wut-guy-creations

Skydiving (or wingwalking) in a dress?

Question

Hey, so here's the thing. I really love wearing dresses and skirts. I just kind of do. But I also want to try either skydiving (most likely in a tunnel, I'm not sure I have the courage to actually skydive lol) or wingwalking, mainly wingwalking because that's slightly less terrifying Granted, Im probably too young to do any of this now, but does anyone know whether or not I will be able to wingwalk or skydive while wearing a dress or a skirt? I've just been thinking about that for a while and I was wondering if I could really do that.

Ok, so a little after typing this, I've seen videos of people skydiving AND wingwalking in full wedding dresses, and to kind of clarify, though it would be fun, it's not quite what I want. I mean just any kind of dress or skirt really

• Like 1

14 answers to this question

There are two concerns: one is the dress or skirt flapping over your emergency handles or your parachute (both would the start of a bad day). The other is that your harness (that holds you into the parachute) is cinched around the tops of your legs, thereby kind of doing away with the skirt feel. 
The only (relatively) safe way I could think of would be to have a tight skirt on OVER your properly-fitted harness, and secured around your knees to keep it from flying up. 
That’d be a specialty jump for an experienced jumper, in my eyes. 
And it’s possible to find videos of lots of things that aren’t safe. 
Wendy P. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wmw999 said:

There are two concerns: one is the dress or skirt flapping over your emergency handles or your parachute (both would the start of a bad day). The other is that your harness (that holds you into the parachute) is cinched around the tops of your legs, thereby kind of doing away with the skirt feel. 
The only (relatively) safe way I could think of would be to have a tight skirt on OVER your properly-fitted harness, and secured around your knees to keep it from flying up. 
That’d be a specialty jump for an experienced jumper, in my eyes. 
And it’s possible to find videos of lots of things that aren’t safe. 
Wendy P. 

Huh, that does make sense for skydiving, definitely. Do you think a safer option would be in a wind tunnel or even trying wingwalking? Thanks!

4 hours ago, wut-guy-creations said:

Huh, that does make sense for skydiving, definitely. Do you think a safer option would be in a wind tunnel or even trying wingwalking? Thanks!

I'm not sure why you think wing walking is safer or less frightening than skydiving. Wind tunnel operators are particular about what participants wear in the tunnel. Both the activities you want to do in a skirt will require you to learn how to do them in the standard manner first. Once you do that you will know how to explore the possibilities. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, gowlerk said:

I'm not sure why you think wing walking is safer or less frightening than skydiving. Wind tunnel operators are particular about what participants wear in the tunnel. Both the activities you want to do in a skirt will require you to learn how to do them in the standard manner first. Once you do that you will know how to explore the possibilities. 

Yeah, that does make sense. I was just wondering if there was ever a way I could do that or something similar to it. Thanks!

A few years back, a couple of young ladies showed up to do tandems, and for religious reasons they always wore these calf-length skirts. Consulting with them and their fathers, we couldn't convince them to put on pants or jumpsuits, and their dads certainly weren't going to have us putting the harnesses on under the skirts. So we checked it out and found a way to make it work. We bunched the skirts around their thighs and pulled the excess down, and it worked fine without being immodest. It ended up looking kind of like those 'skorts' or 'gauchos', or whatever they call them.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, dudeman17 said:

A few years back, a couple of young ladies showed up to do tandems, and for religious reasons they always wore these calf-length skirts. Consulting with them and their fathers, we couldn't convince them to put on pants or jumpsuits, and their dads certainly weren't going to have us putting the harnesses on under the skirts. So we checked it out and found a way to make it work. We bunched the skirts around their thighs and pulled the excess down, and it worked fine without being immodest. It ended up looking kind of like those 'skorts' or 'gauchos', or whatever they call them.

Ah cool!

1 hour ago, dudeman17 said:

I've done that with a man who wanted to jump in a kilt. Actually there were a group of three guys.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, dudeman17 said:

That sounds probably like the one good way to do that, but I'm just wondering how I would do it while staying more with that sort of skirt feel to it lol

4 hours ago, wut-guy-creations said:

I'm just wondering how I would do it while staying more with that sort of skirt feel to it

You could have the harness put on under the skirt, as Wendy suggested. A bit of intimacy with your instructor, but that's just how it goes. Your user name suggests that you're a guy, but if you are a gal you can find female tandem instructors. Understand that you could probably do this with a tandem jump, but if you end up training AFF, you'd be wearing a normal jumpsuit. Once you were experienced, the issue would be between you and your S&TA.

I'll leave it to the tunnel and wing walking people to decide for their venues. But understand that a skirt really isn't that aerodynamic for body flight (tracking/wingsuits notwithstanding).

On 5/21/2021 at 6:33 PM, wut-guy-creations said:

I've seen videos of people skydiving AND wingwalking in full wedding dresses, and to kind of clarify, though it would be fun, it's not quite what I want. I mean just any kind of dress or skirt really

Those videos were people who were already advanced skydivers or wing-walkers. The real question is: Do you want to safely skydive or wing-walk or do you want to wear a dress.  

• Like 1

More than one Scottish soldier has jumped in a kilt. They fasten leg straps first, then wrap their kilts over top.

If you want to jump in a long wedding dress, make it out of very porous lace so that wind can blow through it.

22 minutes ago, MickPatch said:

Came across this ad when reading an old mag online and thought of thos thread

I'm fairly confident Magali did not start skydiving in a dress.