1 1
BigMick

Magnetic Slider Keeper and AAD

Actually, the AAD is located at the bottom of the reserve pack tray. The thing at the top is just the control. 

I've never heard of an issue with the magnetic slider keepers, riser covers or D-bags.

I would expect that slider keepers and riser covers would have less chance of an effect than the D-bag, because the D-bag is a lot closer to the actual AAD unit.

• Like 3

The thing that could happen is that you stow the slider using the keeper and afterwards decide to cutaway. In theory it could cause a slight delay or completely fail to release, though I've tested mine on the ground and it takes very little force for it to release. Not 100% related to your question, but I would worry more about this than about magnetic interference (though I'm using a magnetic keeper myself and don't think it would cause issues).

• Like 2

Even though in theory there is a miniscule chance that it could cause an opening delay or a horseshoe, I believe that in real life a properly made magnetic slider keeper (like the ones you can get at any major skydiving gear store) will not cause any issues, as the slider is loading the magnet in shear direction, and that is the way magnets release the easiest. Force of an inflated main being cut away is fairly large. I did see some homemade designs which incorporated magnets but had inadequate fabric length and construction which could possibly tie into a knot behind your head and cause the magnet not to release. Fortunately, the fabric quality on those was sufficiently poor that they would probably rip before causing a horseshoe. 

As for your original question, I believe that most modern AAD designs are fairly well protected against ESD or magnetic interference (at least in the order of magnitude that a small slider keeper magnet can produce). 

• Like 1