kallend

Did anyone read the article on p. 16 of Parachutist?

Attached is a photo of our hero hard at work. He was standing roughly 100 yards away from the canopy at this point. I also had stood near that same point a week earlier, without any high tech spy gear to help me out (I'm talking about the hat obviously... and the drone).
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

At Skydive Spaceland Clewiston.... We use a bit bigger drones.

This guy had a chop at about 8K and if you look under the prop, you can see we found it. It was about 5 miles from the DZ.

I have about an 80% success rate finding canopies. The ones I have lost normally fall into the tall sugarcane and you can't find them unless you walk on top of them.

I once found a freebag, landed, picked it up, and flew it back to the airport.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

It is cool to use drone but not always possible and not cheep to have it and learn to fly it.

This is why I made my litle canopy locator. Passed few to my friends and already there are bunch of chopped canopies found even in field with 7 ft tall sunflowers. So far 100% recovery rate in 15 mins or less and this is with no rush :)

But I admit that searching with drone is way cooler

It is not only one jumper who chopped and recovered the main. The one with most so far /two/ cutaways is testenig prototype canopy so cutaways in prototype stage are more likely to happen. He most likely can pack with his experience of over 12 000 jumps ;)

If he disn't learn by now how to pack It is hopeless B|

There is link to the thread with his post about it: http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=4805843;page%3Dunread&utm_source=Viber&utm_medium=Chat&utm_campaign=Private#unread

Our DZ has patches of dense forest including tall pine nearby. We've recovered a number of canopies with my Citabria and C-177RG. When I can't find them flying solo, I take a spotter on the second attempt. Directly overhead the equipment, we create a lat/long waypoint using my Ipad's Foreflight Mobile GPS tracking function or yoke mounted Garmin GPS unit. We radio the coordinates back to manifest; they relay that info to a jumper with a handheld GPS. Canopy is usually recovered within an hour. (Helps to have DZ family members with professional tree service experience.)

skytribe

Acho's solution avoids hours of searching.

It will locate your canopy in a few minutes. All you then need to do is walk to the location.

Hidden In the corn/trees - it will get you to within a few feet of your canopy.

Where can we find more info about this? Is it available commercially? :)
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

The111

***Acho's solution avoids hours of searching.

It will locate your canopy in a few minutes. All you then need to do is walk to the location.

Hidden In the corn/trees - it will get you to within a few feet of your canopy.

Where can we find more info about this? Is it available commercially? :)
It is ready to be available commercially. If there is interest I can go this route /all the developing and testing is done/. Until then I am making units for friends and on request.

There is link with some photos of the prototype http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=4759769;#4759769. The unit looks and weight the same, the dimentions are the same just the internals evolved ;)

The development of the unit is at this stage:

1. Hardware final version - tested - DONE
2. Firmware final version - tested - DONE
3. Attachment to the rig - tested - DONE
4. Real word test including drop test from altitude - DONE
5. PC software for setting up the unit - in beta testing - ETA August 15, 2016

After the software for PC is out of beta testing the project is complete.

If you need additional info about it you can post here or PM me.

jbakerjr

Great job of using your drone to assist in finding the lost canopy. Technology, logic and a determined canopy owner prevailed.

::cough:: and having a hot meteorologist wife ::cough:: :D
Apologies for the spelling (and grammar).... I got a B.S, not a B.A. :)

LyraM45

***Great job of using your drone to assist in finding the lost canopy. Technology, logic and a determined canopy owner prevailed.

::cough:: and having a hot meteorologist wife ::cough:: :D

You should get that cough checked out. :)
www.WingsuitPhotos.com