PROGRESSIVE

Canopy Size and Type/Deployment Design

I've been posting this all over the place and I'm getting all the information that I need to make the financial plunge...again.

After a 14 year layoff from skydiving, due to a hang gliding accident that left me with paralysis below my knees, I made my first jump since my accident last weekend.  I weigh 235 pounds and jumped a PD 280 main in a Vector harness and container.  I will be landing on my feet and butt.  What's everyone's opinion on Make, Model and Size of canopy that I should get?  What is the Make, Model of harness and container that people recommend?  What is the best deployment design, throw-out?  Pull out?  Ripcord?  I have been having difficulties with BOC throw-out, due to not being able to reach it. 

I have 888 jumps.

235 is quite a bit of weight; if you're tall also, then that's just life, but you know that.

If you're having trouble reaching a BOC, I wouldn't suggest a pull-out either; it's pretty much the same place. That leaves ripcord, which is still available at least in the Racer -- a friend of mine still jumps a ripcord rig (or at least did the last time I jumped with him some 7-8 years ago). You can work on flexibility, but unless you're pretty easily finding it, it just seems like yet another risk. I'm sure there are custom options available, but a ripcord protects your pin, and doesn't have velcro holding bridle. I'm assuming someone will be packing for you, so make sure they're good with packing a rig with a spring-loaded pilot chute.

I have no useful advice on anything else...

Wendy P.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PROGRESSIVE said:

A ripcord seems so nerdy...

A ripcord is less uncool than going in. Talk with the instructors and riggers at your dz and do what works best for you.

4 hours ago, wmw999 said:

...velcro holding bridle...

How old is your gear? Ha!

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, dudeman17 said:

How old is your gear? Ha!

My gear is BOC. But I’ve owned every deployment method I’m aware of: ripcord, FOL, ROL, BOC, pull-out, and shoved into the cavity where the lateral comes out of the container (yes, really), with bungee loops and bights of bridle holding the 2-pin container shut. 
Any questions? :halo: xD

Wendy P. 

• Like 3