1 1
e0782

Vortex container question

Alright, so I have a question. I have a vortex container, v6. With a volt 185. I’m looking to make a change in canopy. Possibly a little downsize action to a 170. I checked the parachute systems website for info on which canopy can get shoved in the bad Larry but I have come up with ZIP. Hoping for some advice and guidance 

In general, almost any container will have no trouble going down one size down from the recommended main. And in my experience, Vortex is very good at accommodating smaller mains. I personally use V4 (for 150 main), and have jumped an Optimum 143 (that's pack volume somewhere below 120 main) in it with absolutely no issues. I know of at least one person who's jumped non-crossbraced mains in the 107 range in a V4 and they were happy with it. I wouldn't necessarily recommend going down so aggressively, but you shouldn't have much of an issue with a 170 in V6.

The usual disclaimer applies: internet wisdom is not a replacement for your rigger's advice, and actually trying it out for yourself beats anecdotal evidence any day. Get you a 170 main (either Volt or a comparable 9-cell ZP) and see how it fits (and have it looked at by a rigger if in doubt). If the main tray holds shape, the d-bag isn't excessively soft, and—most importantly—the closing loop (which you might need to shorten) can maintain proper tension, you should be good. If you have a semi-stowless d-bag, you should also look at whether the line stow pouch is tensioned properly to stay secure; semi-stowless bags tend to be more sensitive to the exact pack volume than conventional, so you might need to work on fluffing the packjob up to make it work.