1 1
RonD1120

Pandemic Increase and No Fuel

31 minutes ago, JoeWeber said:

Have you sorted out how many were likely Trump voters based on locations?

Inability to understand the consequences of stupid actions?

I'm betting there is a huge overlap between those sets!

Perhaps Ron and Brent have a point about SHTF type stuff. Here was a short term blockage of one pipeline and look at what happened.

Imagine all the pipelines shut down. Then all the toilet paper mills shut down. It would be anarchy in a day.

50 minutes ago, sfzombie13 said:

idiot burns down his car while smoking with a horde of gas in containers...florida man strikes again.

Not seeing a cause. 

Gotta love the last line.

There weren't going to be any shortages there because they don't get their gas from that pipeline.
People are absolute fucking idiots. 

I can actually believe paying to decrypt the files, double checking to make sure you’ve got any critical data and then restoring from known good backups.

Because a criminal hacking organization would 100% be on the level about giving you back access.

9 hours ago, ryoder said:

You've got to remember that these are just simple farmers. These are people of the land. The common clay of the new West. You know... morons.

Hi Robert,

You've got to remember that these are just simple farmers. These are people of the land. The common clay of the new West. You know... morons. => 74 million who voted for Trump

Jerry Baumchen

On 5/12/2021 at 7:21 PM, sfzombie13 said:

said that they were entrenched firmly into the dc's and that by the time they knew about them, they had already established persistence and the backups would be tainted and bring them back in.  normal when the attackers have been inside the network for a while undetected.  these guys have been at it for a while.

found this article on it.

and just read an article that said the pipeline is starting back up now, so all the panic buyers can stay away from the gas station for a few days.

Our company was hit with ransomware and yes backups were nearly useless. We were able to get some files of information out to help production but could no way get the system back up and running. We were lucky that we were planing a new system all ready. We replaced the whole system with the one they were developing about a year early and strugled.

18 hours ago, BartsDaddy said:

Our company was hit with ransomware and yes backups were nearly useless. We were able to get some files of information out to help production but could no way get the system back up and running. We were lucky that we were planing a new system all ready. We replaced the whole system with the one they were developing about a year early and strugled.

If your backups were useless, that is likely not the fault of the ransomware, but the fault of the backup system and design. That is why I was curious why backups were useless in the case of the pipeline ransomware attack.

As it turns out, their backups weren't useless and they ended up bringing the systems back online from the backups. They paid the ransom, but restoring from backup turned out to be faster than decrypting using the ransom decryption keys.

A properly designed, modern, up-to-date backup system can recover from a ransomware attack in an incredibly short timeframe and be back up and running fast. 

12 minutes ago, okalb said:

If your backups were useless, that is likely not the fault of the ransomware, but the fault of the backup system and design. That is why I was curious why backups were useless in the case of the pipeline ransomware attack.

As it turns out, their backups weren't useless and they ended up bringing the systems back online from the backups. They paid the ransom, but restoring from backup turned out to be faster than decrypting using the ransom decryption keys.

A properly designed, modern, up-to-date backup system can recover from a ransomware attack in an incredibly short timeframe and be back up and running fast. 

That's all fine and good but when are we going to start sending our special op's folks over to cut the finger tips off of theses assholes?

12 minutes ago, okalb said:

the reason i was told they were most likely useless in this situation in the first place was how deep they were embedded in the systems.  nobody knows as of now, and it looks like it was from the solarwinds breach.  that means the backups, while great for bringing the system back online, most likely still had the backdoor access that allowed the breach in the first place.  my misunderstanding of what she said, and may still prove to be a problem sometime in the future.  i've worked on several pipelines and at least one of them had indicators of someone in the system that i saw and reported.  another had multiple security flaws that went unfixed even now, almost five years after i reported them.

2 minutes ago, JoeWeber said:

That's all fine and good but when are we going to start sending our special op's folks over to cut the finger tips off of theses assholes?

that is the absolute worst thing that could be done in this, or any other, case.

7 minutes ago, JoeWeber said:

President Putin doesn't need his fingertips to press the button.

5 minutes ago, wmw999 said:

And, if there is anything either legally or softwarily a problem, what'll it do to the accumulated cryptocurrency out there?

Wendy P.

I would assume they just transferred it to a govt-owned account, so it would have no effect on anyone but the crooks who lost it.

1 hour ago, ryoder said:

I would assume they just transferred it to a govt-owned account, so it would have no effect on anyone but the crooks who lost it.

If they can do that it means one of the key advantages of crypto has been lost. If that is so its value will take a big hit.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, gowlerk said:

If they can do that it means one of the key advantages of crypto has been lost. If that is so its value will take a big hit.

The history of crypto is littered with stories of fraud and crypto-exchanges disappearing and leaving the suck....errr...customers with nothing. 

Just now, ryoder said:

The history of crypto is littered with stories of fraud and crypto-exchanges disappearing and leaving the suck....errr...customers with nothing. 

Yes, there is an unknown amount of Bitcoin, and I suppose others that may as well be in a hole in the bottom of the sea because the keys are irrecoverably lost. But that is a different matter from having the FBI able to track the transactions.

4 minutes ago, gowlerk said:

Yes, there is an unknown amount of Bitcoin, and I suppose others that may as well be in a hole in the bottom of the sea because the keys are irrecoverably lost. But that is a different matter from having the FBI able to track the transactions.

You know it is a public ledger, right? Once you can connect someone's identity with their crypto address, it's all there for anyone to look at.

Example for BTC address 1BrasiLb2KMbdtuhb1chAVnS2FvcNGfV9J:

https://www.blockchain.com/btc/address/1BrasiLb2KMbdtuhb1chAVnS2FvcNGfV9J

Actually, it is vitally important that governments get a handle on and stop the anonymity of crypto. The difficulty of collecting ransoms is the main reason kidnapping is no longer common is first world countries. If Russian or any other criminals can get away with these payments, so can others and we will soon be seeing the children of rich people needing heavy security.

3 minutes ago, ryoder said:

You know it is a public ledger, right? Once you can connect someone's identity with their crypto address, it's all there for anyone to look at.

Example for BTC address 1BrasiLb2KMbdtuhb1chAVnS2FvcNGfV9J:

https://www.blockchain.com/btc/address/1BrasiLb2KMbdtuhb1chAVnS2FvcNGfV9J

No, my knowledge is incomplete. Are you saying that each and every transaction can be followed if the starting point is known? Is each coin numbered individually?