1 1
BMAC615

When Can I Do That Thing I Want To Do?

14 hours ago, gowlerk said:

When Can I Do That Thing I Want To Do?

When she says you can...

You can do anything you want, dear. After you mow the lawn and fix the garbage disposal.  It's only been a month since I asked you to do them...

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, skybytch said:

You can do anything you want, dear. After you mow the lawn and fix the garbage disposal.  It's only been a month since I asked you to do them...

A month without mowing? You don’t need no stinking garbage disposal!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, gowlerk said:

A month without mowing? You don’t need no stinking garbage disposal!

I know, it was easier last year when you let the lawn die.  And you are right, I don't need a stinking garbage disposal, thus the request to fix the fucking thing already.  If you get a new main, I get a working garbage disposal, asshole. 

Of course I mean that in the nicest possible way. :halo:

56 minutes ago, skybytch said:

I know, it was easier last year when you let the lawn die.  And you are right, I don't need a stinking garbage disposal, thus the request to fix the fucking thing already.  If you get a new main, I get a working garbage disposal, asshole. 

Of course I mean that in the nicest possible way. :halo:

Okay then. You win dear.

(edited)

On a serious note, I’m curious to know what the people in this forum think of this video and the opinions contained. I made it for my students/pups to set a baseline of understanding of when to expect to do certain things.

Edited by BMAC615

14 hours ago, BMAC615 said:

On a serious note, I’m curious to know what the people in this forum think of this video and the opinions contained. I made it for my students/pups to set a baseline of understanding of when to expect to do certain things.

So this is your video, attempting to give them guidance as to how they should progress.

And you're looking for feedback/reviews on it.

Any particular reason you didn't say that in the first place?

25 minutes ago, BMAC615 said:

I didn’t care to get feedback until some guy on Reddit said it was terrible instruction to recommend people wait until they have a lot of experience before engaging in angle jumps. Was curious if anyone else felt that way. 

What are your qualifications and how did you formulate your recommendations? Truthfully I got about 5 minutes into and became bored. I know you put some effort into doing this, so I feel a little bad, but I'm not sure the skydiving world needs your opinions on this to be blunt. Your profile does not list your extensive coaching and instructing background. Maybe you are qualified, but I have no way of knowing. I suspect that if you were you would not need validation here from the reddit critique. 

• Like 1

Gowlerk, I think this is for an audience we’re not part of — people who watch a lot of YouTube’s to learn stuff (or maybe watch a YouTube to, for instance, figure out a recipe). We read stuff; others want the discussion. 

But then I always skip to the printed instructions. Videos are too linear, and I’m more random access  

I’d run it by some younger instructors and/or coaches; they’re closer to the target audience. 
Wendy P. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BMAC615 said:

I didn’t care to get feedback until some guy on Reddit said it was terrible instruction to recommend people wait until they have a lot of experience before engaging in angle jumps. Was curious if anyone else felt that way. 

That video is definitely long and I couldn't sit through it.  But as in most disciplines in skydiving - are you doing a solo angle jump or a 10way?  Are you trying to do CRW with your 50 jump buddy or the guy with 5000 CRW jumps?  Are you trying to sitfly with 4 friends when none of you can keep it for a whole skydive?  

So much depends on the experience of everyone involved.  I have done a ton of CRW jumps with people who had less than 50 jumps but they were simple 2 ways with me who has world records in the discipline.  Them doing a 2-way with another 50 jump wonder would be a completely different thing.

Trying to sitfly with your friend who also has 50 jumps is a completely different beast than doing a sitfly with someone who has a thousand freefly jumps..

• Like 1

I will say that as a 10+-minute video to answer some questions, it’s a good start, and makes the point regularly that this stuff isn’t automatic. It’s the video format that’s not for me, but I’m not it’s target audience. 
Wendy P. 

• Like 1

On 5/21/2021 at 6:34 PM, BMAC615 said:

I’m curious to know what the people in this forum think of this video and the opinions contained. I made it for my students/pups to set a baseline of understanding of when to expect to do certain things.

My opinion is that it's a good video to cause discussion. Consider, 1) Establishing your credibility on a single page, and 2) a "Table of Contents" with timeline benchmarks in the description section. For example: 

Watch this video to learn more about the difference in skydiving disciplines:

Subject | Video Timeline

Wind Tunnels | 1:43

Accuracy | 2:15

Kinethesia | 3:05

Etc. Etc.

• Like 2

(edited)

Regardless of my qualifications, is the content sound? I didn’t spend a ton of time on this, but, I figured someone might benefit from the work I did, so, I posted it. The reason I’m seeking feedback is I want to make sure I’m not giving any wrong, bad, or dangerous advice or that I’m not overlooking any errors. Some guy on Reddit lobbed a comment that, “This is such horrible instruction” with no follow up and it made me second guess the content.

My inner circle of instructors, coaches and S&TAs have all agreed on the material, but, it can’t hurt to get more perspective from this group as, collectively, you all have a gained a ton of knowledge and experience while I was away.

If it really matters, I started jumping in FL in 1993 and achieved my D-License within 6-months (so I could go to the ‘93 WFFC); went through the Kinesthesia program with Guy and Pam Manos, Guy later personally trained me on how to teach the Kinesthesia methodology and I went on to train many new jumpers using the program before the coach rating existed; US Army Airborne, stationed at Bragg/Raeford mid-90s; Static Line, AFF, Tandem Instructor;  trained in all disciplines with numerous world champions; I was also one of the first wind tunnel instructors at the original SkyVenture in Kissimmee in ‘99-‘00.

I left skydiving in 2000 after working full-time for several years at a couple FL DZs and SkyVenture. Came back in October of 2020 to pursue wingsuit flying. Did my FFC w/ Dan Darby in March and just finished training w/ Scotty Bob and Julia for four days.

Since coming back, I have been jumping with recent A and B License holders and have told this story numerous times already and decided to make a video series so I don’t have to give this presentation in person 2X a weekend. Also, it allows me to baseline expectations of the pups I’m working with. I’m not so worried about reaching a broad audience and specifically avoided the “HEY GUYS, WHAT’S UP? TODAY WE’RE TALKING ABOUT SKYDIVING DISCIPLINES - BE SURE TO LIKE AND SUBSCRIBE!”

So, am I missing anything or is anything I said bad or unsafe?

Edited by BMAC615

(edited)
1 hour ago, BIGUN said:

My opinion is that it's a good video to cause discussion. Consider, 1) Establishing your credibility on a single page, and 2) a "Table of Contents" with timeline benchmarks in the description section. For example: 

Watch this video to learn more about the difference in skydiving disciplines:

Subject | Video Timeline

Wind Tunnels | 1:43

Accuracy | 2:15

Kinethesia | 3:05

Etc. Etc.

And I had considered breaking this up into lots of little videos and making a playlist. That may be the right thing to do. Appreciate the feedback!

Edited by BMAC615

8 hours ago, BMAC615 said:

have told this story numerous times already and decided to make a video series so I don’t have to give this presentation in person 2X a weekend. Also, it allows me to baseline expectations of the pups I’m working with.

I took it as exactly this - not necessarily instruction, but discussion points for the sub 200 skydivers. Hutch and I used to work the WFFC specific to getting and keeping the sub 100s in the sport, fun jumps, easy four ways, SCR's and most important -  safety at a large boogie. We too had these conversations "When can I do that?" in the evenings. 

There's always one guy on Reddit that's going to poop on anything you do - cause, well, they can. 

• Like 1

(edited)

Cool, then it hit the mark and as I suspected, there’s no bad/unsafe opinions. I just send my pups to my channel and tell them, “watch all this stuff before we begin working together next week.”

Again, appreciate the feedback!

Edited by BMAC615
  • Like 1

(edited)
15 hours ago, BIGUN said:

I took it as exactly this - not necessarily instruction, but discussion points for the sub 200 skydivers. Hutch and I used to work the WFFC specific to getting and keeping the sub 100s in the sport, fun jumps, easy four ways, SCR's and most important -  safety at a large boogie. We too had these conversations "When can I do that?" in the evenings. 

There's always one guy on Reddit that's going to poop on anything you do - cause, well, they can. 

Also, I added this to the description: “Brief Overview of appropriate timing of when to learn various skydiving disciplines from someone who began skydiving in 1993; US Army Airborne; Static Line, AFF, Tandem & Wind Tunnel Instructor. I instruct/coach students, A and B License holders and have told this story numerous times and decided to make a video series so I don’t have to give this presentation in person 2X a weekend. Also, it allows me to baseline expectations of the pups I’m working with.”

Edited by BMAC615

3 hours ago, BMAC615 said:

Also, it allows me to baseline expectations of the pups I’m working with.”

My $.02 is to strike this phrase and replace it with . . . This presentation will allow the newer skydiver to view different disciplines for us to discuss more in-depth and get them on a swim-lane specific to their passion.  

• Like 1

(edited)
3 hours ago, BIGUN said:

My $.02 is to strike this phrase and replace it with . . . This presentation will allow the newer skydiver to view different disciplines for us to discuss more in-depth and get them on a swim-lane specific to their passion.  

Perfect - exactly the type of feedback I was looking for! This is the full description now:

Brief Overview of appropriate timing of when to learn various skydiving disciplines from someone who began skydiving in 1993; US Army Airborne; Static Line, AFF, Tandem & Wind Tunnel Instructor. I instruct/coach students, A and B License holders and have told this story numerous times and decided to make a video series so I don’t have to give this presentation in person 2X a weekend. Also, this presentation will allow the newer skydiver to view different disciplines to have a more in-depth discussion with their instructor in order to get them on a path specific to their passion.

Watch this video to learn more about the differences in skydiving disciplines: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1rMtCPZFGw

Learn Basic Belly Flying Skills: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLks4G_kAOgo5di84rCJEZ4CTFX5O74WdQ

Kinesthesia: The Art of Body Flight https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9P_QPWyay20&list=PLks4G_kAOgo5di84rCJEZ4CTFX5O74WdQ&index=9

Learn Advanced Body Flying Skills: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLks4G_kAOgo5aHTzd83fk1NQY5Y6fcWuC

How to get into Angle Flying: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CL4s4zRB-yI

How to get into Freeflying: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6oiHGcCu94

Learn Basic Wingsuit Information: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZGhmoggknk&list=PLks4G_kAOgo72t9u-4BNiK53IInvcL-Gs

Edited by BMAC615
  • Like 1

I'm not sure about your advice on canopy piloting. It can be more dangerous to learn to swoop on a lower performance canopy than a higher performance one because the shorter recovery arc brings the whole operation down in altitude, reducing the margin for error.

(edited)
5 minutes ago, nwt said:

I'm not sure about your advice on canopy piloting. It can be more dangerous to learn to swoop on a lower performance canopy than a higher performance one because the shorter recovery arc brings the whole operation down in altitude, reducing the margin for error.

What is your order of operations for teaching high performance landings? What do you teach first? Then what? Then what?

P.S. Appreciate the feedback!

Edited by BMAC615

(edited)
1 minute ago, BMAC615 said:

What is your order of operations for teaching high performance landings? What do you teach first? Then what? Then what?

I don't know, I'm just starting to learn it myself.

e: I'll add that I'm on a Katana.

Edited by nwt