bluebird932

Stolen Rig

I sent a Rig to a Rigging Workshop for repair, and paid for delivery with insurance using the courier UK Mail. UK Mail then lost the parcel. They admitted that they lost it, but they said they would not pay out for it. There was no chance to win against them in court, as they had clauses in their terms and conditions in small print to get out of paying up. After that, the Rigging Workshop paid me £3000 as a gift even though they had nothing to do with it going missing, because they said "We like to keep our customers happy". Beside my Rig, a few weeks later, UK Mail lost another Parachute, and same again, UK Mail managed to get away with not paying out the insurance.

Container except sign is whole black, in decent condition, a-e flap and whole harness have been replaced with brand new legpads. Main Stiletto 170 in very good condition, reserve Raven 1 is from July 98 with no rides

bluebird932

There was no chance to win against them in court, as they had clauses in their terms and conditions in small print to get out of paying up.

If the story is as you told it, I wouldn't be so sure about that. If what is in the small print contradicts what is advertised it could easily be considered as purposely deceiving its costumers, which I doubt it would be defendable in court. But I am not a lawyer.....

I mail a lot of stuff via USPS and we live in a small town, village actually, where the two guys at the post office have become friends. They've both assured me that they consider USPS' insurance a waste of money. They have many many stories about something getting lost but neither can remember the postal service actually paying anyone, no matter how legitimate the claim. According to them it usually comes down to the higher ups saying "well, you claim that that was in the package, but we don't know that for sure, so claim denied."
Anyone on here have any actual experience with trying to get paid for something that USPS has lost?

Bob_Church

"well, you claim that that was in the package, but we don't know that for sure, so claim denied."

Doesn't an insurance contract have to specify what is insured and for what amount of money?
I'm not sure about the US, but I really doubt that argument will hold up for a European court, since one could argue if the company has any intention of ever paying out a claim.

I ship and receive by international mail often. Sometimes fairly valuable shipments. Mostly by Canada Post and then of course whatever country's PO. I've never lost a shipment or had one damaged, touch wood. I think most lost shipments are the result of package damage in transit. If the carton breaks open and the contents are on the floor of the truck or the warehouse the shipment will usually be considered "lost". So package your shipments well.

For Canada Post $100 CAD insurance is included, anymore is a paid option and the maximum you can buy is $1000. I never buy it. I'm sure one day I will lose a shipment, but so far so good. Thankfully I rarely ship to or from the UK.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

Wow. This really makes me rethink sending my rig in the mail. I just received my first rig from Chutingstar shipped via UPS without problems. I work with all 3 major shipping companies in the US quite a bit (UPS, FedEx, USPS) and the only thing I can say is that FedEx does the best job overall. I've had lost packages with UPS and USPS, as well as other problems, but FedEx has been on top of things from my experience. I hope justice prevails with this one.

If they're actually stealing them, doesn't it become a criminal case? And if enough people have had one stolen, don't you guys have a class action type lawsuit? Sounds like one way or another you might be able to run them out of business.
I'm trying to teach myself how to set things on fire with my mind. Hey... is it hot in here?