4 4

Carl Daugherty. RIP

'Dad'....... I'm gonna miss you so often.....

You crazy mo' fo'.......  You were to me, like Spock was to Capt Kirk.......

So glad I so saw you recently, in all your happy-ass self...!!!!

But now, you are off with the Infinite Freefall Society.....

Ron, and Fang, Rocky, Rickerky...., and so many friends before you....., will welcome you.... SNARL....!  Love ya, EET Brother....

Up until now, this was such a nice day......

How I feel now......, (All the words I shouldn't print....)....

• Like 2

Losing Rocky and Carl in the same week really hurts.  Shortly after Rocky's hot air balloon accident in which Ken Coleman was killed, some skydivers were taking Rocky back to Florida and spent the night with me and my wife at our apartment in Atlanta.  Rocky had been badly burned and his skin was still very red.  We all went to some little pancake restaurant, and while we were there the owner, a sweet little old lady, came up and called him "Shiny" (he was because his skin was still growing back and he really was shiny) and said she would pray for him.  He was a great guy and I'll miss him.

And this wasn't Carl's first time at having a mid-air canopy collision.  In the late 70s, I was in ZHills at the Turkey Meet or Easter Boogie, I think, and Carl and another jumper collided under canopy while approaching the packing area from different directions.  I forget how high up they were but it wasn't all that high. Both canopies collapsed and both of them landed on the tin roof of the old packing shed that was there before the dz moved to its present location.  Both lay there for quite some time.  If I remember correctly (and this was 40+ years ago, so who knows?), one of them went to the hospital and one of them managed to get off the roof with minor injuries.  Several boards that supported the roof were broken in the collision and as far as I know were still broken when the packing shed was taken down some years later.  

• Like 1

On 5/21/2021 at 6:13 AM, Bonedaddy said:

Losing Rocky and Carl in the same week really hurts.  Shortly after Rocky's hot air balloon accident in which Ken Coleman was killed, some skydivers were taking Rocky back to Florida and spent the night with me and my wife at our apartment in Atlanta.  Rocky had been badly burned and his skin was still very red.  We all went to some little pancake restaurant, and while we were there the owner, a sweet little old lady, came up and called him "Shiny" (he was because his skin was still growing back and he really was shiny) and said she would pray for him.  He was a great guy and I'll miss him.

And this wasn't Carl's first time at having a mid-air canopy collision.  In the late 70s, I was in ZHills at the Turkey Meet or Easter Boogie, I think, and Carl and another jumper collided under canopy while approaching the packing area from different directions.  I forget how high up they were but it wasn't all that high. Both canopies collapsed and both of them landed on the tin roof of the old packing shed that was there before the dz moved to its present location.  Both lay there for quite some time.  If I remember correctly (and this was 40+ years ago, so who knows?), one of them went to the hospital and one of them managed to get off the roof with minor injuries.  Several boards that supported the roof were broken in the collision and as far as I know were still broken when the packing shed was taken down some years later.  

There were many watching that accident,(myself-Joe D) among hundreds. The skies were filled w/ DC-3’s, 1 on jump run, another on exit, a team in free fall and another landing. The other jumper was Charlie McGurr, aka Magoo. they both were pretty low under 500’ when they entangled, Carl aka Dogeater & Magoo spun in fast, no chance to untangle & were wrapped up pretty tight. Two very tough guys, (like Rocky E). They did exactly as you say, slammed into that old tin roof and that likely saved them both. I remember Carl was selling these really flimsy, lightweight hockey helmets for like $3, I bought one, jumped it for years till it fell apart. His sales pitch was “ it’l keep your hair in place”.. Magoo was a great person, had an artistic flair. He was a really good skydiver, a very talented FF photographer, ex Airborne & a skilled SCUBA diver. He perished from complications following a dive on the Andria Doria, early-mid 2000’s. Carl was a perennial figure in skydiving, always there, involved and being part of something. You knew you were in the company of a “jumper first” character. (Dammit) 

• Like 1

Several boards that supported the roof were broken in the collision and as far as I know were still broken when the packing shed was taken down some years later.  

I made some jumps at Z-hills was in 70's.  I remember seeing the dents and broken boards in the roof and hearing the story.

• Like 1

(edited)

When I was a young jumper, everyone was jealous of Carl cuz he was Roger’s right-hand man and accompanied him all over the world on skydiving adventures! I used to see Carl every August at Quincy...he always built a talented 10-way team for the speed star competition out of the Boeing 727 jet.  He was a great late diver on big ways... I have many fond memories of racing him to the formation, and usually losing      : )

Blue skies, Carl.  You will be missed.  Condolences to his family and all who loved him...

Edited by primetime

On 8/20/2021 at 12:52 PM, primetime said:

When I was a young jumper, everyone was jealous of Carl cuz he was Roger’s right-hand man and accompanied him all over the world on skydiving adventures!

I read the book. Are you sure those were skydiving adventures?

• Like 1