6 6
JerryBaumchen

Trump - The Forgotten Person

1 hour ago, wmw999 said:

My favorite quip of Trump was the one where he recently said "If they win, I should get all of the credit; if they lose, I should get none of the blame." Kind of the story of his life

Wendy P.

I heard that recent quote as well. IMO in part, its drives his criminal propensities. He cherishes his "Teflon" image where the sanctions of law don't stick to him.

Meanwhile for trump enterprises. For those in SC who think that trump is the forgotten person. "The Trump Organization will license its name for a planned golf course in Oman, renewing questions about the former president’s mixing of politics and business as he appears poised for another run."

A recent disclosure on the Washington trump Hotel revealed that three countries each paid over $300k each for hotel rooms. While they were negotiating deals with the US government. Yeah, real banana.

Edited by Phil1111

19 minutes ago, ryoder said:

Murdoch tells Trump he will not back fresh White House bid – report

Sounds like Murdoch will no longer support Trump, not because he attempted a coup, but because he failed at it.

"Trump Is the Republican Party’s Biggest Loser

He has now flopped in 2018, 2020, 2021 and 2022."

WSJ, 9th Nov. 2022

On 10/19/2022 at 6:46 PM, ryoder said:

In CO, independent voters are mailed two ballots in primaries (Rep, Dem); We can mail in either one, but not both. So in the last primary, I mailed in the GOP ballot, selecting the most sane of the candidates on the ballot.

On the other hand that goes against the controversial (but mostly successful) strategy of Democrats boosting the less sane Republican candidates, aniticipating that they would be easier to defeat.

Just now, likearock said:

On the other hand that goes against the controversial (but mostly successful) strategy of Democrats boosting the less sane Republican candidates, aniticipating that they would be easier to defeat.

Good. I hate that particular strategy

Wendy P. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, likearock said:

That operates on the assumption that people will make an intelligent decision.

In 2020, 74,223,975 voters chose 4 more years of a deranged moron as POTUS.

So I have very little faith in the electorate making logical decisions.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ryoder said:

I agree it was a risky move. But in this case, it was successful, and may very well make the difference between a single digit Republican advantage in the House or a double digit one.

As I sorta guessed, Trump-centric media has labeled mainstream republicans "the establishment."  Not exactly the "Deep State" I predicted but very close.

NewsMax headline: “Former President Donald Trump, eschewing establishment calls to hold off and endless Democrat efforts to stop him, officially declared his 2024 presidential campaign Tuesday night.”

4 hours ago, billvon said:

As I sorta guessed, Trump-centric media has labeled mainstream republicans "the establishment."  Not exactly the "Deep State" I predicted but very close.

NewsMax headline: “Former President Donald Trump, eschewing establishment calls to hold off and endless Democrat efforts to stop him, officially declared his 2024 presidential campaign Tuesday night.”

So the logical spin-off-thread will be titled: are Americasn dumb enough to vote for Trump in the 2024 presidential election (if he gets the nomination to run)..... 

9 hours ago, ryoder said:

I have a bet going that Trump will win the election. 

There are lots of stupid people out there and Murdoch and co. have far less sway in a digital world. In fact the more the main stream media vilify him the more his followers will circle the wagon.

2 hours ago, nigel99 said:

... Murdoch and co. have far less sway in a digital world. In fact the more the main stream media vilify him the more his followers will circle the wagon.

IMO Murdoch will see that the 30% of trump followers are a big FOX market.So he won't burn that bridge. That the remainder of GOP supporters like Brent, BIGUN, etc. have no leader with sufficient support to challenge trump. Yet.

People have to keep in mind that trump supporters currently control the party. Mitch McConnell is likely the strongest opponent but he knows his limitations. trump supporters control the nomination process for house and senate members. i.e. primaries. trump supporters are organized and have the religious evangelical base.

trump can generate cash faster than any other GOP leader. trump decimated the other GOP candidates in the last debates, public arenas, etc. Leading up to the nomination convention.

Until trump loses the nomination he needs to be taken seriously. If he loses he may form his own party and run as a independent. Regardless of legal losses for personal and corporate misconduct. He will play the victim, claim innocence and use the issue to raise funds.

In the end if he is taken seriously he will lose. Because he's been a loser since the day he was born.

3 hours ago, feuergnom said:

So the logical spin-off-thread will be titled: are Americasn dumb enough to vote for Trump in the 2024 presidential election (if he gets the nomination to run)..... 

Large numbers voted for Herschel W, MTG, Boebert, despite their being provably crazy.

24 minutes ago, Phil1111 said:

Until trump loses the nomination he needs to be taken seriously. If he loses he may form his own party and run as a independent.

And if Biden does run again, that might be the only way he wins. Not that he’s a bad president, he was mostly a place-filler in 2020, and too many people see him that way.

Wendy P. 

26 minutes ago, kallend said:

Large numbers voted for Herschel W, MTG, Boebert, despite their being provably crazy.

Bingo. So put in a stooge with a little more smarts. One that conceals MAGA inclinations and poses as a moderate republican. But has core MAGA values. Someone who can pander to the base using just enough dog whistles to keep the tribal base on the leash.

Its a mistake by democrats to see midterms as a big victory.

23 minutes ago, Phil1111 said:

...Its a mistake by democrats to see midterms as a big victory.

Not really. 

It was a huge victory.

The number of times the party of the sitting president didn't have large losses in the midterms is very small.

The 'mistake' would be thinking that this victory means there will automatically be future victories.

• Like 2

The democrats need to find who’s running for them, fast. Biden is a certain loss, I think.

I’m furious they haven’t been developing a candidate over the last 2 years and have been resting on their laurels. Harris has been a complete non-entity and unless they find someone who can compete with DeSantis and Trump in terms of personality and charisma they’re going to lose badly in 2024.

Edited by yoink

3 hours ago, wolfriverjoe said:

Not really. 

It was a huge victory.

The number of times the party of the sitting president didn't have large losses in the midterms is very small.

The 'mistake' would be thinking that this victory means there will automatically be future victories.

We will just have to agree to disagree. I'll lay down my three trump cards

This one.  From two years ago

This one from earlier this month.

Then third, Dems's lost the house.

All in the face of the USSC abortion ruling. Where were all the democrat voters who believe in a woman's right to choose? The decrease in MAGA support from Jan. 6h, the charges against trump and trump Enterprises.

Here I absolutely agree "The 'mistake' would be thinking that this midterm standoff means there will automatically be future victories.".

Unfortunately the editorials in the conservative National Review are beyond the reading level of members of Trump's base"

"A lesson of the midterms was that association with Trump and “stop the steal” were liabilities, and no one is more associated with both of those things than Donald Trump himself. Democrats helped choose MAGA candidates that were eminently defeatable in GOP primaries this year, and nominating Trump — whom Democrats are pining to run against again — in 2024 would replicate this experience on a much larger scale.

"Needless to say, Trump is a magnetic political figure who has managed to bond countless millions of Republicans to him. Many GOP voters appreciate his combativeness and hate his enemies, who so often engaged in excesses in pursuit of him. Once he won the nomination in 2016, they understandably voted for him in 2016 and 2020, given the alternatives. But the primaries won’t present a choice between Trump and progressives with calamitous priorities for the nation, but other Republicans who aren’t, in contrast to him, monumentally selfish or morally and electorally compromised. (And it should be added, won’t be 78 years old if elected and ineligible to serve two terms.)

"It’s too early to know what the rest of the field will look like, except it will offer much better alternatives than Trump.

"The answer to Trump’s invitation to remain personally and politically beholden to him and his cracked obsessions for at least another two years, with all the chaos that entails and the very real possibility of another highly consequential defeat, should be a firm, unmistakable, No."

• Like 1

It’s sad.

A political party won’t condemn a man that violated his oath to the Constitution by not protecting America from enemies both foreign and domestic.

Out of all the things he has done, what he didn’t do was the worst. Doing nothing as the Capitol is ransacked and lawmakers on true peril.

Its so unreal.

America is broken.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, grimmie said:

It’s sad.

A political party won’t condemn a man that violated his oath to the Constitution by not protecting America from enemies both foreign and domestic.

Out of all the things he has done, what he didn’t do was the worst. Doing nothing as the Capitol is ransacked and lawmakers on true peril.

Its so unreal.

America is broken.

You’re right that the party won’t condemn him. Worse is that republicans who identify as intellectuals won’t, for the good of the nation if not intellectual honesty, openly disassociate with the Republican party. Yes, I’m looking at some posters here.