2 2
billvon

Climate change problems are here

13 hours ago, timski said:

and what/where they want to pump that leftover stuff is going to end up REAL bad, for many...

Pump it into open air lagoons.  The water will evaporate; what will be left is pure salt.  This will increase rainfall in the local area and result in a product (sea salt ) that can be sold for profit.  Dispose of the remainder in mines.

Link to an article that was originally in Rolling Stone, about how the rich solve the climate crisis -- air conditioning. Yet another have vs. have-not item. It's a long article, but worth the reading.

When I volunteered in Houston, one of the primary purposes of where we were (a day program for homeless and poor) was to be able to hang out somewhere air conditioned for a few hours, and eat a couple of meals in air conditioning. I've lived in Houston without A/C, as a young woman. It was possible then, but the older I get, the less well I tolerate the heat. I think that's true of most people.

Wendy P.

1 hour ago, wmw999 said:

Link to an article that was originally in Rolling Stone, about how the rich solve the climate crisis -- air conditioning. Yet another have vs. have-not item. It's a long article, but worth the reading.

When I volunteered in Houston, one of the primary purposes of where we were (a day program for homeless and poor) was to be able to hang out somewhere air conditioned for a few hours, and eat a couple of meals in air conditioning. I've lived in Houston without A/C, as a young woman. It was possible then, but the older I get, the less well I tolerate the heat. I think that's true of most people.

Wendy P.

For many less well off its food or AC in super hot temperatures. In a poorly insulated mobile home a window AC is all they can afford.

However the well off have made additional choices. Here is the new Tesla killer if you can afford it.

Looks like some conservatives are finally getting religion.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/06/23/climate/climate-change-republicans.html

WASHINGTON — When Representative John Curtis quietly approached fellow Republicans to invite them to discuss climate change at a clandestine meeting in his home state of Utah, he hoped a half dozen members might attend.

Soon the guest list blew past expectations as lawmakers heard about the gathering and asked to be included. For two days in February, 24 Republicans gathered in a ballroom of the Grand America Hotel in Salt Lake City where they brainstormed ways to get their party to engage on a planetary problem it has ignored for decades.

“Some came with the promise of being anonymous. It’s terrible that Republicans can’t even go talk about it without being embarrassed,” Mr. Curtis said in an interview.

For four years under President Donald J. Trump, even uttering the phrase “climate change” was verboten for many Republicans. His administration scrubbed the words from federal websites, tried to censor testimony to Congress and mocked the science linking rising fossil fuel emissions to a warming planet.

Now, many in the Republican Party are coming to terms with what polls have been saying for years: independents, suburban voters and especially young Republicans are worried about climate change and want the government to take action.

“There is a recognition within the G.O.P. that if the party is going to be competitive in national elections, in purple states and purple districts, there needs to be some type of credible position on climate change,” said George David Banks, a former adviser to President Trump and now a senior fellow at the nonprofit Bipartisan Policy Center, a centrist Washington think tank. Republicans realize it is now “a political liability” to dismiss or even avoid discussing climate change, he said.

15 minutes ago, billvon said:

And this weekend it's going to hit 115 in Portland and 112 in Seattle.

It's here, and people are seeing the problems now.  Going to get progressively harder and harder to deny.

There will always be deniers.

tenor.gif

(edited)

First new records were set in this town as Canada's hottest place.Lytton, B.C. breaks Canada's all-time heat record for third time  "For the third straight day, Lytton B.C. broke the record for the hottest temperature ever recorded in Canada, with the thermometer in the Fraser Canyon village hitting a scorching 49.5 C."

Now the entire town is burning to the ground. Village of Lytton, B.C., evacuated as mayor says 'the whole town is on fire'

spacer.png

Soon the usual climate change deniers will be along. Suggesting perhaps that now the town can be rebuilt with all A/C homes and A/C buildings.

Edited by Phil1111

Someone else’s “inconvenience” is almost always seen as less inconvenient than one’s own. Add political statement in there, and it’s fertile territory all right. 
To any of our hardcore climate deniers, just consider if it’s found that a stove was left on or something: does that normally mean the whole town burns? Especially one that has for most of its life had to protect against cold rather than heat?
Wendy P. 

On 7/12/2021 at 7:11 AM, ryoder said:

Mother Nature is scheming to limit the use of fossil fuels:

Trouble in Alaska? Massive oil pipeline is threatened by thawing permafrost

So is the EU. Coming soon to American exports, carbon import duties.

"The most contentious element is something called a border carbon adjustment tax. It would impose tariffs on the greenhouse gas emissions associated with products imported from outside the European Union and, in effect, would protect European companies from goods made in countries with less-stringent climate policies. Among the products that it could target, according to a draft leaked in June, are steel, cement, iron and fertilizers.

This carbon border tax could not only shake up global trade and invite a dispute over protectionism in the World Trade Organization, it could also create new diplomatic fault lines ahead of international climate talks taking place in Glasgow in November."

The next casualty of climate change may be salmon in the Sacramento river.

The drought is making the Sacramento River so hot that “nearly all” of an endangered salmon species’ juveniles could be cooked to death this fall, California officials warned this week. . .

“This persistent heat dome over the West Coast will likely result in earlier loss of ability to provide cool water and subsequently it is possible that nearly all in-river juveniles will not survive this season,” the department said.

Given that the salmon generally have a three-year life cycle, a near-total wipeout of one year’s run of juveniles “greatly increases the risk of extinction for the species,” said Doug Obegi, a lawyer with the Natural Resources Defense Council.

The winter-run salmon endured two years of severe mortality during the last drought as well.

https://www.sacbee.com/news/california/water-and-drought/article252650328.html

There are mitigations, but they require (you guessed it) water.

For people who do better with data in graphic form:

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2021/climate/extreme-summer-heat.html?referringSource=articleShare&fbclid=IwAR2aiIactMf636i_uPMzt5v8Iw5T89UGGNnyZLu_bmO25iLc3kxM5uNz7Qk

And once again:

After a slight reprieve from this week’s extreme heat, which sparked raging wildfires that threatened electricity grids and lit up firenadoes in California, the region is preparing for its fourth scorching heat wave in just five weeks.  The U.S. just saw its hottest June on record, and heat has claimed hundreds of lives throughout the nation and Canada as well. But it seems this brutal summer isn’t ready to let up yet.

In a now-familiar series of events, a high-pressure system known as a heat dome will move into the region, forming a lid that traps hot air in the atmosphere. The high pressure will also lock in sunny skies, further reinforcing extreme heat.

Temperatures will begin their ascent over the weekend and peak on Monday, but it could remain freakishly hot for much longer in some places. While past heat waves have centered over California and the Pacific Northwest, this one will be a little further inland and straddle the U.S.-Canada border. An area from Idaho and Montana up to Alberta and Saskatchewan will see the worst of it.

https://gizmodo.com/a-new-heat-wave-will-set-records-across-the-west-this-w-1847306385

56 minutes ago, millertime24 said:

And here you have folks like me blowing black smoke out of my deleted Duramax in SLO Co...LOL

I could never understand why making a truck engine run poorly and waste fuel is appealing to some men. I like my engines to be in tune and efficient. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, gowlerk said:

I could never understand why making a truck engine run poorly and waste fuel is appealing to some men. I like my engines to be in tune and efficient. 

It shows that his opinions of “tree huggers” is more important to display than his interest in how his machinery runs. 
Wendy P. 

9 hours ago, gowlerk said:

My favorite story of "rolling coal" was posted on bikeforums.net a few years ago. Some imbecile did it to a group of cyclists. The cyclists caught up with the fool at the next traffic light as it turned red. One of the cyclists approached the drivers window, produced a badge, and demanded the fools license and registration. ^.^

22 minutes ago, ryoder said:

My favorite story of "rolling coal" was posted on bikeforums.net a few years ago. Some imbecile did it to a group of cyclists. The cyclists caught up with the fool at the next traffic light as it turned red. One of the cyclists approached the drivers window, produced a badge, and demanded the fools license and registration. ^.^

Yup. 

On a similar note, a number of years ago there was a kid with a rather nice truck. He lived a couple blocks from me. I would stop and chat with one of the folks on that block when out with my dog.
Of course, he had done all the (illegal) modifications to make it loud & smoky.

He had the habit of taking off up the street, leaving a smoky trail behind.
The neighbors tried to be nice and asked him to stop. He didn't.

So finally, being fed up with black soot being deposited on their houses, cars, lawn furniture, ect, someone asked the cops if something could be done.

A few days later, there was a cop sitting at the end of the block. When the kid 'did his thing', the cop pulled him over. After about 5 minutes of looking, the cop was up to about $2k in fines. The cop gave him a break and 'only' fined him $500, but told him the truck had to be parked until it was put back to legal. 

The truck was up for sale a couple days later.

3 hours ago, wmw999 said:

It shows that his opinions of “tree huggers” is more important to display than his interest in how his machinery runs. 
Wendy P. 

What I find comical is how little "tree huggers" understand about what is and isn't good for a vehicle. A vehicle eating its own shit isn't exactly good for it. Oh, and it doesn't always blow black smoke. Once the 68mm turbo compressor spins up the exhaust resemble the exhaust of a jet engine. Oh yeah, and it makes absurd amounts of power. But what do I know about making machines run optimally?