1 1
Phil1111

Michael Flynn, Memorial Day and Military Coup

So on the Memorial weekend trump's QAnon little trooper Michael Flynn called for a military coup. he was speaking at a GOP/QAnon Texas conference. Where else could he be on this cherished weekend?

While most Americans think about the heroes like Audie Murphy, Alvin York,etc. The GOP and trumpists plot coups. The latest polls state "Fifteen percent of Americans believe that “patriots may have to resort to violence” to restore the country’s rightful order," Meanwhile US Federal Judges warn "Judge Amy Berman Jackson of the United States District Court in Washington wrote: “The steady drumbeat that inspired defendant to take up arms has not faded away. Six months later, the canard that the election was stolen is being repeated daily on major news outlets and from the corridors of power in state and federal government, not to mention in the near-daily fulminations of the former president.”

The poll went on to state that only 20% of republicans outright reject QAnon. With the rest prepared to acknowledge its theories are at least partially based in fact.

Meanwhile the rest of America is rapidly arming itself in numbers never seen before in all of America's history.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, RobertMBlevins said:

Military folks do NOT create political policy. They IMPLEMENT that policy. Unless they plan to run for political office, (see Dwight Eisenhower, Douglas MacArthur, Ulysses S. Grant, etc.) they should keep their noses and opinions out of policy.

You may have forgotten he was also National Security Advisor, a role which very much requires his nose to be in policy. I think it’s sufficient to focus on the insanity of what he said rather than whether it’s appropriate for him to say anything. Generally I’d expect any other non-felonious and non-mental NSA to have viewpoints worth listening to on any number of issues.

11 hours ago, RobertMBlevins said:

The idea that a former US military officer would even SAY such things is almost beyond belief. Even when I watched the news report about it, I couldn't believe it. Technically speaking, if you've been in the military, they COULD call you back into service in the event of a national emergency or something, especially in the case of officers...which means you are 24/7 still under the oath. (For enlisted it is different. Minimum service is four years active and four years IRR, ('Individual Ready Reserve') and then you are basically out.) But not for officers in all branches, except the Navy, which has a 30-year rule.) Otherwise it is life. Here is how they explain it:

In a nutshell, what this means is that when Flynn opened up his big, fat mouth...he was already in violation of the oath...and technically....YES....you could consider him a traitor to the United States. There is no way out of this. He knows better. He KNEW better. WTF is wrong with him? 

Military folks do NOT create political policy. They IMPLEMENT that policy. Unless they plan to run for political office, (see Dwight Eisenhower, Douglas MacArthur, Ulysses S. Grant, etc.) they should keep their noses and opinions out of policy. Especially when those opinions involve violations of the Title 18 statute. 

I have to chill on this issue a bit. I swear if Flynn was standing in front of me right now, I would dress him down just like that drill sergeant in Full Metal Jacket, and try shaming his ass right into the ground. 

Hi Robert,

Re:  Unless they plan to run for political office, (see Dwight Eisenhower, Douglas MacArthur, Ulysses S. Grant, etc.) they should keep their noses and opinions out of policy.

I agree.  Trying influence gov't. policy is what cost MacArthur his job.  As I recall, Geo. C. Marshall ( Sec of State at the time & former Chief of Staff ) wondered why Truman had not done it earlier.

Jerry Baumchen

(edited)
1 hour ago, RobertMBlevins said:

And those rules take precedence because Flynn has not resigned that commission. For him, those rules would apply over anything he did in a civilian capacity at the White House. One of those rules, which just happens to apply to everybody, is you should not espouse in any way the overthrow of any government in the United States, whether it's Federal or right down to your local city boys. 

No one’s arguing with that. When you went further and said he shouldn’t have any opinions on policy at all, that’s where you got lost. His job (however briefly) required him to help formulate the president’s opinions on policy.

Edited by jakee