rcdrury

Upgrading my archaic rig

I just started jumping again after a 20-year layoff. I have a 90s-era Vector with a 9-cell Raider main. Besides being obsolete, the Raider is designed for someone who is a who lot lighter than I am now, with better knees. The harness/container is in fantastic condition, as I suspect the reserve is as well. Can a modern 230-250' main fit in my container?

I don’t think anyone would be able to tall you without knowing the size of your container but I believe the Raider was an 220 square foot F111 canopy so I’d imagine your container would fit a ZP canopy around 190 or so.

Also, I don’t know how big you are but 230-250 (or 220 for that matter) is a pretty big parachute. ZP canopies are much easier to land than the old F111 canopies we used to jump. I relatively recently came back from a 20 year hiatus and after some jumps on bigger gear, I was back on what I used to jump in about 130 jumps or so although I really concentrated on canopy flying and got a bunch of coaching to get back into it. I’d recommend hiring some gear for a while and seeing how you sit with the more modern canopies before just going out and buying something you might find too big in a short time. If, after jumping some hire gear, you decide that a 230 is right for you then go for it.

(edited)
10 hours ago, rcdrury said:

I just started jumping again after a 20-year layoff. I have a 90s-era Vector with a 9-cell Raider main. Besides being obsolete, the Raider is designed for someone who is a who lot lighter than I am now, with better knees. The harness/container is in fantastic condition, as I suspect the reserve is as well. Can a modern 230-250' main fit in my container?

90s era Vectors can be either Vector 2s or Vector 3s. Either way, sewn onto the pouch where the data card is stowed will be written the model number of the container. Generally written by hand. It will be V-(something). If you can supply that number I can answer your question.

Raiders were if I remember correctly 220 sq ft F-111 type canopies. If your container is completely filled by it then no, a modern 230 ZP canopy will not fit. the next question is what reserve do you have? Up sizing the main to to fit your current weight and tolerance for firm landings while ingoring the reserve is generally considered unwise.

Edited by gowlerk
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, gowlerk said:

90s era Vectors can be either Vector 2s or Vector 3s. Either way, sewn onto the pouch where the data card is stowed will be written the model number of the container. Generally written by hand. It will be V-(something). If you can supply that number I can answer your question.

Raiders were if I remember correctly 220 sq ft F-111 type canopies. If your container is completely filled by it then no, a modern 230 ZP canopy will not fit. the next question is what reserve do you have? Up sizing the main to to fit your current weight and tolerance for firm landings while ingoring the reserve is generally considered unwise.

Hi Ken,

I seem to remember Raiders as being about 245 sq ft.  The Fury was 220.

Jerry Baumchen

"Survey says...", I mean, my old ParaGear says:   Raider = 220 feet in their 9 cell range of canopies (unlike the Fury), supposedly 484 packing volume (although those numbers can be uncertain).

If your rig is a Vector II, then attached is a pack volume chart. Although modern canopies don't always have volumes listed any more, so it isn't necessarily a great help in figuring out what modern canopy will fit in the rig. What you should be flying, both initially and as you get experience with ZP canopies, is a whole other thing.

09101 (Vector II sizing chart).pdf

5 hours ago, JerryBaumchen said:

Hi Ken,

Jerry Baumchen

Hi Guys,

My bad; memory is getting worse. >:/

The Sharpchuter ( I think ) was the 245 sq ft canopy & the Raider is a 220 sq ft 9 cell; vs the Fury, 220 sq ft 7 cell. *

Jerry Baumchen

* Best all-around canopy I ever owned.

• Like 1

Yes, rent gear from your local school for a few jumps. Then look at low pack volume main canopies. They pack one size smaller than regular ZP main canopies. For example, if your old Vector will hold a ZP 190, then it can also hold a LPV ZP 210. Everybody jumps ZP mains these days.

LPV reserves are also available. I just assembled and packed an LPV Optimum 215 reserve into a Vector 3 that previously contained a Smart 190 reserve.

It may be possible to update your old Vector II by adding a BOC, bridle cover and Cypres pockets. Al sot everybody jumps with an electronic automatic activation (Cypres, MarrS, Vigil, etc.) device these days.

(edited)
On 6/4/2021 at 10:24 AM, JerryBaumchen said:

Hi Ken,

Jerry Baumchen

Jerry the raiders were 220 sq ft i owned 2 of them. The raider always was and always will be my favorite canopy.

Edited by skyderrill66