wendivee

Jumping at SD Elsinore

Hi hi! I'm a freshly stamped A-license as of 7/16 and I'm in Long Beach for work. Turns out I don't need to be at the office until noonish on Wednesday so I thought I'd go out to Elsinore and get in a jump or two - anyone have any tips on this particular DZ and also jumping at a new place in general? I haven't been anywhere except SD AZ before so any help would be super appreciated.

Thanks! :)

Congrats on the license and welcome. SD Elsinore has been my home dz for 13 years. It has an easy going fun atmosphere. Its not super busy during the week unless there is a group in town, so might be little slow paced on a wednesday. Their Twin Otter is having much needed maintenance done so they are running two caravans right now. The landing area has plenty of space. There are some objects to the east of the landing area but they are easy to see and avoid. There are packers on site and a gear store. Have fun, and maybe come back and see us again on a weekend when it is little busier and there are LO's and plenty of friends to jump with.

Tickle BSBD

Also a good idea for jumping at ANY new dz is to listen up when getting the briefing and do a hop n pop, or open a little higher than normal if you go to the top, in order to orientate yourself.At Elsinore land marks are easy. The big lake is hard to miss, and the twin runways help.

Have fun

Tickle BSBD

Great info and advice, thank you! I should be back in the area about once a month, so I'm sure I can stretch some of those visits through the weekend and come have some fun with you guys!! :)
There are packers there on weekdays too, I hope?

Def a good call on the hop&pop. I think I'll do that first, then if I have time I'll go all the way up after. Thx again!

jumpsalot-2

Keep in mind that both these DZ are way above Mean Sea Level.

Not exactly true. Lake Elsinore CA is at an elevation of 1296 ft. Perris Valley is at 1414 ft. Neither are considered to be high altitude DZs.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

perris is maybe 5 mins longer drive.. elsi-snore is extremely slow paced, i would go to perris if you need to jump early and leave. i live in the long beach area too. also oceanside is dz that is open weds to sun. feel free to pm with questions
dont let life pass you by

gowlerk

***Keep in mind that both these DZ are way above Mean Sea Level.

Not exactly true. Lake Elsinore CA is at an elevation of 1296 ft. Perris Valley is at 1414 ft. Neither are considered to be high altitude DZs.

Which are both a little lower than SDAZ where the poster is from. :)
Have fun in SoCal!
Remster

Remster

******Keep in mind that both these DZ are way above Mean Sea Level.

Which are both a little lower than SDAZ where the poster is from. :)
Have fun in SoCal!

That is why I deleted my post the first 5 minutes in. I was thinking ..... Hey, Eloy is HIGHER than Perris, she will be fine .... duh .... :S
Life is short ... jump often.

Haha! Ok, so now that we have that cleared up, I have to ask a really dumb question... why does the elevation matter? I mean, my alt is set based on ground level, so is it just in how high AGL the plane will go, or...? What am I forgetting/missing here?

Thanks!

Simplified version: in general, the higher the ground elevation of your DZ, the hotter the temperature, the faster you land.

The higher you go--ground elevation or airborne--the farther apart the molecules of air will be. (Folks refer to that as the air getting "thinner" with increasing elevation. Starting at sea level, imagine driving up a 10,000 ft. mountain or climbing from the ground to 10,000 ft. in an airplane. The air will be MUCH thinner up high than where you started.)

The farther apart those molecules of air, the faster you have to go across the ground to fly the distance between them in a given amount of time to bump those molecules and create the same air pressure/performance for a given "airspeed," like your canopy's full flight trim speed to land. So your canopy's high altitude speed over the ground, your "groundspeed," is much faster than its low altitude groundspeed for the same given airspeed.*

Usually, the higher the ground elevation at your DZ, the faster your landing approach groundspeed will be. You'll land much faster at a 5000' elevation DZ in Colorado than a sea level DZ in Massachusetts, assuming comparable conditions. "Flatlanders" sometimes crash and burn their landings at higher altitude DZs because they fail to compensate for the typically higher landing speeds. (Switching to a larger canopy is one way to compensate.)

High temperature further "thins" the air by spreading out those molecules. Your landing speed will be MUCH higher at a summertime hot, high-desert DZ than a cooler fall/winter, low altitude one. The previous posters were evaluating the difference between your home DZ and the ones you were considering visiting to determine if extra caution might be advised due to significant differences between elevations and general weather.

Skydivers set altimeters to "0" before takeoff (assuming we're landing at or near our departure airport) to give us quick reference to the distance between us and Mother Earth at the DZ. AGL is correct: the altimeter now measures altitude Above Ground Level at our departure field. Ask your jump pilot to show you his aircraft altimeter, adjusted for current barometric pressure, when the plane's not flying. Instead of zero, it should read the actual elevation of your airport "MSL" (Mean Sea Level.) According to gowlerk's airport information, the jump plane altimeter at Lake Elsinore should read approximately 1296 ft.; Perris Valley 1414 ft. (Eloy 1511' according to the FAA AF/D) when sitting on the ground and current barometric pressure setting dialed in.

Hope this helps. (Easier to explain in person.) Have fun!

*Ignoring headwind, tailwind, temperature, pressure, humidity.

wendivee

Haha! Ok, so now that we have that cleared up, I have to ask a really dumb question... why does the elevation matter? I mean, my alt is set based on ground level, so is it just in how high AGL the plane will go, or...? What am I forgetting/missing here?

Thanks!

Density Altitude is the official term.
Life is short ... jump often.

Glad you asked the questions before hand, and there is no dumb question, and yes as you found out there are packers there. If you do go again on a week day and dont find a packer on the mat you can always go to the school and as the tandem packers. Glad you had fun, and hope to see you maybe on one of these week enders.

Tickle