billvon

Worst rig

There have been plenty of discussions out there about what the best rig is, with people posting their favorite mains, reserves and containers, and people fantasizing over what the 'ideal' rig is.

So what's the worst rig you can come up with? Let's make it a rig you would actually jump if you really had to (say for an off-DZ jump where landing in salt water was a likely result, or a second rig for a jump you really wanted to make.)

For me two rigs come to mind:

Racer SST (pre-riser covers) with a Diablo and a Micro Raven 120. I think I'd only jump the MR120 if landing it in the water was an option.

Swift container with a Pursuit 215 and a Navy 26' (this was actually my first rig; was awful)

Then there was the Nova, which although would kill you in turbulence, actually flew and landed very nicely in smooth air - so it doesn't quite make "worst rig" status.

Such a plethora of options :)
I'd have to put a Piglet rig with a Strato-flyer main and a 4-line release 24' flat on that list. The Piglet was the original reason for the last-hope rope (I know of at least 2 low-altitude loop locks).

That would be one I'd only jump into water. I'll admit I never jumped a flyer, but they sure appeared to suck.

More modern gear -- an unmodified Safire 1 with a micro-raven 120 (a 150 is fine for me) in a Naro. I hated my Safire. No real problem with the Naro, it's just the ugliest container I ever saw :ph34r:.

Wendy P.

There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I would have to go with a older racer as the container as they just look bad - sloppy and clumsy looking.
main would be the nova, nothing like not being sure if you will have a canopy close to the ground to spice up the jump.
reserve would be the micro raven 120 (*never mind that its what I actually jump) it will get you to the ground safely but is way too touchy on its stall point.

I am curious why you picked a diablo though, I have many jumps on them in all sizes from very lightly loaded, to a 2-1 wingload and they all flew and landed well in turbulence and in smooth air.

Roy
They say I suffer from insanity.... But I actually enjoy it.

For a container anything pre-Racer (when they were called a SST for Super Swooper Tandems.) Any canopy from Glidepath, except the Pegasus and Fury, as those were okay. But the Clipper or Nova were total widow makers. And somebody at Glidepath should have went to prison over the Nova.

Secondary worst container would be anything with a frigging Dolphin on it, LOL . . .

Reserve would be a five cell Para-Flite Safety Flyer which was absolute garbage!

NickD :)

I have 1500+ on my reflex and I still love it, its a great rig -its tight, nothing exposed, reserve pin very well protected - I dont use the catapult though, that was removed

Roy
They say I suffer from insanity.... But I actually enjoy it.

anything pre-Racer

Had one of those as a backup rig

Any canopy from Glidepath, except the Pegasus and Fury

Had a Firefly; it was awesome
Of course, I jump a Diablo for fun, too :ph34r:

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

My first rig was a 1984 Racer, Fury-220, and 26' reserve. I actually did sell it to someone to make a salt water jump. He actually only wanted the main, but I made him take the whole thing for $100.

It was a steaming pile of shit, but the whole rig only cost me $600 (in 1996) and lasted a whole 40 jumps before being grounded for harness damage (that my original rigger didn't inform me of).

- Dan G

when loaded the flair point is at about your neck, any farther on the brakes and it will fold up with no warning and drop you on your back.

Roy

Saw that happen to a World Team guy. Broke his arm.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

What about this one??? Centaurus + Pegasus + Phantom 26. The worst thing about this gear is that it's still in use:S Don't ask me "why" and "how"[:/]

Blue skies

"My belief is that once the doctor whacks you on the butt, all guarantees are off" Jerry Baumchen

Hmmmm
I put a few hundred jumps on black and yellow Green Star Trac II with capewells and a 26' LoPo back in the mid 70's.
I got to cutaway the capewell shot and a halfs and pull the blast handle twice to air out my reserve.

I had a pull out on it that was attached to the spider slider that caused "unique" openings on my parafoil that was flat packed and S-folded into the main container without the "sleeve" that used to snivel for oh... 1800 ft or so.

It seemed to work for me... I am still here to annoy people;)

Sorry, the Pegasus was an awesome canopy. It has a whole thread dedicated to it in the History forum.

Wendy P.

Concerning those reserves folding up, I've seen them do that too...but in their defense they were wingloaded way over what the recommended max was. Within TSO of course, but the ones I saw fold up fast/hard were loaded 1.6 to 1 and higher. Wasnt the rec. like 1.2 or 1.3?