1 1
JoeWeber

Incentives to vax

1 hour ago, billvon said:

Yes, it is likely far more than that.  Consider the COVID deaths a bare minimum, since early on when we did not have COVID test kits available people would come in to small hospitals with what looked like pneumonia, be diagnosed with pneumonia, and die.  Those were not counted as COVID-19 deaths.

Is having to wear pants a violation of freedom?

Is having to take a taxi when you are drunk a violation of freedom?

Is a "don't poop on the sidewalk" law a violation of freedom?

If so, you don't understand the whole "living in a civilization" thing.

Ah, I see what the problem is.  You are a victim of right wing media.  Fauci never said that.  He did say early on that it looked like there was no reason for people to wear masks, because traditionally coronaviruses travel more by contact than by aerosol.  As we learned more about the virus that advice changed.

He never said "masks are useless" and you would not have heard that unless you listen to right wing propaganda.

Hi Bill,

Re:  you would not have heard that unless you listen to right wing propaganda.

I do think that you are at the crux of it.

Jerry Baumchen

PS)   "The last refuge of a scoundrel”; Samuel Johnson

To John Kallend:  Thanks, I'd forgotten who said that.

6 hours ago, wolfriverjoe said:

The same goes for masks.....

As far as the vaccine goes, there have been hundreds of millions of doses administered....
Yet the fools and morons keep coming up with excuses why people shouldn't get vaccinated.

Now sitting at over 1.5 Billion with 700 million in China and 300 million in India.

1 hour ago, Phil1111 said:

Now sitting at over 1.5 Billion with 700 million in China and 300 million in India.

Thanks.

I didn't know how many had been administered in those countries.

So the death rate from the vaccine is even closer to zero (no clue how many have had serious side effects in those places).

1 hour ago, JerryBaumchen said:

Hi folks,

Want to go to college in Oregon?  Get vax'd:  All of Oregon’s public universities to require COVID-19 vaccinations or exemptions - OPB

You can get on the train, or you can get left at the station.

Jerry Baumchen

So silly. Here is another well known university. "Americans Should Avoid Getting The COVID-19 Vaccine"

55 minutes ago, gowlerk said:

Have you ever noticed that every anti-vaxxer starts off by saying "I'm not an anti-vaxxer, but.....".  And then goes on to make all the same old anti-vaxxer points?

In general, you can ignore anything before the "but."  (True of most statements like that, not just anti-vax.)

4 hours ago, Phil1111 said:

So silly. Here is another well known university. "Americans Should Avoid Getting The COVID-19 Vaccine"

Why am I not surprised that  the mortality rate calculated in the article is 100x lower than the correct answer.  When someone noted that error, many others erroneously said that that person was wrong.  This is 3rd grade arithmetic, at least when I went to school.  Maybe they need a calculator like my college girlfriend had -- with a "%" button that shifts the decimal point two places.

On 6/2/2021 at 9:29 PM, Cocowheats said:

Then let's compare your own numbers...

The 2020 USA census says there were 331,449,281 recorded people in the USA. 1:50 is 2% of that population. You say vaccine complications are 1:6,800,000. 1:6,800,000 of that census population number is 2.05%. So your own numbers show that death from covid or complications from a vaccine are PAINFULLY close in percentage.

That's not how maths works.

6,800,000 in 331,449,281 is 2.05%, but that's not the ratio. It's just a random number you've invented by smooshing two other unconnected numbers together. The ratio is 1 in 6,800,000. 1 in 6,800,000 is 0.00000015%

In other words, 1 in every 550 people in the USA have died of Covid. If 1 in every 6,800,000 people in the US died of the vaccine and every single person in the US was vaccinated then 50 people in total would die.

So tell me again how close those percentages are?

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, gowlerk said:

It is sad to watch the effects of the US education system sometimes.

No its sad how FOX has so benumbed common sense. That when a simple miscalculation is made its not instantly obvious that the calculation must be in error. That you reexamine the calculations until it makes sense.

That the rationale of FOX and the conservative right can so corrupt science. Scientists all over the world are the most trusted profession. Politicians the least. Yet for the US right, for trumpists, b.s. is lapped up like bourbon at a GOP convention.

2 minutes ago, Phil1111 said:

No its sad how FOX has so benumbed common sense. That when a simple miscalculation is made its not instantly obvious that the calculation must be in error. That you reexamine the calculations until it makes sense.

That the rationale of FOX and the conservative right can so corrupt science. Scientists all over the world are the most trusted profession. Politicians the least. Yet for the US right, for trumpists, b.s. is lapped up like bourbon at a GOP convention.

It often seems that for many of my fellow Americans, because of their religious beliefs, school must have been about memorizing fictional characters and stories. Sort of it's like the second week of algebra when you're sitting there thinking that all you need to do is get your grade and you'll never again need to factor in anything hard to understand.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Phil1111 said:

The manipulators on the US right  rely on and encourage the innumeracy of the "base",

(edited)

these people need to sack the fuck up. getting a shot is literately no big deal. Do you know how many times I have drawn my own blood with one hand? like more than 30. I have given myself an arterial blood gas measurement before. Literately stabbed my artery with one hand and drew arterial blood. i guess being around people all day who have nasty diseases that can be debilitating, I see first hand that getting stuck with a needle is a wet dream compared  to what some people have to deal with on a daily basis. most people have absolutely no idea what real pain actually feels like.

Edited by Westerly

9 hours ago, Westerly said:

these people need to sack the fuck up. getting a shot is literately no big deal. Do you know how many times I have drawn my own blood with one hand? like more than 30. I have given myself an arterial blood gas measurement before. Literately stabbed my artery with one hand and drew arterial blood. i guess being around people all day who have nasty diseases that can be debilitating, I see first hand that getting stuck with a needle is a wet dream compared  to what some people have to deal with on a daily basis. most people have absolutely no idea what real pain actually feels like.

Hi Westerly,

Re:  i guess being around people all day who have nasty diseases that can be debilitating

Absolutely!  I spent my four yrs in the Air Force working in military hospitals.  It does give one perspective.  Just having good health is as good as it can get IMO.

Jerry Baumchen

Seems like a good reason to vaccinate.  Horse dewormer hasn't shown such benefits.

https://www.news-medical.net/news/20230220/COVID-19-vaccination-associated-with-fewer-heart-attacks-strokes-and-other-cardiovascular-issues.aspx

Analyzing the most extensive datasets in the United States, researchers from the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai have revealed that vaccination against COVID-19 is associated with fewer heart attacks, strokes, and other cardiovascular issues among people who were infected with SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19.

etc.

1 hour ago, kallend said:

Analyzing the most extensive datasets in the United States,

Thank you for the information. I was having a conversation the other day with a fellow veteran "at risk" who refuses to get the vaccine. I've been trying to educate him and he responded the other day with, "How come you see all these people falling over dead." My response was, "We've always had that many people falling over dead. What we haven't had is camera phones in everyone's hands filming it." 

I did more research on the paper itself and the dataset was as a strong in preventing bias as I've seen in quite awhile (A triple blind dataset).

The original paper can be found here for $35.00:

https://www.jacc.org/doi/epdf/10.1016/j.jacc.2022.12.006 

Impact of Vaccination on Major Adverse Cardiovascular Events in Patients With COVID-19 Infection

• Like 3