husslr187

Restarted AFF today

I redid my cat a and cat b today. Last year I stopped for various reasons but today I excelled. both jumps I had a slight problem at the door resulting in a not so smooth exit but not terrible. I'm 6'4" and I'm jumping out of a super otter which hold 18 jumpers. Problem I had is the way I had to stand Hunched down so low I have almost no push off power. It ended with me kinda falling out while with the reserve instructor pulling me. As soon as I was out though I immediately arched waited a second or two to even out a little and continued with my diveflow.

During the diveflow on both I was still slightly anxious, can think, read signal, do what I was suppose to do, ect. But on the first jump I had a slight pilot chute hesitation. when I turned to check during my count, my canopy open at the same time which gave me about 4 line twist. Got out of them easy enough and the opening from the second jump was uneventful.

Anyone have any ideas on what I can do to help me get out the door better? After I'm out I'm good, but it would be nice to exit clean.

Ok they let him take a grip of the door, if I could do that it would be much easier. I asked before my jumps since I already knew it would be an issue and I was told no.

My flexibility is ok it's just the position I'm in that makes it difficult to move. Since I did two jumps with this dz I'll ask about taking a grip again. I think they're worried about students hanging on too long.

husslr187

Ok they let him take a grip of the door, if I could do that it would be much easier. I asked before my jumps since I already knew it would be an issue and I was told no.

No hands on any part of the plane? That's very unusual, IMO. The hands on the door frame provide a huge measure of stability for the student's crouched exit position.

JohnMitchell

No hands on any part of the plane? That's very unusual, IMO. The hands on the door frame provide a huge measure of stability for the student's crouched exit position.

Thats my issue. I get set in position but then I can't really move. Once the reserve instructor lets go of the plane I kinda get pulled out with the main side pushing me. I feel if I could get a hand on the door I'll be about to use that to regain some control.

husslr187

Ok I know fuck all about this sport when compared to most people here, this is my 3rd season right now, but I've seen hundreds of AFF/PFF students jump and everywhere I've seen them they were able to grab the door. It's really strange that you're not allowed, I'm trying to compare it to my personal experience and it actually feels pretty damn uncomfortable if I were a student.

I was told the same thing at the other dropzone I started at the first time. I'm sure it's much easier for a shorter person though and of course once I'm out the door I have plenty of room. I only have a few more jumps where they're holding on so if they won't let me grip next time, I'll just deal with it.

I can understand no hands gripping the floater bars above the doorway (where "too good a grip" is possible), but it seems pretty normal to have a hold on the front edge of the door.

I don't know what your leg position is, but if you can have them spread more, left one under you, and right one further inside the airplane, then you can push off better with the inside leg, pushing yourself outward. That leg will be less folded up than one that's right under you, with whatever position you have to adopt at your DZ to balance in the doorway. (Of course any thoughts of changing things must be cleared with your instructors.)

Most students would be happy with a Twin Otter, providing them with one of the biggest doors in the industry, and very easy exits...

I got my A license recently and was taught the crouch with hands on the aircraft. I'm not tall by any standards, i'm 5'10 - but wouldn't want to try without holding on to the aircraft.

My instructors always laughed because i used to literally shout at the top of my voice all of the below out. At least they can't say they weren't aware of where i was in my exit!

right hand
left hand
right foot
left foot
knees out
arms out
back straight
check in
check out
breaaaathe
sky
up
down
ARCH!!

My AFF jumps last year were in the praying monks position at the door; in other words no hands on the door or on the bar. They changed that this year, and it was a huge difference for the better.

For the OP, like you I am 6'4" and I have a friend who just started as well who is 6'6", and the biggest issue we had was doing the count as we didn't lower ourselves enough. After that just step out, and let gravity do the rest.

mmatga2me99

For the OP, like you I am 6'4" and I have a friend who just started as well who is 6'6", and the biggest issue we had was doing the count as we didn't lower ourselves enough

one of the other things I was concerned about is raking the back of the container on the top of the doorway and jumping into a horseshoe.

Ok so I got cleared for self supervision today and did my first solo. I did a few flips and barrel rolls on the way down to celebrate but now I need to get to work. My first poised exit was dirty, my float exit I over rotated, but my diving exit is great. My first poised exit I did like before without gripping the door frame. When I exited I didn't get my legs out as fast as I wanted an ended up doing a 180 then going head down. The instructor said it looked kinda looked like it was intentional. I did get stable fairly quickly though and finished the dive. The floating exit I push off when I could have just stepped off which caused me to over rotate and momentarily I ended up on my back which I corrected quickly then continued with the dive. Other than that I need to work on my tracking.

A good thing though is that I'm able to relax a lot better now. Even during the dirty exits, I was able to think through it, correct the problem, and find my instructor as he was chasing me though the sky. One other time I missed at pull time but just felt around for it and still pulled on time. I'm still rough around the edges but I should be able to get this down around 25 jumps.

I am a complete novice, so you are welcome to disregard this all you want, but I was at the Flight-1 class at SD Kansas, and as it was my first time jumping the Shark, I talked to Jen Sharp and she gave me a really great way to think about the exit. I struggle with my exits, sometimes they are picture perfect and sometimes I might as well just have cannonballed out of the plane.

She said to break it into 3 different components, so you can truly analyze and think about each step individually:
1. Set up in the door. You want to be positioned so that you are facing the right direction to be into the relative wind.
2. The Launch. She said to aim for the idea of having a snapshot picture being taken 2 feet outside the door of the plane, with your hips into the wind. (Some separate coaching I got was that I should step almost forward a little on my launch, because I push off too far to the side, which causes the wind to catch my outer hip and put me in a spin.)
3. Fly the hill with a good arch.

Based on that coaching, it helped me to understand that I may not be giving myself the best set-up, which then impacts my launch. And the separate coaching I got about my launch while we were just practicing the exit on the ground.

I thought it was really helpful, and while I'm not anywhere near being qualified to coach anyone on anything, I just wanted to share this, maybe it will help you as much as it did me.