Bluhdow

Denver Locals

I'll be spending some time in CO this summer and looking to get a feel for the local dropzones. I see there are a handful in the area but I'd love any feedback on what my options are.

I'm a wingsuiter and freeflyer, jumping mostly Fri-Sun and coming from SoCal where I'm spoiled with big DZs, fast planes, and great flyers.

I'm used to crappy landing areas and packing outside though. So let me know what will be better/worse for me as I plan to adjust to jumping in CO.

I suspect that my landings will be materially faster, but I don't swoop so I'm thinking my straight-in approaches shouldn't be an issue.
Apex BASE

Mile Hi in Longmont has fast planes and a huge landing area. The packing area is very nice. They don't fly Tuesdays or Wednesdays.

I'm told landing here is pretty fast but I've never seen a visitor have a problem with it.
I'm trying to teach myself how to set things on fire with my mind. Hey... is it hot in here?

FlyingRhenquest

Mile Hi in Longmont has fast planes and a huge landing area. The packing area is very nice. They don't fly Tuesdays or Wednesdays.

I'm told landing here is pretty fast but I've never seen a visitor have a problem with it.

It could be a problem if the visitor is used to landing at or near sea level under a high performance canopy (within 500 ft MSL), and goes to Colorado to jump for the first time.

My advice would be, use conservative approaches and landings until you get used to how your canopy lands at altitude.

FlyingRhenquest

I have. A visitor came in from another part of the country with much lower elevation, attempted a big hook turn, and femured in.

The punchline: He had been on MHS staff until a year prior when he quit and moved away.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

I'm on a Sabre 135 loaded around 1.35 and don't swoop. I jump at sea level currently but I suspect that I'll be able to adjust. I don't even hook in 90s at this point.

Which DZ is better for wingsuiting? Is there a big suit scene, or is it all Havoks/Funks/Etc.?

How about freeflying? I suspect with the tunnel there that a decent FF scene must exist, though I'm sure people might tire of paying to fly head down for 30 seconds (or however long the jumps last at that altitude).

Grazie!
Apex BASE

There are plenty of wingsuiters at Mile Hi. It seems like it's pretty common to see groups of 4-6 getting out of the otter. I'm still a newbie at it myself. Seems like it's mostly Phantoms and Havocs, but you see a larger suit every so often.

It's a pretty good freefly scene too. A lot of the tunnel instructors come to jump at the dropzone and plenty of people are into it to one degree or another. I'm not entirely sure I can recall the last time I didn't see at least a couple of freefly groups on the otter. There's a lot of that going on there.

I'm not aware of any other dropzones within a few hours of driving of Denver. There's one down in Canyon City that a lot of people like, but I want to say that's at least 4 hours drive from here. There used to be one in Boulder but they shut down due to owls or something. There also used to be one in Ft. Morgan, but they shut down as well.
I'm trying to teach myself how to set things on fire with my mind. Hey... is it hot in here?

My opinion - Into the Blue has the better vibe, MH has better lift capacity but at the end of the day it doesn't matter since more people go there. Both landing areas are adequate, with MH's being ginormous. Try them both. I live ~I-25/C470 and both are about the same distance for me. I personally prefer Into the Blue.

Bluh,

It's Out of the Blue. East Colorado Springs Airport (and they pretty much own it...no traffic). They typically have a KA, but currently a Caravan while the engine gets replaced. Turbine DZ with smaller DZ feel. It's nice, very friendly atmosphere. Limited wingsuiting, I typically have to coordinate with other wingsuiters before venturing over there unless I'm planning on solos.

Mile Hi has a huge wingsuit contingent, they typically fly a very nice Twin Otter but have 3 KA's on hand to keep the tandems separated from the fun jumpers when it's busy which can be really nice. First class facilities but the landing area is not next to the hanger.

I'd limit your search to those two until you get a feel for the area.
When you are at a party stop asking people "What do you do?" ask them..."What do you do for fun?"