F-18, not sure about the DC-3. Could have been Twin Otter or something else. IIRC, the photo was published in either Parachutist or Skydiving Mag. Maybe late 1990s. May not have even been a skydiving related event.

husslr187

Found this while looking

http://youtu.be/XBRtnE05ILs

Yes Dallas has had some close calls. Right after I started jumping 4 years ago, a light aircraft flew right through the jump run and jumpers in freefall. I think one of the jumpers got the light aircraft on video as he fell past the plane. I saw it from the ground. It was not cool.

The DZ is northeast of DFW airport and there is a traffic corridor just southeast of the DZ during jump operations. But as soon as we are not jumping, they route the traffic almost right over the DZ. If we have a long south heading jump run, we have to hurry and get out before we get too far south and into the corridor. It makes wingsuit flying interesting.
Instructor quote, “What's weird is that you're older than my dad!”

The late Mike Mangold liked to fly his Pirts Special (aerobatic biplane) in formation with Twin Otters over Perris Valley, California. Mike started skydiving at the US Air Force Academy and made a few thousand skydives before I met him. I met Mike when he came to pick up a seat PEP (containing a square) from Bulter Parachute Systems.
Mike learned to fly formations in USAF RF-4 Phantoms and practiced aerobatics during his days off from flying for a major airline.
Mike eventually got good enough to compete at Aerobatic World Championships.
The one time Mike took me flying in his Pitts Special, we turned and burned until I saw spots! Mike also introduced me to the basics of aerobatics and recovery from unusual attitudes.
Last year we were saddened by news of Mike's demise during the crash of an L-39 jet trainer.

We have this one, thanks. (American Airlines 4-engine pax jet.)
Yes, Bealio, USA.

The one I referenced earlier is probably F-15 or F-18. Video is shot from POV inside aircraft looking out...jet goes whizzing by open door.

(Had my own close call breaking off from a four-way years ago when a Cherokee 6 flew directly overhead Skydive Pepperell. Saw the a/c closing from ahead and slightly below me just as I reached for pilot chute handle. Forced myself to stop deployment until I passed his altitude. He passed 4 or 5 hundred feet overhead after I deployed. Folks on the ground said it looked like he cranked that boat on its side trying to get away after he saw me go by. We'd checked for traffic before climbing out; pilot had received no traffic alerts from Manchester--now Boston--Approach.)

I looked up at a guy from the ground, as he looked at a Eurofighter from directly above - while under canopy. We definitely did not know he was coming (and there were people in freefall above). Dunno if he knew about us either, pretty sure not.

Not the incident you're talking about for sure but... faaaark.
--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?