1 1
ryoder

Job opening with the county; Only Christians may apply

On 6/4/2021 at 5:24 AM, rcdrury said:

You've made a great case for disallowing chaplains, but as long as they exist, their job descriptions include sectarian qualifications. If the existence of chaplains does not violate the First Amendment, having parameters consistent with their function doesn't either.

your argument has some basis in history, but as we all know, only the constitution is allowed to have the words set in the time period and not allowed to be adjusted to match the real world and changing language.  chaplain was originally christian, but has since come to include any religion. 

• Like 1

On 6/4/2021 at 5:50 PM, JerryBaumchen said:

Hi John,

As you posted:  Patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel.

Jerry Baumchen

Patriotism is basically:

• being proud of things you didn't do
  • which were done by people you've never met
  • by people who don't know you
  • being proud of being born in a particular geographical region
  • which, you also had no control over (who controls where they're born?)

If you haven't achieved anything you can be proud of, there's always patriotism and nationalism to run to. It's as comforting as religion is.

31 minutes ago, jaybird18c said:

How is it a political stunt. The fact that she’s been called out on her racism?

Just in case you truly can not see how it is a political stunt I will explain just this once. It is a stunt because she knew in advance that she would be called out. She did it on purpose because she wanted to draw attention and then focus that attention onto the lack of diversity in the press corps. But you knew that already, right?

2 minutes ago, jakee said:

Maybe you can discuss that in a new thread, since it has nothing to do with the subject of this one.

On the other hand, thread drift is both common and accepted here unless the topic heading clearly states "on topic".

1 hour ago, gowlerk said:

On the other hand, thread drift is both common and accepted here unless the topic heading clearly states "on topic".

Blatant 'whataboutism' isn't thread drift, it's intentional thread derailment.

14 minutes ago, jakee said:

Then you could have called him out for that I suppose. I haven't decided how many times I will reply to you before I let you get the last word in yet. But in any case, I decided to reply to him so it is now under discussion. If you don't like it, too bad.

2 hours ago, gowlerk said:

Then you could have called him out for that I suppose. I haven't decided how many times I will reply to you before I let you get the last word in yet. 

I find whenever you visit a new DZ you can always tell the people who love gossiping and backbiting the most because they're the first people you'll hear moaning about 'all the drama'. Same with the last word online. The only people who care about having it are the ones who keep complaining that other people want it.

But in any case, I decided to reply to him so it is now under discussion. If you don't like it, too bad.

So why did you start this conversation? are you just looking for an excuse to have an irrelevant argument that you can bitch about not getting the last word in? Whatever floats your boat, I guess.

21 minutes ago, jakee said:

I find whenever you visit a new DZ you can always tell the people who love gossiping and backbiting the most because they're the first people you'll hear moaning about 'all the drama'. Same with the last word online. The only people who care about having it are the ones who keep complaining that other people want it.

So why did you start this conversation? are you just looking for an excuse to have an irrelevant argument that you can bitch about not getting the last word in? Whatever floats your boat, I guess.

Word.

17 hours ago, jakee said:

Maybe you can discuss that in a new thread, since it has nothing to do with the subject of this one.

16 hours ago, jakee said:

Pfft. That's what he does.

Christianity is being criticized, so he comes in here and 'throws poo around' to distract & derail the conversation. 
He also repeatedly and consistently ignores questions about his claims, responding with irrelevant questions rather than answers.

I'm still waiting for him to provide that 'preponderance of evidence' that God exists.