1 1
BIGUN

The future of EV's

(edited)

If as advertised they will not be able to keep up with the demand for at least two years. I know they are using a lot of already sourced parts, but even so I am very surprised at the price. The "front trunk" is something people are going to love and is a huge advantage over conventional power. I predict aftermarket auxiliary battery packs will quickly come to market from third party suppliers to greatly increase range. Like an extra fuel tank goes into a truck bed now. Only more easily installed and removed as needed. 

The Tesla shorts are going to love this. 

Edited by gowlerk

9 hours ago, BIGUN said:

Times are changing and I find myself drawn to this new line of EV's. Ford just announced the Lightning Pickup with an entry price of 40K

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/2022-ford-f-150-lightning-electric-pickup-truck-specs-pricing/

I really want to not like it because, even as beat as my 2009 F-150 is, I don't need a Super Cab. But, $40K and less $7500 Federal and $2500 Oregon tax credits get me to $30K. Write a check at the dealership and then write it off that year and I have one for $16K. Sure seems that it was me they had in mind when they set this up.

17 minutes ago, JoeWeber said:

I really want to not like it because, even as beat as my 2009 F-150 is, I don't need a Super Cab. But, $40K and less $7500 Federal and $2500 Oregon tax credits get me to $30K. Write a check at the dealership and then write it off that year and I have one for $16K. Sure seems that it was me they had in mind when they set this up.

If they were so great, why would you have to be bribed with $10,000 of taxpayer money to buy one?

3 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

With nearly 20% of California EV drivers going back to internal combustion it’s going to be a while before EV are anything more than an upper middle class curiosity.

Let's tell the whole story:

According to a study by the University of California, around 80 percent of first-time EV buyers end up leasing or purchasing another electric car. The study notes that brands like Tesla showed especially high brand loyalty.

In contrast, the study found that buyers that owned some other EVs like ones by Fiat ended up going back to gas-powered cars. In fact, 20 percent of first-time EV buyers went back to internal combustion. However, it seems there was one central problem in these cases.

The study by the University of California found that most of these owners reported having trouble charging their vehicles. As a result, if you have access to solid charging infrastructure, chances are you’ll keep your next EV long term.

https://www.motorbiscuit.com/electric-car-owners-back-internal-combustion/

5 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

$10,000 of taxpayer money to buy one?

I wanna play. It's more of a deduction; not unlike your rental properties. Why does the government offer a marginal well tax credit. I mean if they can't make any money on those wells; wouldn't Econ 101 say they shouldn't exist?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

If they were so great, why would you have to be bribed with $10,000 of taxpayer money to buy one?

Man, you really need to think a little deeper. They are bribing me because they need me to buy one. I drive an F-150. The F-150 is the biggest selling truck in history. Do you honestly believe those double first geniuses at Ford haven't worked out why that is? Besides, it'll likely cost me 10 grand to clean my current truck just to trade it in. Hey, you think I'll get another credit?

5 minutes ago, BIGUN said:

I wanna play. It's more of a deduction; not unlike your rental properties. Why does the government offer a marginal well tax credit. I mean if they can't make any money on those wells; wouldn't Econ 101 say they shouldn't exist?

You mean like Brent's Shale leases or fracking investments or wherever he has an economic interest in big oil? Seriously, he's like a mom who can not stop herself from defending her dumb shit kid. There must be a reason.

9 minutes ago, JoeWeber said:

Besides, it'll likely cost me 10 grand to clean my current truck just to trade it in. Hey, you think I'll get another credit?

Donate it "as is" to a charitable organization and take the 3K deduction - that'll piss him off and help out a charity.  

9 minutes ago, BIGUN said:

But it is NOT a deduction. Where is the depreciation/interest paid/depletion of an EV?  It is nothing more than an incentive to purchase a vehicle that many folks would pass on if not for the free money.

3 minutes ago, BIGUN said:

Donate it "as is" to a charitable organization and take the 3K deduction - that'll piss him off and help out a charity.  

I did the same thing with my old Accord.  Donated it to a veterans organization though my deduction was a much more modest $300

(edited)
1 hour ago, brenthutch said:

If interstate highways are so great, why do they have to bribe us by letting us drive on them for free?  

Edited by NewGuy2005
  • Like 2

35 minutes ago, BIGUN said:

When I traded in my last F-150 during cash for clunkers it was awesome. The thing was so trashed I wouldn't drive it off the airport and made the sales guy come get it. I think I got a Ford $1000 credit, I financed it with Ford for another grand-and paid it off the next week-and got another $2500 for some bullshit reason. I was so opposed to the entire program, given that I needed a free new car like a sharp stick in the ear, that I didn't go in until the last minute when ethics don't matter. I was the last cash for clunkers deal in Oregon, I was told. 

2 hours ago, BIGUN said:

Let's tell the whole story:

According to a study by the University of California, around 80 percent of first-time EV buyers end up leasing or purchasing another electric car. The study notes that brands like Tesla showed especially high brand loyalty.

In contrast, the study found that buyers that owned some other EVs like ones by Fiat ended up going back to gas-powered cars. In fact, 20 percent of first-time EV buyers went back to internal combustion. However, it seems there was one central problem in these cases.

The study by the University of California found that most of these owners reported having trouble charging their vehicles. As a result, if you have access to solid charging infrastructure, chances are you’ll keep your next EV long term.

https://www.motorbiscuit.com/electric-car-owners-back-internal-combustion/

What?  Brent misrepresented a study and cherry-picked facts out of it???

I am jacks complete lack of surprise

1 hour ago, brenthutch said:

I have made a habit of living well within my means.  I drove it until the wheel fell off (figuratively)

So now some poor veteran who can't afford much is sitting by the side of the road with no wheels. I thought you were a veteran with some heart!

• Like 1

(edited)

spacer.png

Ford announced that it already has over 40,000 deposits.

Ford "said it will partner with SK Innovation, a Korean supplier that also makes batteries for Volkswagen and Kia, to assemble 60 gigawatts' worth of batteries each year in Commerce, Georgia. That adds up to roughly 400,000 of the Lightning's longest-range packs—a massive undertaking that, in sheer volume, represents nearly half of all F-series sales—and by 2030, Ford wants to quadruple that output from all of its battery plants worldwide. The joint venture is to be called BlueOvalSK, Ford said."

Edited by Phil1111