2 2
billvon

Climate change problems are here

Recommended Posts

7 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

Kallend, your incessant name calling is becoming tiresome. If you have something of substance to share, please do.  Otherwise……

Substance eh? Your problem Brent is that you endlessly throw out quotes and references to the positions that you hold. Yet there is never any substance to what you reference. You either move the goalposts, ignore the more pointed counter-positions to your arguments. Or most commonly pretend as if you're right all along.

Why you bother with your global warming position can only be put down as trolling. There are many, many issues to criticize President Biden and democrats on. Regurgitating FOX talking points is never successful because they have no fundamental analysis behind them. Perhaps if you broadened your conservative information sources your analysis would get deeper.

Until then get used to the label. Because John is right. You lack any substance in any of your positions of debate.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Phil1111 said:

 

Until then get used to the label. Because John is right. You lack any substance in any of your positions of debate.

In nearly 20 years participating here I have put only two people on my ignore list.  Brent is one of them.

Unfortunately I get to see his trolling posts when others respond to them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
(edited)
1 hour ago, Phil1111 said:

Substance eh? Your problem Brent is that you endlessly throw out quotes and references to the positions that you hold. Yet there is never any substance to what you reference. You either move the goalposts, ignore the more pointed counter-positions to your arguments. Or most commonly pretend as if you're right all along.

Why you bother with your global warming position can only be put down as trolling. There are many, many issues to criticize President Biden and democrats on. Regurgitating FOX talking points is never successful because they have no fundamental analysis behind them. Perhaps if you broadened your conservative information sources your analysis would get deeper.

Until then get used to the label. Because John is right. You lack any substance in any of your positions of debate.

On my Biden criticism, I quoted Larry Summer, not Fox News.  
As far as substance?  What can be more substantive than actual facts?  Inflation rates, GDP, current global temperatures, the amount of energy from fossil fuels vs renewables, the lack of adaptation of EVs, no trend in hurricanes, on and on.  
I say we are not going to lower global CO2 emissions, I say we will not all be driving EVs, I say we will continue to rely on fossil fuels for the majority of our energy needs and with each passing year I am shown to be correct. Check out my “Build Back Blacker” post to see an example.

”I am cold and I am hard…and my name….is Reality ”

(apologies to South Park)

Edited by brenthutch

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
(edited)
2 hours ago, brenthutch said:

What can be more substantive than actual facts?

You don't post actual facts. Literally the last thing you posted before the topic turned to you was a paper about computational models that you didn't understand...

Edited by olofscience

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
(edited)
On 6/15/2021 at 3:57 PM, airdvr said:

True...but I don't wash my car 100+ times per day.

Commercial car washes don't wash the same car 100+ times per day. 

Edited by jakee

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Back in temperate Chicago after a week roasting in the desert southwest.  High temperature records were set in places as far north as Billings, MT.    Phoenix is expected set a record for the next 3 days and then to cool down to a mere 114F (46C) by Saturday. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, jakee said:

Commercial car washes don't wash the same car 100+ times per day. 

The point is if you're going to want any sympathy from the rest of the world you might want to....ahhh nevermind.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, airdvr said:

The point is if you're going to want any sympathy from the rest of the world you might want to....ahhh nevermind.

Why would you want sympathy from the rest of the world?  I want solutions, not sympathy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/14/2021 at 8:52 AM, airdvr said:

I have to say...I'm in Pismo Beach for the week.  Lots of car washes...farms running irrigation on 101.  I would think a drought would require not running car washes and such.

Sure California should shut everything down.

2 hours ago, airdvr said:

The point is if you're going to want any sympathy from the rest of the world you might want to....ahhh nevermind.

Absent that they should not expect sympathy.

7 minutes ago, billvon said:

Why would you want sympathy from the rest of the world?  I want solutions, not sympathy.

Florida could start abandoning low lying areas in flood prone areas. As the US federal government continues to subsidize Florida hurricane damages. Coastal damage and increasing salinity in Florida freshwater supplies.

It pretends global warming is a democratic issue.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, billvon said:

Why would you want sympathy from the rest of the world?  I want solutions, not sympathy.

So what's the plan? Absent of altering the warming what steps are being taken to ensure you have enough water?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, airdvr said:

So what's the plan? Absent of altering the warming what steps are being taken to ensure you have enough water?

They just have to wait a year or two.  The rains and snow of 2019 ended the previous drought and filled their reservoirs and lakes.  Drought is and has always been a feature of the climate in the Southwest.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, airdvr said:

So what's the plan? Absent of altering the warming what steps are being taken to ensure you have enough water?

1) Slow down climate change.  That's the cause of all of this.
2) Desalination with hydrostatic power storage.
3) Reflooding the Salton Sea with seawater (will increase rainfall in the area)
4) Cover all canals with PV covers.  Reduces evaporation.  Use the power to run the desalinators.

For starters.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You have to work with human nature as it is. If you make it easier for people to use less water (low-volume toilets, low-flow shower heads, car washes instead of running it down the storm drain), that helps with the consumers.

One of the biggest consumers of water is agriculture; California grows a whole lot of stuff, and lots of it needs water. Reducing consumption of water-intensive crops from California will also help. No, it won't help the farmers in the short run (reduced demand means lower prices and they have to change), but in the long run if people's habits can change somewhat, then in general people will be easier on the land. Or at least not make it worse as quickly.

Wendy P.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, billvon said:

1) Slow down climate change.  That's the cause of all of this.
2) Desalination with hydrostatic power storage.
3) Reflooding the Salton Sea with seawater (will increase rainfall in the area)
4) Cover all canals with PV covers.  Reduces evaporation.  Use the power to run the desalinators.

For starters.

 

Are these things in play now or are they just things you want to have happen?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, wmw999 said:

You have to work with human nature as it is. If you make it easier for people to use less water (low-volume toilets, low-flow shower heads, car washes instead of running it down the storm drain), that helps with the consumers.

Agreed.  To expand on what I said earlier, there are really three angles to consider.  One is how to get more potable water.  One is how to replace the potable water with substitutes.  The last one is how to use less potable water.

Getting more water:
1) Slow down climate change.  That's the cause of all of this.  (This won't get us more water but it will slow down the progression of the loss.)
2) Desalination with hydrostatic power storage.
3) Reflooding the Salton Sea with seawater (will increase rainfall in the area)
4) Cover all canals with PV covers.  Reduces evaporation.  Use the power to run the desalinators.

Replacements:
1) Recycled water for irrigation, cooling and flush toilets.  Filters sewage water.
2) Seawater delivery for cooling, pools and toilets.  Also allows low intensity (i.e. solar) desalination locally.
3) Greywater for irrigation (homes and businesses.)

Conservation:
1) Mandated recycling/water recovery for things like waterparks, car washes and 
2) Mandates for low water use washers, dishwashers, toilets and showers
3) Crop change (from water intensive to water conserving)
4) Restrictions on large areas of grass (golf courses etc)
 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, airdvr said:

Are these things in play now or are they just things you want to have happen?

They are both.

1) has been in play for decades.  EV mandates are part of that, for example.

2) We just opened a desalinator in Carlsbad and it now supplies 7% of San Diego's water.  We need to expand that and add storage (basically a water tower.)

3) There are about a dozen proposals on how to do this, but nothing funded yet.

4) Not yet.  There have been a few pilot projects.

 

https://calexicochronicle.com/2021/02/08/salton-sea-could-ocean-water-import-be-fix/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Claude_"Bud"_Lewis_Carlsbad_Desalination_Plant

https://theconversation.com/installing-solar-panels-over-californias-canals-could-yield-water-land-air-and-climate-payoffs-158754

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, billvon said:

 

3) Reflooding the Salton Sea with seawater (will increase rainfall in the area)
 

 

Is there actually some way of doing this? I thought the salton sea was originally filled by the Colorado river.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, murps2000 said:

Is there actually some way of doing this? I thought the salton sea was originally filled by the Colorado river.

The Salton Sea basin is well below sea level, so all it would take is either a pipeline or a canal (with locks.)  The pipeline is cheaper; the canal also gives you tourism and shipping and whatnot.  

The canal is doable since there's not a lot of elevation along the way to the Sea of California - but it would be an effort on the scale of the Panama Canal.  The Laguna Salada makes up a lot of the distance and that's also below sea level, so you could easily either fill that with seawater or fill part of it.  You'd need one canal 23 miles long to go from the Colorado River Delta to the Laguna Salada and one canal 30 miles long to go from the Salada to the Salton Sea.  The tallest point you'd have to dig through would be 300 feet high (in Mexico) which is comparable to the highest points that the Panama Canal had to cut through.

You could of course refill it with the Colorado River.  But as noted we don't have much water to spare these days.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good writeup from ABC:

====================

The "megadrought" that's plaguing much of the western U.S. is a direct consequence of warming global temperatures, according to experts. . . 

"Essentially, half of the severity of the ongoing megadrought has been attributed to warming temperatures alone -- and without that warming, the drought would arguably not be a megadrought at all," UCLA climate scientist Daniel Swain told ABC News.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/megadrought-west-directly-linked-climate-change-experts/story?id=78202024

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/video/saving-the-dead-sea/

So THIS is a great topic of debate. On one hand, the desalination process works. But what's happening at the Dead Sea currently and what/where they want to pump that leftover stuff is going to end up REAL bad, for many... We will reach a global tipping point, the no return. Will we see it? It could happen pretty quick in the grander scheme. 

Doom and Gloom baby!   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

2 2