billvon

Worst rig

>>I thought SST stood for "Struggle Struggle Thump"
I was going for accurate terminology, not truth . . . LOL!

NickD :)

Gee, I wonder why there wasn't a Racer included in USPA's death notice? If other rigs are so great why do they continually change them?( ie Mirage relocation of the reserve pilot chute?) Say what you will but when it comes time to use my reserve I'll be glad it's a Racer and not some other rig where the reserve pilot may or may not launch!

I don't have enough knowledge or experience to have an opinion on the worst rig, but the worst canopy I ever jumped was an Apache. Absolute piece of shit. Hey, it was cheap and I only had what, 50+ jumps at the time. :S

"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I wasn't knocking Racers as besides one Wonderhog back in the 1970s they are all I've ever owned besides a Reflex. And not only because of the pop tops (although that's a big reason) but because almost every other modern reserve container is built totally wrong.

Ever see these videos . . .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYIUjKGxagI&feature=player_embedded

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=889765176342&ref=mf

> If other rigs are so great why do they continually change them?

Mainly cause skydiving has changed. (Racers have changed too, BTW.)

>Say what you will but when it comes time to use my reserve I'll be glad it's a
>Racer and not some other rig where the reserve pilot may or may not
>launch!

I recall a recent incident where the 'unique' Racer RSL caused a reserve total malfunction. I'd hate to be worried about that as I'm looking up at a mal.

National Warp III with a custom Delta Cloud made of 1.1 material and a 24' flat round with a 4-line release steering. They had many horseshoe malfunctions because the main pin protection was non-existant. The Cloud had the pack volume of a tandem. As far as the reserve, I weighed over 220 pounds and it was (in humour I'm sure!) recommended to not cut away from anything better than a streamer. And yes, I put over 400 jumps on the rig.

>>I recall a recent incident where the 'unique' Racer RSL caused a reserve total malfunction.
I never use an RSL so that's not an issue for me. I believe with an AAD they are kinda of redundant. But you're right there's been more than a few incidents with Racer RSLs over the years. It's one of the quarks of John Sherman I guess.

But you know we can nitpick every rig out there. If you're an experienced jumper you place your bet that your gear is set up for whatever happens to hit your particular fan. On the other hand having every possible safety do-dad installed and hooked up adds so much complexity sometimes just that can do you in . . .

The Para-Twin if anybody remembers it. You could mount the reserve on the chest or piggy back style where you would attach it by a huge zipper. Of course a rigger would have to make the change because it required removing the ripcord.

This thing was so heavy it felt like you had a jumper on your back.
You live more in the few minutes of skydiving than many people live in their lifetime

Is it a requirement to have jumped both canopies in it? If so....

A Handbury Container with Tapewells, a shortlined Para Commander, and a 24 foot Navy Conical with a four line release. (Also my first rig).

Not much controllability under that Navy Conical, but I still managed to avoid a sea of grape stakes surrounding Pope Valley and thus earned a glass of "Proprietors Reserve" and a ride back in a tractor from Farmer Bob.

Racer SST

Why is it such a fad for some people to criticize Racers?

The Racer has been manufactured continuously since the 1970's.
It has been popular because it works, and it's comfortable.

What other rig has been in production that long?
None.

Racer SST

Why is it such a fad for some people to criticize Racers?

The Racer has been manufactured continuously since the 1970's.
It has been popular because it works, and it's comfortable.

What other rig has been in production that long?
None.

Brand wars ?
sure. Wonderhog has been made since the 70s too. Granted, it has went through changes as well, but it's still the Wonderhog (or so says the TSO label).

BTW, the C9 canopies have been made for over 50 years. Doesn't make them any more pleasant to land :(

Hi captain,

because it required removing the ripcord.

Nope, it used the same ripcord. You just looped the housing around and put the ripcord in the 'other' pocket.

One quirk was that if you packed your reserve when it was on your back & then switched it to the front, the steering mods would be in front of you. A local guy with one just put the mod on the side. In one situation the mod is on your right & in the other situation the mod is on your left. B|

JerryBaumchen

Racer SST (pre-riser covers) with a Diablo and a Micro Raven 120. I think I'd only jump the MR120 if landing it in the water was an option.

Then there was the Nova, which although would kill you in turbulence, actually flew and landed very nicely in smooth air - so it doesn't quite make "worst rig" status.

put a few hundred jumps on an SST - no problems
packed it with a Strato Cloud using a frap strap and a 24-flat, took 2 rides on that bad boy, one due to the floating pud

whatever happened to the frap strap?

as for the Nova, what a great canopy, too bad people didn't take care of them and check the line trim, we test jumped the proto type in old Z-Hills in a Teardrop and everyone wanted to know what it was

as for the worst gear:
- the old refrigerator freezer comes to mind, 3 or 4? pin container with dual main pilot chutes
- main - Cruiselite with the cell dividers that constantly ripped
- of course the 24' flat - got you down safe - well sort of
Give one city to the thugs so they can all live together. I vote for Chicago where they have strict gun laws.

hundred jumps on an SST - no problems took 2 rides on that bad boy, one due to the floating pud

The "Struggle Struggle Thump" nickname was before my time, but from what I remember....floating puds were where that nickname came from.

cant seem to find the spec's online atm, but if I recall on the micro 120 the max exit was around 168 and recommended was 120? ... *(dont crucify me if wrong...been a while :P)
at the time my exit weight was 165 so I was at the top of its range - I would never recommend anyone flying one over a low 1.something wingload... however, other than the landing which bruised the hell outta my ass, ego and knocked the wind outta me - the canopy opened and flew nicely.

I had swapped with my gf of the time because I didnt want her on it and was familiar with the characteristics of the canopy... and it still bit me in the ass when idiot me failed to realize at the time that the white canopy above me wasnt the same white canopy I had used twice before... whups [:/]

Roy

They say I suffer from insanity.... But I actually enjoy it.

Getting a hair off topic, but I had a ride on an MZ120 (loaded 1.5 to 1 or so at the time). It landed great, but I pulled double fronts to pick up speed on that little SOB because my friend broke his hand the week before folding up his similar reserve. I did some practice landings up high, and it stalled hard/fast.... so I figured a little speed would be a good idea. Not sure I'd recommend it as a general practice, but it worked like a charm for me.

looking at the Racer one on FB I was wondering if it was standard practice by them to video ALL reserve deployments on ALL rigs that they get in for repacks? Not heard of that before.... :|

I like my canopy...

...it lets me down.

>I am curious why you picked a diablo though . . .

They were the #1 canopy to spin up at Perris for a while. They are remarkably unstable with brakes stowed. Once released they seem to fly OK though.

I put 400-500 jumps on a Diablo. Never had a problem or chop.

Kinda tired of the"Know it all" attitude.:)

5 cell strato-star...
in it's orginal "lunch box sized" container,,, with
R3's for the releases.. ( I had one of those suckers Disconnect!!!:o:S[:/]:( as i did a stand up landing under my papillon )

and a chest mounted 24 foot, flat cheapo...

Mounted on the UPPER D rings,, so that the damn thing was in your face,,,, and the altimeter/stopwatch plate smashed you in the nose,,, when you opened..:|B|[:/]>:(

disclaimer to add..... while MANY loved the Strato Star..:S[:/]:o ,, and at the time,, it WAS ok for the lightweight types.... the ONe time i jumped one... I'm glad i got to the pea gravel, cause that canopy pretty much stalled out... on touchdown....so for ME... i vowed to never jump one, again...:P

jmy
A 3914
nscr 1817

I think I'd only jump the MR120 if landing it in the water was an option.

Huh, I stood up my micro raven 110 the only time I have had to use it. I'm sure ther is better but that is a bit over the top.

My first rig was one of those old racers with no riser covers and a rinsed out old maveric 200, but i cannot fault it as it performed as it was intended. still have it and will probably jump it again one day.

For me the worst rig is any rig that does not perform as it was intended to do.
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

I would firstly like to apoligose up front for not beeing exactly on topic. I recently started packing at my home DZ. There was a guy there who doesn't jump that often anymore, but has about 1300 jumps total and started in 1979 if I am not mistaken. Just two or three days ago he came to vistit our DZ because he was back in the country for a while. He made a jump and asked me to pack it. I really don't know alot about gear and all (I do always ask how to close the container flaps and how to route the bridle etc.) Anyway, he was jumping a really old Teardrop container (I don't know how old, I've never seen it before) with a Stiletto 135 and with an unknow reserve. When put the bag in the container I noticed that there was no pouch to put the PC in (no leg pouch, no BOC, ...) When I asked him where the hell I should stow his PC he said "You just stuff it al in the container on top of the D-bag after you've put the D-bag in and stuff the pull-out handle in a small cover on the right side of the rig." I was really surprised! When I saw him put the PC in the container on top of the bag pretty sloppy, I was stunned. Isn't it really easy to get a knot in your PC bridle this way? I actually still worry about when he will make his next jump because I don't understand how in the hell that could be considered a safe rig. I'm thinking of not packing his rig anymore because I am in no way familliar with this kind of setup. Was this setup normal in the earlier days of skydiving?
"In a mad world, only the mad are sane"