1 1
JoeWeber

Where else but China.

"Hello, Central Committee, should we stop the race? This is Chen. Please call +86 16742264298 soonest." 

At least 16 people were killed and five more are missing after extreme weather hit runners taking part in a 100km cross-country mountain race in China, state news agency Xinhua said on Sunday (May 23). 5 are still missing.

Seriously? Probably 21 dead and there was no one who could see the possibility and stop the race? This, Trump voters, is what autocracy looks like.

(edited)
1 hour ago, JoeWeber said:

Seriously? Probably 21 dead and there was no one who could see the possibility and stop the race?

Mountain weather can do violent things suddenly and unpredictably. 

"The race has been halted," the agency said.

https://www.rawstory.com/china-fatal-running-race/

Edited by gowlerk

(edited)
On 5/22/2021 at 7:15 PM, JoeWeber said:

This, Trump voters, is what autocracy looks like.

The CCP and the GOP have that one thing in common. Both believe that one party rule is better than democracy.

Edited by gowlerk

On 5/23/2021 at 2:15 AM, JoeWeber said:

Seriously? Probably 21 dead and there was no one who could see the possibility and stop the race? This, Trump voters, is what autocracy looks like.

Actually if the racers wanted to stop, they could have. This is the real land of the free, self responsibility and all that. No nanny state. 

8 hours ago, piisfish said:

Actually if the racers wanted to stop, they could have. This is the real land of the free, self responsibility and all that. No nanny state. 

In most of these ultra marathons in more extreme environments stopping doesn't remove you from danger.

On 5/24/2021 at 8:15 PM, murps2000 said:

I carry a Mylar survival blanket everywhere I hike, even in the summer. It weighs about 100 grams. But I’m not in a competition when I hike.

Per one report, the runner pulled out their survival blanket when they realized how grim things had gotten - and it got pulled right out of their hands by the winds.

8 hours ago, billvon said:

Per one report, the runner pulled out their survival blanket when they realized how grim things had gotten - and it got pulled right out of their hands by the winds.

I don’t feel so smart now. I finally came across that info myself. One runner claimed their blanket was torn to bits in the winds. Conditions rapidly became quite extreme. Ironically the most capable runners, who were furthest into the race, were the ones who got hit the worst. I guess hypothermia doesn’t care about your cardio ability.

7 hours ago, wolfriverjoe said:

Actually it does. People with more fat have better heat retention.

The 'lean & fit' types that are into this sort of event are much more susceptible to it.

Body fat percentage isn’t necessarily tied to cardio ability but I get your point. Skinny people do way better than I do hiking in the desert for similar reasons.