6 6
JerryBaumchen

Trump - The Forgotten Person

Though skimming this article seems to reference leaks specifically, I agree in general with The Donald here.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/09/03/politics/trump-jail-sentences-mishandled-classified-information-kfile/index.html

He should be comfortable in returning to Government accommodations; in this case the Big House rather than the White House, but it's all good.

I think the trick is to remove him from the equation ignominiously so that there is no hint of martyrdom.  He remains the turd in the soup that is U.S. politics, and neither side of the aisle is immune to his poison.

BSBD,

Winsor

9 minutes ago, winsor said:

no hint of martyrdom.

While I am in general agreement with you (for once!) I'm not sure there's a way you can do this that his supporters won't view in a martyrdom light. They seem to be remarkably immune to any sort of logic, reason - pretty much even a room temperature IQ of any sort.

Hi folks,

Looks like his former V-P also wants him forgotten:  Pence, who is seen as laying the groundwork for a potential 2024 presidential bid

Pence takes several veiled swipes at Trump while warning against ‘siren song of unprincipled populism’ | The Hill

Today's GOP:  They eat their own.

Jerry Baumchen

Good. Because Pence can take some votes from people who voted for Trump for Trumpian reasons, but who really aren't down with insurrection. And he's way better than Trump, because he does, in fact, respect the system.

I disagree with him pretty much down the line, but I can stomach him long before I can stomach Trump. Or DeSantis, for that matter. I get the impression that the job is more important than the power to Pence; it's the other way for Trump and DeSantis

Wendy P.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, wmw999 said:

Good. Because Pence can take some votes from people who voted for Trump for Trumpian reasons, but who really aren't down with insurrection. And he's way better than Trump, because he does, in fact, respect the system.

I disagree with him pretty much down the line, but I can stomach him long before I can stomach Trump. Or DeSantis, for that matter. I get the impression that the job is more important than the power to Pence; it's the other way for Trump and DeSantis

Wendy P.

Hi Wendy,

Like you [ I think ], while I disagree with Pence on many issues, he seems to me to be a person who is ethical.  Possibly due to his being so religious; and, I do not hold that against him. *

Jerry Baumchen

* Does not mean that I would ever vote for him.

1 hour ago, wmw999 said:

I'd seriously consider re-registering as a Republican in order to vote for him over Trump in a primary.

Wendy P.

In CO, independent voters are mailed two ballots in primaries (Rep, Dem); We can mail in either one, but not both. So in the last primary, I mailed in the GOP ballot, selecting the most sane of the candidates on the ballot.

26 minutes ago, ryoder said:

In CO, independent voters are mailed two ballots in primaries (Rep, Dem); We can mail in either one, but not both. So in the last primary, I mailed in the GOP ballot, selecting the most sane of the candidates on the ballot.

Hi Robert,

So, you are saying that there are some sane members of the GOP?

Just wondering,

Jerry Baumchen

PS)  I think that ranked voting is the way to go.  The hell with political parties.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wmw999 said:

I'd seriously consider re-registering as a Republican in order to vote for him over Trump in a primary.

Wendy P.

I joined the local Conservative Party just so I could be among the few who got a vote for leader. The new leader instantly became the head of the provincial government with no need for a general election under our parliamentary system. Much the same way Truss became PM over in the new loopyland. If you want a say in who your leaders will be you need to participate.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ryoder said:

Wisconsin has a somewhat similar process, where unaffiliated voters can vote for either party during the primary. But the votes can only go to one party. For example, if I voted for one of the R candidates for governor, I couldn't vote for any Ds. 
So, similar to you, I voted for the least evil Rs in the primary. 

3 hours ago, ryoder said:

Texas has open primaries and there's no party registration, so I pretty much always voted in the Republican primary. Massachusetts does have parties, and you register and vote in that party's primary. Since most candidates in our area are Democrats, it's the party that made more sense to register for. Independent is also an option, but I'm not sure how that works for primaries.

Wendy P.

15 hours ago, wmw999 said:

Texas has open primaries and there's no party registration, so I pretty much always voted in the Republican primary. Massachusetts does have parties, and you register and vote in that party's primary. Since most candidates in our area are Democrats, it's the party that made more sense to register for. Independent is also an option, but I'm not sure how that works for primaries.

Wendy P.

Hi Wendy,

Here in Oregon it means that in the primary, you do not get to vote for any partisan candidates.

Jerry Baumchen

For his next next reality TV show, Trump is now threatening to sue the Pulitzer organization for giving Pulitzers to people he dislikes.  And it will happen when all Trump events occur - in "two weeks."

I have this image of his few remaining lawyers standing around the coffee machine, saying "OK so what can we do that makes it look like we're working on this while we find someone he will listen to in order to stop him?"

(edited)
3 hours ago, billvon said:

For his next next reality TV show, Trump is now threatening to sue the Pulitzer organization for giving Pulitzers to people he dislikes.  And it will happen when all Trump events occur - in "two weeks."

I have this image of his few remaining lawyers standing around the coffee machine, saying "OK so what can we do that makes it look like we're working on this while we find someone he will listen to in order to stop him?"

Hi Bill,

My advice to them:  Forget it, never going to happen.

Jerry Baumchen

Edited by JerryBaumchen

Hi folks,

Here is more info on why I think this country should never let Trump be back in office again:   how political DHS officials spied on Oregonians for exercising their First Amendment right

Federal dossiers on arrested Portland protesters named their friends, family, reviews disclose - oregonlive.com

Jerry Baumchen

3 hours ago, JerryBaumchen said:

Hi folks,

Here is more info on why I think this country should never let Trump be back in office again:   how political DHS officials spied on Oregonians for exercising their First Amendment right

Federal dossiers on arrested Portland protesters named their friends, family, reviews disclose - oregonlive.com

Jerry Baumchen

Rather like the FBI under J. Edgar.

On 10/25/2022 at 10:43 AM, GeorgiaDon said:

I suspect that if it ever got to the point where Trump was not on the front page of all the major news outlets he really would shoot someone on 5th avenue just to get back in the headlines. 

Man, at this point I'd just like a single day with out Empty Head Greene on the pages.

• Like 2

Hi folks,

On the surface, it would look like this idiot has not forgotten Trump:  Where is Nancy?’: Pelosi home invader was searching for speaker - POLITICO

And, of course this other idiot is causing even more problems:  ‘Raise the challenge’: Eastman exhorts poll watchers to build a record - POLITICO

If they do not find any errors, will they just make some up?

IMO the short-term future for this country is not looking so good.

Jerry Baumchen

trump will announce his candidacy for president tomorrow. He needs to stay relevant. Needs attention like a baby needs milk. He likes the idea of power. Especially power that could afford him the opportunity to punish his enemies.

He blames the republican party for costing a potential midterm advantage. He has big grudges for perceived lack of loyalty in the past. New grievances that need publicizing and address. He has a hard core base of 30% GOP supporters that are ready to fill his pockets with cash. Even more he loves the adulation that his rallies bring him.

Even more he can play the victim. Blame disloyal republicans, crooked democrats and insiders for sealing elections from the righteous victors.

7 minutes ago, Phil1111 said:

trump will announce his candidacy for president tomorrow. He needs to stay relevant. Needs attention like a baby needs milk. He likes the idea of power. Especially power that could afford him the opportunity to punish his enemies.

For a narcissist, power is an addictive drug.

8 hours ago, Phil1111 said:

Even more he can play the victim. Blame disloyal republicans, crooked democrats and insiders for sealing elections from the righteous victors.

My favorite quip of Trump was the one where he recently said "If they win, I should get all of the credit; if they lose, I should get none of the blame." Kind of the story of his life

Wendy P.

• Like 1