EvilGenius

In Flight Maintenance?

A question for the old school propeller heads out there...to me this looks like some complete badass can't be bothered with things as mundane as landing before tweaking his engine setup but what the hell is he really doing?!

Edit to actually include the damn photo!

That looks like the "City of Chicago" a Stinson Detroiter fitted with a 300 HP Wright J6 radial engine, during it's endurance record flight in 1930. He is greasing the rocker arms on each of the 9 cylinders. In-flight refueling was accomplished by another aircraft lowering gas cans to them. They stayed airborne for more than 500 hours! Yeah, pretty bad ass

Rickendiver

That looks like the "City of Chicago" a Stinson Detroiter fitted with a 300 HP Wright J6 radial engine, during it's endurance record flight in 1930. He is greasing the rocker arms on each of the 9 cylinders. In-flight refueling was accomplished by another aircraft lowering gas cans to them. They stayed airborne for more than 500 hours! Yeah, pretty bad ass

Yeah, you can see the square opening in the top of the fuselage where they would have received the gas cans through.

Not nearly as bad ass, but the Boeing 314 Pan Am Clipper has a passage in the wing for the flight engineer to crawl though to service and oil the engines.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

As a crew chief on Chinooks, I worked with some people who were not exactly carrying their entire lunch to work with them every day.

One day, I'm "running the ramp" (responsibilities were for the aft section of the aircraft and the left-side, working from the rear of the aircraft), and this [email]flight engineer is "on the door" (responsible for the nose, right side of the aircraft, from the forward cabin door).

I was doing a "ramp check" (checking the aft transmission area, on the ramp of the aircraft, which we did every 30 minutes) and I hear the FE say something over the intercom and it sounds all choppy and weird. I look up toward the front of the cabin and he's not there! WTF?

I run up to the cabin door and spot his intercom cord and the tail for his restraint harness (think "tandem harness with a 10 foot strap to keep you in the aircraft) snaking out the top half of the door.

I stick my head outside and there he is, like spider man, crouched on the top of the fuel tank, holding on to the "kick steps" on the outside of the aircraft, grinning like an idiot.

Some people. I swear.
NIN
D-19617, AFF-I '19

Aircrew who find flying a Chinook "boring" are not paying attention to the finer points. Helicopters always need something cleaned or greased or tightened or corrosion removed.

The last few times I flew in a Chinook, I fell out. Fortunately I was wearing a Strato-Cloud.