64rky

I am moving to the UK, need some advice

Hello all...

So apologies in advance for all these questions, and if these have been asked a thousand times before ;)

My wife and I will be moving back to the UK this year, we currently live in New York. I have recently graduated my AFF and working towards getting my USPA A-License... I should have this by the time I move back. So here are a few questions that I really wouldn't mind some advice on:

• What will I need to do (apart from joining BPA) to be able to skydive regularly in the UK? Will my USPA A License be valid? Will I need to convert?

• What is the Skydiving scene like over in the UK? I never skydived when I lived there, but remember a lot of clouds :P

• I will be living in London (South), and judging by the map (http://www.bpa.org.uk/where-can-i-jump/), Headcorn seems to be my closest DZ, any advice on this DZ?

I may have more Q's, but for now this is it. Thank you in advance for your help.

Brendan

I returned from 2 years living in the UK last August. My home DZ was Skydive Netheravon, The Army Parachute Association DZ on the Salisbury Plain. You could see Stonehenge from free fall which was cool!

1. In addition to joining BPA you will have to convert your license to BPA. The chief instructor at Nethers did this for me be going over my licenses and logbooks. I did not have to take any tests or evaluation jumps. If you are over 40 you will need a doctor's statement of fitness to skydive. The form is on the BPA website.

2. Skydive scene in UK is smaller and has more of a club feel. It is definitely more expensive! BPA membership is 110 GBP which is 142 USD at today's rate (though that is a better deal than I had due to currency fluctuation based on the Brexit vote). Civilian jump tickets at Nethers were 21 GBP and military tickets were discounted to 13 GBP. The civilian ticket price is roughly comparable to US since the Pound is down, but again when I was there I took a beating on the exchange rate. Yes, the weather is problematic! We spent a lot of time on the ground looking at clouds. Someone would eventually say "Cuppa Tea?" and we would have a "cuppa" and wait things out. The prime jumping time is May-August based on the weather. A lot of the very active Brit skydivers go to Spain, Dubai, and the US to jump in the winter. Even when we were jumping, Ops seemed to be slower and more deliberate without the usual American tendency to do everything fast. There seemed to be more safety consciousness (probably a good thing) but also more restrictive rules on what you can do, what gear you can use and who you can jump with based on training and certifications. A lot of older gear is outright banned and the joke is that BPA stands for "Ban Parachuting Altogether." A lot of the Brits I jumped with were amazed at what they saw as a very lax, "no rules" culture in US skydiving.

3. I never jumped at Headcorn since I lived only 25 minutes from Nethers. Like anyplace you will need to scout around and see what fits you best. Nethers was a big Wingsuit DZ though there were efforts to revive the Big-Way FS/RW scene.

Also, purchase all of your gear here in the US and take it back with you! Most skydiving gear in use in the UK is manufactured in the US and as you probably know, ordering it and shipping through Royal Mail from the US costs an arm and a leg! An alternative is to find a friendly US military or State Department jumper with a US APO mail box who will let you ship through them.

The BPA website is very extensive and has what you need in terms of forms and rules.

Cheers!

Chris
D-15996

If living in London (I have for 25yrs) I would suggest the following:

Hinton Skydiving Centre www.skydive.co.uk
Sibson (UK Parachuting) www.skydivesibson.co.uk
Netheravon Skydiving www.netheravon.com

I personally would give Headcorn a miss (even if closest). I don’t wish to besmirch their name here, but I don’t care for it as a DZ. As noted Netheravon is military (with civilian jumpers), so a different vibe.

The biggest obstacle/surprise you will find in the UK, as a newly licensed jumper, is the need to have a “FS1” sticker. Believe it or not, you are prohibited from jumping with other licensed jumpers (excepting coaches) until you have this in place. I’ve always viewed it as an asinine requirement, but that’s how it works here.

That said, many UK jumpers find their best jumping starting from the airfields of Heathrow or Gatwick (i.e. commercial flights to other locales).
"Pain is the best instructor, but no one wants to attend his classes"

RMK

That said, many UK jumpers find their best jumping starting from the airfields of Heathrow or Gatwick (i.e. commercial flights to other locales).

Thank you for your feedback.... what does this mean? you mean leaving the UK and flying in Europe :) ?

Yes, referring to travelling to Europe or elsewhere to visit other dropzones.

Looking at my logbook breakdown, less than 50% of my jumps are here in the UK. I know several jumpers (living in London) who have never made a jump in the UK.

Last year over 270,000 descents were carried out in the UK. You could add to those numbers and draw your own conclusions...or you can believe everything you read on the internet.
Skydiving Fatalities - Cease not to learn 'til thou cease to live

RMK

Yes, referring to travelling to Europe or elsewhere to visit other dropzones.

Looking at my logbook breakdown, less than 50% of my jumps are here in the UK. I know several jumpers (living in London) who have never made a jump in the UK.

Thank you for your help. Much appreciated.

64rky

***Last year over 270,000 descents were carried out in the UK. You could add to those numbers and draw your own conclusions...or you can believe everything you read on the internet.

Insightful, thank you!

Our experience is a few years old, but we figured we wouldn't jump as much when we moved to the UK, weather and all... Well, the weather is so-so at beast, but we did jump plenty in the UK, found a pretty good RW scene for us (it was 2000-2003), and met a bunch of people we still call friends.

Oh, and it's easy to travel and jump in Europe too ;)
Remster

The BPA requires additional training (additional to A License) to be able to jump with other skydivers with the following stipulations:

1) Prior to obtaining FS1, an ‘A’ Licence parachutist may make 2-way jumps, when not carrying out coaching jumps, provided he/she has received a full safety brief and the other parachutist is at least a ‘C’ Licence FS1 parachutist or equivalent, approved by the CCI.

2) Prior to obtaining FS1, during coaching jumps, no more than one non-FS1 parachutist per group (maximum of a 4-way), all other parachutists must be at least FS1 grade or equivalent, including an FS coach or equivalent.

The training culminates with passing a successful "FS1" 4-way formation jump upon which you get a sticker for your license (we love little books and stickers in the UK)

Looks like attached...

cpoxon

Last year over 270,000 descents were carried out in the UK. You could add to those numbers and draw your own conclusions...or you can believe everything you read on the internet.

That doesn't mean everything is all sweetness and light in the UK jumping scene. Far from it. The very fact that a number of different people have displayed reservations indicate that.

You don't see these kind of comments about any other country. Why might that be?

The BPA itself is the problem. Case in point this FS1 rule.
No other place has such a rule, hence the perception that the BPA make skydiving as difficult as possible.

Nitpicky nonsense that has no reason to be if the instructors do their jobs properly in the first place.

I personally know of 30 or 40 people who have trained and jump outside of the UK because they have been made to feel unwelcome at DZs in the UK.

Maybe the annual jump numbers would be 370,000 or 470,000 if it was easier to jump there.

Think about that.
My computer beat me at chess, It was no match for me at kickboxing....

cpoxon

It does seem BPA is disliked by British jumpers. Except for you, and you are a senior bureaucrat within BPA, no one seems to be defending the organization here.

Perhaps it is a little clubby in the boardroom?
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

Regarding Headcorn as an example (closest to South London & I noted as avoid). They oddly charge A Licesne jumpers an extra £2 per lift ticket - £25 vs £23 - their way of saying "welcome to skydiving new guy".

http://www.headcorn.com/index.php/flight-ticket-price-list

Then oddly have the visiting jumper club add-on costs as follows:

•Temporary BPA is mandatory for foreigners, current price £19.80 for one month
•There is a £5 day or weekend membership fee to pay to Skydive Headcorn Ltd
•Full membership is £30 and any visitor fees paid will be deducted on joining
•Membership is free to anyone with 1,000 jumps plus
•Kit hire is available for for licenced skydivers at £10 per jump please note we do not hire knives or altimeters.
•Repacks of Skydive Headcorn kit are £5 and made by any qualified packer.

obelixtim

...and the good ideas just keep coming. We now have newly implemented tracking qualifications/stickers:

http://www.bpa.org.uk/assets/Training/Training-manuals/1.-Tracking-Manual-2016.pdf

Seems they have provided a solution to a problem that doesn't exist.

obelixtim

***Last year over 270,000 descents were carried out in the UK. You could add to those numbers and draw your own conclusions...or you can believe everything you read on the internet.

That doesn't mean everything is all sweetness and light in the UK jumping scene. Far from it. The very fact that a number of different people have displayed reservations indicate that.

You don't see these kind of comments about any other country. Why might that be?

You aren't looking hard enough then or your glasses are too rose tinted. There is plenty of bitching about the USPA on here. And what's all that NZPIA/NZPF grief?

No other place has such a rule, hence the perception that the BPA make skydiving as difficult as possible.

Other places have similar rules. For example, so of the requirements for FS1 are requirements for USPA A licence.

Nitpicky nonsense that has no reason to be if the instructors do their jobs properly in the first place.

Would that be all the BPA instructors or just some of them?

I personally know of 30 or 40 people who have trained and jump outside of the UK because they have been made to feel unwelcome at DZs in the UK.

Good for you. There are many reasons to travel overseas to train...better weather, different prices, different levels of services.

One of the BPA's long-standing strategies is retention. In order to further this the BPA is making efforts to improve customer service with such initiatives as bringing James Le Barrie over to consult with dropzones.

Maybe the annual jump numbers would be 370,000 or 470,000 if it was easier to jump there.

Think about that.

Err, gee, why didn't I think of that!

RMK

Regarding Headcorn as an example (closest to South London & I noted as avoid). They oddly charge A Licesne jumpers an extra £2 per lift ticket - £25 vs £23 - their way of saying "welcome to skydiving new guy".

Nice assumption on your part. Have you ever asked them why they do that? Or just jumped to your own conclusions with a handy stick to beat them because of your own bias?

My biggest issue with Headcorn is that they are in the airspace for Gatwick and often get held a lot, plus they are at a very busy GA airfield, but there are pros and cons to all DZs.

RMK

***The BPA itself is the problem. Case in point this FS1 rule.

...and the good ideas just keep coming. We now have newly implemented tracking qualifications/stickers:

http://www.bpa.org.uk/assets/Training/Training-manuals/1.-Tracking-Manual-2016.pdf

Seems they have provided a solution to a problem that doesn't exist.

Do a lot of angle flying do you Michael?