1 1
JoeWeber

Incentives to vax

6 hours ago, wmw999 said:

This is a case for "suck it up, cupcake."

My brother can't deal well with having blood taken; even as an adult, he nearly passes out. Shots are only marginally better. But he went right down and took the shot as soon as he was eligible.

Wendy P.

Hi Wendy,

I am somewhat like that.  I am quite OK with having blood taken & getting shots, but I just cannot watch the needle going in.  Even now, when the news shows someone getting a vax, I turn away.

Jerry Baumchen

PS)  Guess it is a good thing I never tried to become a surgeon.

6 hours ago, wmw999 said:

This is a case for "suck it up, cupcake."

My brother can't deal well with having blood taken; even as an adult, he nearly passes out. Shots are only marginally better. But he went right down and took the shot as soon as he was eligible.

Wendy P.

Recently I had a nurse do something similar to a blood draw that was absolutely pain free. There's a tricky thing where they put a tiny bit of air in the skin before the real needle. She said she thought bit pushed the nerves aside but who knows. It sure worked, though.

1 hour ago, JerryBaumchen said:

Hi Wendy,

I am somewhat like that.  I am quite OK with having blood taken & getting shots, but I just cannot watch the needle going in.  Even now, when the news shows someone getting a vax, I turn away.

Jerry Baumchen

PS)  Guess it is a good thing I never tried to become a surgeon.

I am in this same camp. Hate needles, but was very happy to get my shot.

New York State offers lottery for 12 to 17 year olds to get vaccinated

GET A SHOT TO MAKE YOUR FUTURE

Win a Full-Ride Scholarship

The "Get a Shot to Make Your Future" vaccine incentive is a public outreach campaign consisting of a series of statewide drawings to increase awareness of the availability and efficacy of COVID-19 vaccines and provide incentives to New Yorkers 12-17 years of age to get a COVID-19 vaccination.

Parents or guardians of any New Yorker, ages 12 to 17, can enter their child who has received at least their first COVID-19 vaccine dose (at any time), for a chance to win one of 50, four-year full-ride scholarships (includes tuition, room and board, books and supplies) to any New York State public college or university.

13 hours ago, BIGUN said:

For some reason, my mind simply does not understand the need to incentivize someone to protect their fellow man.

I recall a recent online discussion that ended with "I don't know how to explain why you should care about other people."

• Like 1

15 hours ago, airdvr said:

I think one of the possibilities of problems with anti-vaxxers might be their fear of injection.  I've known several adults who, when approached with a needle turn into 3 year olds.

I don't like needles, but then again I don't know anyone who does, and so far I've donated 9.5 gallons of blood.   I always freak out the phlebotomists a bit because I jump so much when the needle goes in.

Last time I donated I was talking to the phlebotomist and asked her if she'd been vaccinated.  "No, not yet" she said.  "I figured you guys would be first in line!" I said.  "I mean, you're front line healthcare workers."  "Yeah, but I have this fear of needles" she said.  (At that point she had the needle in her hand.)  "I know, I know," she said.  "It doesn't make any sense.  But I just have an issue."

39 minutes ago, billvon said:

I don't like needles, but then again I don't know anyone who does, and so far I've donated 9.5 gallons of blood.   I always freak out the phlebotomists a bit because I jump so much when the needle goes in.

I don't mind needles at all, but spiders - I hate spiders.

• Like 1

Imagine the feeling when the wind gets knocked out of you. You gasp for breath but nothing happens. Now think about that hour after hour. Imagine being in bed week after week dependent upon everyone. Tubes in and out of every orifice.

Imagine the feeling of knowing you infected another vulnerable person. Now they are in the aforementioned sick state.

Needle....pfft.

On 5/29/2021 at 3:14 AM, airdvr said:

Rox says injections sting because many nurses and MAs put too much alcohol on prior.

That's the similar logic that says anti-perspirants cause lymphatic cancer.  Or for the vet tech who refused to use lidocaine on my cat's skin five minutes before doing a fluid infusion for fear some of the cream would get under his skin once the needle was inserted.  

Some injections sting because the vaccine being injected is not compatible with raw muscle tissue.  Just like other injections hurt because the viscosity is very high and their injection increases the pressure in the tissue (gamma globulin, anyone?).

The alcohol dries before the needle is inserted.  That trace amount that might get pushed in by a 25- or 23-gauge needle is insignificant and won't cause a stinging sensation.

[/end rant] (sorry, those kinds of myths get under my skin.  All pun intended)

• Like 3

On 5/28/2021 at 9:13 PM, Phil1111 said:

...Imagine the feeling of knowing you infected another vulnerable person. Now they are in the aforementioned sick state.

They don't think it will happen to them.
They don't care about other people.

This attitude isn't exclusive to the pandmic.

• Like 1

(edited)

This does not reflect my personal stance on vaccines. I am not against them.

That said, I don't see why anyone would fault someone for not wanting to take a non-FDA approved vaccine. As far as I know(I may be wrong), none of the current vaccines have a USA FDA approval. They have only been approved for a crisis/pandemic emergency usage, which could be revoked.

Vaccine complications are real. Many people have been permanently messed up from bad reactions to a common vaccine. Without a FDA approval and a few years of statistics on complications and/or efficiency, I could see why some would rather wait. Key word here is wait...plenty of people will take it down the road when more information is available. Remember, cocaine and tobacco weren't unhealthy for you at one point in time. I mean lots of science said so....many years later we know that's not true. So again, faulting people for not wanting to be the guinea pig is just pitiful. We need guinea pigs, but it should be your choice to be one.

Furthermore, the risk for many people of dying from covid are about as low as having a vaccine complication. So why trade one risk for another?

Frankly, as a seemingly healthy adult, I am at more risk of dying from chicken pox than I am from covid. I do not need a chicken pox vaccine to travel on a plane though.

Then there are the arguments that if you are vaccinated, then why are you worried if someone else is? If your mask works at protecting you, then why worry what others do?

With all the miss-information that has been spread not only by social media, WHO, and many governments, I can definitely understand why some people would not want to get right in line for a covid vaccine.

If you're worried about covid, get a vaccine and follow protocols. Worry about you and yours and let others make their own decisions on what's right for them. Remember, it's not always because "I don't believe in vaccines".

Edited by Cocowheats

(edited)
17 minutes ago, ryoder said:

Risk of dying from COVID-19: 1 in 50

Risk of side effects from COVID-19 vaccine: 1 in 6,800,000

Show me the proof in those statistics.

By those numbers, I should have at least 2 people in my phone contacts dead from covid. I know of no deaths though.

I know medical professionals who have been pressured to write off anyone who dies with a positive covid test as a covid death, regardless of the actual cause(like internal bleeding from a car accident). I bet the 1:50 is a pretty damn skewed number.

Edited by Cocowheats

6 minutes ago, Cocowheats said:

I know medical professionals who have been pressured to write off anyone who dies with a positive covid test as a covid death, regardless of the actual cause(like internal bleeding from a car accident).

You ask for "proof" and then follow it up with this nugget of gold....Did you also know that people have died because they were not able to get treatement, or were too scared to ask for treatment due to COVID's impact on the healthcare system.

(edited)
8 minutes ago, SkyDekker said:

You ask for "proof" and then follow it up with this nugget of gold....Did you also know that people have died because they were not able to get treatement, or were too scared to ask for treatment due to COVID's impact on the healthcare system.

Then let's compare your own numbers...

The 2020 USA census says there were 331,449,281 recorded people in the USA. 1:50 is 2% of that population. You say vaccine complications are 1:6,800,000. 1:6,800,000 of that census population number is 2.05%. So your own numbers show that death from covid or complications from a vaccine are PAINFULLY close in percentage.

My point is that there is much misinformation and no FDA approved vaccines (that I know of). So to go online and bash people for being selfish idiots for not wanting to be a guinea pig is just pitiful. I just want to shed light on to why someone may reasonably decide to wait since many people can't fathom the why and instantly lump these people with anti-vaxxers.

Edited by Cocowheats

2 minutes ago, Cocowheats said:

Then let's compare your own numbers...

The 2020 USA census says there were 331,449,281 recorded people in the USA. 1:50 is 2% of that population. You say vaccine complications are 1:6,800,000. 1:6,800,000 of that census population number is 2.05%. So your own numbers show that death from covid or complications from a vaccine are PAINFULLY close in percentage.

They weren't my numbers.

And the ratios are not likely to mean against all Americans, but all those in the group.

5 minutes ago, ryoder said:

Risk of dying from COVID-19: 1 in 50

Risk of side effects from COVID-19 vaccine: 1 in 6,800,000

For anyone that has risk factors for the vaccine the stats are much more scary. It now seems that some of those that were willing to be experimented on are also willing to shame those that haven't taken the risk. Not good.

The US risk of dying from COVID, if one gets COVID, is 1.79%, or 1 in 56. Of course that includes those with high risk factors like old age, diabetes, morbidly obese, heart conditions, breathing issues, Gov Cuomo victims, etc. The death total also includes many that were assigned a COVID label when they weren't COVID. If it was possible to weed out those factors the risk would be much lower.
United States COVID: 34,143,965 Cases and 610,825 Deaths - Worldometer (worldometers.info)

The 2019 US population was 328 million. That means that approximately 10% of the population has been diagnosed with COVID. And that number, unfortunately, includes the folks that were incorrectly diagnosed with COVID due to misuse of the test. I also wonder how many of those are now refusing to get the vaccine because they believe that they are "safe" since they had COVID.

So, 1 in 10 (or less) chance of getting COVID, and 1 in 50 (or less) chance of dying. And an unknown risk from the vaccine if one has risk factors. 

But there are also anti-vaxers that have the right to not take it. Most would say that that group is a little nutty but it is still their choice.

8 minutes ago, Cocowheats said:

Do you really see having a sore arm after getting a vaccine as being similar to death?

29 minutes ago, Cocowheats said:

By those numbers, I should have at least 2 people in my phone contacts dead from covid. I know of no deaths though.

I take it you did not know Art Bori, then.  (Old time Northwest skydiver.)  He died of COVID-19 last year.

16 minutes ago, SkyDekker said:

They weren't my numbers.

And the ratios are not likely to mean against all Americans, but all those in the group.

Worldwide the date is here.

As of June 1, 2021, 1 in 48 confirmed cases of COVID dies.

This link also shows that Excess Mortality in the US was significantly higher in 2020 and early 2021. Frequently in 2020, 10,000 to 20,000 more people died per week than the 2015 - 2019 average.

You can argue about whether somebody who passed out from COVID exhaustion and getting into a car wreck died from COVID or from injuries sustained in a motor vehicle accident, but you cannot argue many more Americans died during COVID than during the previous 5 year average.

(edited)
29 minutes ago, billvon said:

Do you really see having a sore arm after getting a vaccine as being similar to death?

LMAO.

We are talking things like nervous system disorders and other life altering or even ending complications, like GBS.

GBS is a known risk for a few vaccines including rabies and inactivated influenza vaccines. GBS will eventually cause you to be paralyzed.

Eh, but who cares, only so many people end up paralyzed, right?

So what if GBS runs in my genes? Should I just roll the dice because "omg, humanity!"???

Again, this shaming people into to getting vaccinated is absolutely despicable! Many people have a valid reason not too....and if not, well it's THEIR choice, not YOURS!

Edited by Cocowheats

(edited)
30 minutes ago, billvon said:

I take it you did not know Art Bori, then.  (Old time Northwest skydiver.)  He died of COVID-19 last year.

I did not. Blue skies Art.

I'm not refuting that some people can/will die from covid. Some people do. Some people also die from the flu, rabies, killer bees, car crashes, and even *gasp* skydiving *gasp*.

Life is filled with risks. Some we have a choice in taking, others we don't.

Edited by Cocowheats

10 minutes ago, Cocowheats said:

LMAO.

We are talking things like nervous system disorders and other life altering or even ending complications, like GBS.

In Canada serious adverse side effects have been reported in 0.006% of doses administered. (0.024% non-serious adverse side effects)

3 minutes ago, Cocowheats said:

I did not. Blue skies Art.

I'm not refuting that some people can/will die from covid. Some people do. Some people also die from the flu, rabies, car crashes, and *gasp* skydiving *gasp*.

Except last year all off a sudden 10,000 to 20,000 more Americans started dying each and every week.

Ever wonder how that happened? Do you think that is a trend that should have been allowed to continue?