1 1
Peter Anderson

Best deployment system for the main canopy

Skydiving gear has converged during this century. The vast majority of skydivers now jump kill-line pilot-chutes stowed in Spandex pockets sewn to the bottom of container.

Pilot-chute diameter varies between 26 and 36 inches depending upon the weight of the main container and expected speed at deployment time. People debate the advantages of F-111 versus ZP fabric, but ZP provides more consistent openings.

Deoployment bags usually stow most of their suspension lines in pockets closed with tuck tabs. Only two rubber bands lock the bag closed.

3 hours ago, riggerrob said:

ZP provides more consistent openings

I thought F-111 did?  ...and the advantage of ZP was longevity (more jumps before it turns into a rag)?

This is just with regards to fabric, not the shape (i.e. torroidal vs. conventional)

6 hours ago, lyosha said:

I thought F-111 did?  ...and the advantage of ZP was longevity (more jumps before it turns into a rag)?

This is just with regards to fabric, not the shape (i.e. torroidal vs. conventional)

This has been my understanding as well

16 minutes ago, nwt said:

This has been my understanding as well

I believe the point was being made about main pilot chutes/deployment system, not main canopies.

I don’t think stowless dbags are so common as to be considered where gear has converged. 

I've always been told that ZP might provide more consistency in pull force but causes oscillation as air can only spill out the sides which could get hairy on an aggressive canopy. To be fair, an old F111 with uneven wear can also cause similar oscillation and should be changed before it starts causing these issues. I recently started experiencing regular opening issues including a mal and changing my pilot chute eradicated this. Since this, I'll be sticking with F111 but will be changing my pilot chute when I change my lines before inconsistencies start creeping in.