2 2
billvon

Climate change problems are here

2 hours ago, millertime24 said:

What I find comical is how little "tree huggers" understand about what is and isn't good for a vehicle. A vehicle eating its own shit isn't exactly good for it. 

?? Rabbits eat their own shit.  It's how their digestive system works.  Lots of industrial processes recycle their own waste products; think of any metal shop you've ever seen, for example.  Heck, breeder reactors RUN "on their own shit" and Stirling engines recycle 100% of their working fluid.

Once the 68mm turbo compressor spins up the exhaust resemble the exhaust of a jet engine. Oh yeah, and it makes absurd amounts of power. But what do I know about making machines run optimally?

Sounds like very little based on your comments above.

3 hours ago, millertime24 said:

What I find comical is how little "tree huggers" understand about what is and isn't good for a vehicle. A vehicle eating its own shit isn't exactly good for it. Oh, and it doesn't always blow black smoke. Once the 68mm turbo compressor spins up the exhaust resemble the exhaust of a jet engine. Oh yeah, and it makes absurd amounts of power. But what do I know about making machines run optimally?

Yep, you have no idea about making machines run optimally.

9 hours ago, millertime24 said:

What I find comical is how little "tree huggers" understand about what is and isn't good for a vehicle. A vehicle eating its own shit isn't exactly good for it. Oh, and it doesn't always blow black smoke.

Deleting the emission control systems is illegal, but is a way of making more power. At the cost of making your fellow citizens breath the soot your are now creating. Something to be proud of. You cheated the system and screwed over everyone else. Did you install larger injectors to "roll coal" as well?

1 hour ago, gowlerk said:

Deleting the emission control systems is illegal, but is a way of making more power. At the cost of making your fellow citizens breath the soot your are now creating. Something to be proud of. You cheated the system and screwed over everyone else. Did you install larger injectors to "roll coal" as well?

Nope. I installed higher flowing injectors (btw the injectors themselves are no larger, the orifice is) as well as a bigger turbocharger (you know that whole pesky stoichiometric ratio thing) to increase the power. Yes I did delete all emissions systems as they severely degrade the engine life and performance. It doesn't "roll coal" unless I get on it. I dont do it in neighborhoods or around cops (well security forces doesn't seem to mind). Ive also built the engine to deal with all the higher pressures, and programed the computer to give me the best performance at WOT.

As for my "fellow citizens",  most of them have told me my truck is awesome, but I'm in an area of CA that is pretty republican. As I said,  I dont get on it in neighborhoods. Either way, none of this will really matter in 75 days (I'm retiring).

(edited)
5 hours ago, millertime24 said:

(you know that whole pesky stoichiometric ratio thing)

If it's blowing black smoke, it's definitely not stoichiometric.

5 hours ago, millertime24 said:

and programed the computer to give me the best performance at WOT.

Did you win any races then? Because you're definitely not winning any intelligence contests as far as I can see...

7 hours ago, gowlerk said:

At the cost of making your fellow citizens breath the soot your are now creating.

He's also breathing it since he shares this planet with the rest of us. As I said, not winning any intelligence contests...

Edited by olofscience

12 hours ago, millertime24 said:

Nope. I installed higher flowing injectors (btw the injectors themselves are no larger, the orifice is) as well as a bigger turbocharger (you know that whole pesky stoichiometric ratio thing)

OMG.

Diesels are NOT STOCHIOMETRIC.  That's why they are diesels.  In fact that's pretty much the definition.   They are not like gas engines, which maintain stochiometric combustion.

You're like the whuffo bragging about how much you know about skydiving by dropping words you overheard.  "Yeah, I'm going to start skydiving and get the biggest 3-ring you ever saw so I can land at 100mph!"

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, billvon said:

OMG.

Diesels are NOT STOCHIOMETRIC.  That's why they are diesels.  In fact that's pretty much the definition.   They are not like gas engines, which maintain stochiometric combustion.

You're like the whuffo bragging about how much you know about skydiving by dropping words you overheard.  "Yeah, I'm going to start skydiving and get the biggest 3-ring you ever saw so I can land at 100mph!"

I'd grant him that the larger turbocharger might provide air supply greater than the stoichiometric minimum.  Go below that and you're 'rolling coal.'

Despite some of the ill considered environmental regulations in place, I came into agreement with regs regarding two-stroke engines by strolling around Bangkok.  When the light turned green at a major intersection, hundreds of 125 cc Yamahas took off at full throttle, leaving a blue cloud behind them that you could cut with a knife.  Though many locals wore masks, it wasn't enough, and it left my eyes burning for quite a while.

The closest to ideal the I've seen is municipalities where people might have a Benz in the garage, but ride bicycles in town and take the (electric) train into the city.  If you drive into Munich you have to lose the car before you get to the walking areas anyway, and using a car go get around Manhattan is just silly.

I have a pickup truck, but use it only when I need the capacity.  My practice of leaving a small ecological footprint is more from being a Boy Scout than from mindlessly obeying regulations.

BSBD,

Winsor

37 minutes ago, winsor said:

I'd grant him that the larger turbocharger might provide air supply greater than the stoichiometric minimum.  Go below that and you're 'rolling coal.'

Yep.  And indeed you don't get the cool 'rolling coal' effect until you get to the rich side of stochiometric.  

Though many locals wore masks, it wasn't enough, and it left my eyes burning for quite a while.

Sherry Schrimsher and I spent about an hour in a tuk-tuk in Bangkok and experienced something similar.  I had experienced something like that once before, when I went to LA for the first time in 1980.  Since then, all those people obeying "mindless" regulations have cleaned up the area from 50 to 95% depending on pollutant.  A good outcome.

10 hours ago, billvon said:

Yep.  And indeed you don't get the cool 'rolling coal' effect until you get to the rich side of stochiometric.  

Sherry Schrimsher and I spent about an hour in a tuk-tuk in Bangkok and experienced something similar.  I had experienced something like that once before, when I went to LA for the first time in 1980.  Since then, all those people obeying "mindless" regulations have cleaned up the area from 50 to 95% depending on pollutant.  A good outcome.

And indeed you get the black smoke due to too much fuel being introduced into the combustion chamber when applying the throttle liberaly. Once the turbo has spooled up to generate enough extra air to achieve a stoichiometric ratio in the combustion chamber massive amounts of power can be achieved.

And for your "rabbits eat shit" comment, it is detrimental to an engine for the exhaust gasses to be introduced back into the vehicles intake (particularly on a diesel).

1 hour ago, millertime24 said:

And for your "rabbits eat shit" comment, it is detrimental to an engine for the exhaust gasses to be introduced back into the vehicles intake (particularly on a diesel).

Again, no.  EGR is a long-standing technology that has been used on internal combustion engines for decades.  In both diesels and gasoline cars it reduces combustion chamber temperatures, which increases engine life.  In gas powered cars, it improves efficiency by reducing pumping losses, leading to a higher MPG.   In turbocharged cars, it allows higher boost levels and higher powers (with the same mixture) by reducing detonation at high boost levels.

If you remove the EGR system for a diesel it will give you more power for a while, since the exhaust gas is effectively inert gas being reinjected into the intake, and that inert gas does not contribute to power.  With EGR you get lower NOx levels due to the lower combustion temperature, which is why it's used.

I have to laugh at your 'detrimental to a diesel engine' complaint.  You know what's really detrimental to diesel engines?  Running them rich and building up soot and carbon in the cylinder head and on the valves.  But that's OK as long as it pisses off a lib, eh?

(edited)
6 hours ago, billvon said:

I have to laugh at your 'detrimental to a diesel engine' complaint.

The fact that he just concluded "it must be detrimental" without any reasoning for it just shows how little he knows. You don't use animal analogies to make engineering decisions. Not good ones, anyway.

Running a richer mix and increasing the power output is actually more detrimental to the lifespan - the engine runs hotter, wear is higher (due to moving parts running outside nominal CTE) fatigue cycles are also hit much earlier.

Comparing his truck's exhaust to a jet's exhaust is laughable too. Does it have Mach diamonds? (one of the ways fighter jet engine lifespan is extended is lowering the power output, but he probably doesn't know that either)

Edited by olofscience

8 hours ago, billvon said:

Again, no.  EGR is a long-standing technology that has been used on internal combustion engines for decades.  In both diesels and gasoline cars it reduces combustion chamber temperatures, which increases engine life.  In gas powered cars, it improves efficiency by reducing pumping losses, leading to a higher MPG.   In turbocharged cars, it allows higher boost levels and higher powers (with the same mixture) by reducing detonation at high boost levels.

If you remove the EGR system for a diesel it will give you more power for a while, since the exhaust gas is effectively inert gas being reinjected into the intake, and that inert gas does not contribute to power.  With EGR you get lower NOx levels due to the lower combustion temperature, which is why it's used.

I have to laugh at your 'detrimental to a diesel engine' complaint.  You know what's really detrimental to diesel engines?  Running them rich and building up soot and carbon in the cylinder head and on the valves.  But that's OK as long as it pisses off a lib, eh?

So this is a normal "healthy" intake then?

egr-clogged (1).jpg

An interesting side note is how much longer the average car lasts these days. There have always been the cars that ran forever, but even in the 70’s a car with 120,000 miles was getting on up there. Now it’s just expected. 
I guess they’d never die without all that “pollution crap.”
Wendy P. 

Back to the topic - 

Needles, CA, a city in the California desert (and famous for where Snoopy's brother lived) is now down to one working well, due to overpumping and the warming climate.  The pump for it runs 90% of the time, indicating it is very close to its limit.  Once that hits 100%, people there will see periodic water shutdowns.  Note that this is WITH an aggressive water conservation program.

We will see this more and more often as water supplies run dry - and there's nothing to replenish them with,

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2021-07-20/needles-california-fights-drought-along-colorado-river

55 minutes ago, billvon said:

this more and more often as water supplies run dry - and there's nothing to replenish them with,

Bill, I read an article where Dubai has used drones to seed clouds for rain using electricity to stimulate the clouds rather than chemicals. Thoughts? Viability? Concerns? 

https://interestingengineering.com/the-uae-is-using-drones-to-control-dubais-weather

Keith

1 hour ago, billvon said:

Back to the topic - 

Needles, CA, a city in the California desert (and famous for where Snoopy's brother lived) is now down to one working well, due to overpumping and the warming climate.  The pump for it runs 90% of the time, indicating it is very close to its limit.  Once that hits 100%, people there will see periodic water shutdowns.  Note that this is WITH an aggressive water conservation program.

We will see this more and more often as water supplies run dry - and there's nothing to replenish them with,

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2021-07-20/needles-california-fights-drought-along-colorado-river

And for some reason they are not allowed to touch the millions of gallons of fresh water flowing right beside them.

58 minutes ago, SkyDekker said:

And for some reason they are not allowed to touch the millions of gallons of fresh water flowing right beside them.

Every gallon of that water next to them is promised to someone else.  Sure, they could steal some - and then someone downstream would see an even bigger shortage.

These are the sort of issues we are going to be facing more and more often over the coming decades.

24 minutes ago, billvon said:

Every gallon of that water next to them is promised to someone else.  Sure, they could steal some - and then someone downstream would see an even bigger shortage.

These are the sort of issues we are going to be facing more and more often over the coming decades.

Hi Bill,

Re:  These are the sort of issues we are going to be facing more and more often over the coming decades.

It was in the late 60's or early 70's that then Sen. Mark Hatfield (R- Oregon) gave a speech to his fellow Republicans about the shortage of water becoming a disaster waiting to happen.  Some in the audience actually boo'd him for bringing such a crazy idea up.

Jerry Baumchen

On 7/22/2021 at 8:21 AM, BIGUN said:

Bill, I read an article where Dubai has used drones to seed clouds for rain using electricity to stimulate the clouds rather than chemicals. Thoughts? Viability? Concerns? 

I suspect that will have limited utility, since charged droplets can only be induced within a short distance from the field source.

But at a larger level this is going to be another conflict.  Here in CA, getting it to rain in LA means less rain in Mojave.  And someone is going to sue.

12 minutes ago, billvon said:

I suspect that will have limited utility, since charged droplets can only be induced within a short distance from the field source.

But at a larger level this is going to be another conflict.  Here in CA, getting it to rain in LA means less rain in Mojave.  And someone is going to sue.

Thank you.