1 1
ryoder

Supreme Court says NCAA can't limit some benefits to student athletes

Supreme Court says NCAA can't limit some benefits to student athletes

In a concurring opinion, Justice Brett Kavanaugh said the “NCAA and its member colleges are suppressing the pay of student athletes who collectively generate billions of dollars in revenues for colleges every year. Those enormous sums of money flow to seemingly everyone except for student athletes.”

“The NCAA’s business model would be flatly illegal in almost any other industry in America," Kavanaugh wrote. "All of the restaurants in a region cannot come together to cut cooks’ wages on the theory that ‘customers prefer’ to eat food from low-paid cooks.”

Never thought I would find myself agreeing so strongly with Kavanaugh.

Agreed.

However, the article I read this morning just said the athletes could receive additional "education" benefits.  I would like to see a decision where they actually could be compensated for the use of their images in video games and merchandizing.  Perhaps they should be eligible for funds to go into some kind of trust, to be received after they have used up all eligibility for amateur status.  IDK. It just seems everyone else is making a ton of money off of these student athletes.  If you treat them like pros, then pay them like pros.

59d687a6c68d7b282e8b7b77?width=600&forma

That an average per school.

College football stars could be earning as much as $2.4 million per year, based on NCAA revenues: study

Time to call it what it is. Student slavery. Everyone makes money but those who put their health on the line in every game and some practices. Perhaps if they weren't playing football they could study. Get a second degree.

15 hours ago, kallend said:

In most Division 1 schools the highest paid employee is the athletics director.  Far more than any professor, dean, or even the president.

It's a gross distortion of priorities.

Not a distortion really, it is a perfect reflection of a society where entertainment trumps education or substance at every step.