1 1
RonD1120

Pandemic Increase and No Fuel

3 hours ago, Phil1111 said:

Colonial pipeline is restarting. "Colonial Pipeline initiated the restart of pipeline operations today at approximately 5 p.m. ET," the company said in a statement on its website. "Following this restart, it will take several days for the product delivery supply chain to return to normal."

As far as variants of the covid are concerned. To date the Pfizer and Moderna have shown full efficacy against all the variants. They also have new versions in the pipeline(pardon pun) with the target parts of the virus which have never mutated.

So zombie mutations are out. Gas will be flowing again. Perhaps your prayers worked Ron?

Aw. No SHTF until the next blip.

3 hours ago, ryoder said:

Every time I think I have reached an understanding of just how stupid people can be, I find I'm still overestimating them:

https://www.buzzfeed.com/daves4/gas-shortage-pictures

I saw a video of a woman filling PLASTIC BAGS with it and putting it in her trunk. 

To be fair, she did double bag, so that's totally cool.

1 minute ago, yoink said:

Aw. No SHTF until the next blip.

Sorry but the shit really is hitting the fan, just not the one blowing cool air in your direction. Step back for a minute and survey the political landscape in America. Elsewhere, too, but not right now. Trump isn't gone. We are far from done with him or Trumpism. Liz Cheney is gone, good riddance, for defying the former president. But so what, really, thats a time blip. Fast forward 50 years, if you will, when the US population will be 500 Million. Do you really think that we will have added 175 million smarter people who are all voting and acting in their true best self interests? I don't, that's for sure. The more I look around the more I think our experiment in rule by the people is time dated. It seems to be that, like in ancient civilizations that lasted thousands of years, the only way to control the masses is by autocracy and the concentration of wealth in the hands of their princes. That must be why autocracy is on the rise world wide. At a certain point the number of rats on the rock require sterner measures, seems to me.

(edited)
4 hours ago, okalb said:

Just curious why she thinks good backups may not have mattered?

said that they were entrenched firmly into the dc's and that by the time they knew about them, they had already established persistence and the backups would be tainted and bring them back in.  normal when the attackers have been inside the network for a while undetected.  these guys have been at it for a while.

found this article on it.

and just read an article that said the pipeline is starting back up now, so all the panic buyers can stay away from the gas station for a few days.

Edited by sfzombie13

2 hours ago, headoverheels said:

In photo number 16, why are they charging $9.989 per gallon?  Because they don't have another digit on the sign.

My theory is that was just another way of saying they were out.

22 minutes ago, gowlerk said:

Unfortunately that may be so. It is why China is doing so much better than India.  

And Canada and America. All western nations are burdened by the illusion that weapons that will turn to rust in 20 years are the measure of success and power. Yes, the F-22 is amazing but so was the King Tiger tank. All nice but numbers matter more. 

"The highest Generalship is 'to compel the enemy to disperse his army, and then to concentrate superior force against each fraction in tum' ". Sun Tzu

9 hours ago, JoeWeber said:

...."The highest Generalship is 'to compel the enemy to disperse his army, and then to concentrate superior force against each fraction in tum' ". Sun Tzu

Without trying to derail the thread too much and with deference to Mr. Sun.

A country, a tribe and a general needs to know his own forces first. With the corruption of the Xi government, Hong Kong, three million Uyghurs detained and the coverup of the Covid start. Xi and China is a bit of a paper tiger. A empire build on a swamp of oppression.

Democracies will always triumph over any form of strong centralized non-democracy. Because corruption always spreads when power is unchecked. Only by tossing out a government can rot be corrected.

Covid, trump, the upheavals of the 2020 worldwide recession are upheavals. Give the US voter credit, trump was thrown out. Modi in India may get the boot next for his failures.

1 hour ago, Phil1111 said:

Without trying to derail the thread too much and with deference to Mr. Sun.

A country, a tribe and a general needs to know his own forces first. With the corruption of the Xi government, Hong Kong, three million Uyghurs detained and the coverup of the Covid start. Xi and China is a bit of a paper tiger. A empire build on a swamp of oppression.

The highest Generalship is 'to compel the enemy to disperse his army, and then to concentrate superior force against each fraction in tum' . Sun Tzu Because corruption always spreads when power is unchecked. Only by tossing out a government can rot be corrected.

Covid, trump, the upheavals of the 2020 worldwide recession are upheavals. Give the US voter credit, trump was thrown out. Modi in India may get the boot next for his failures.

I'm of no mind to give the US voter a scintilla of credit. 74 Million+ of them would have us still under his yoke. Out of curiosity, how do you see human society in 1000 years? Will it still be a disparate array of nations of unequal size, wealth and power as today? One big homogenous democracy running like an oiled machine with liberty and justice for all? Sort of, it seems to me that China may have sorted out how to govern large numbers. I simply don't see how our system scales up.

15 hours ago, ryoder said:

I'm sure it's just a matter of time before some moron with plastic bags of gasoline in the car, lights up a cigarette.

I didn't believe that anyone would be stupid enough to fill up plastic bags with gasoline until I saw it with my own eyes https://twitter.com/FiendishlyYours/status/1391990487222001666

It beggers beleif that anyone would be that stupid

6 minutes ago, JoeWeber said:

I'm of no mind to give the US voter a scintilla of credit. 74 Million+ of them would have us still under his yoke. Out of curiosity, how do you see human society in 1000 years? Will it still be a disparate array of nations of unequal size, wealth and power as today? One big homogenous democracy running like an oiled machine with liberty and justice for all? Sort of, it seems to me that China may have sorted out how to govern large numbers. I simply don't see how our system scales up.

Medical science will have advanced the average lifespan by 30 years. With excellent quality of life BC of robotic servants and AI.

With the exception of war zones and increased desertification zones. Poverty is eliminated. Absolute despots have vanished but populists still resurface occasionally.

You're being too pessimistic has the good bourbon run out on the sailing yacht "saltydog"? After all the brief wine war ended after more intelligent thinking prevailed.

On 5/12/2021 at 6:29 AM, kallend said:

"Yet" indeed.  

The more cases there are the more mutations there will be.  It's just a matter of time until one turns out to be nastier.  Darwin rules.

I agree with your general premise, every infection is a potential for a new nasty version.

Thankfully evolution, very very broadly speaking, favors more infectious but less virulent viruses. If the infected get sick too quickly, or too severely it is less advantageous to spread.

Perfect example is MERS and SARS, both are way deadlier, but they have way less asymptomatic infections. If you get infected with MERS you are going to be stuck in the hospital, not living it up at some maskless party location.

3 hours ago, ScottishJohn said:

I didn't believe that anyone would be stupid enough to fill up plastic bags with gasoline until I saw it with my own eyes

Keep in mind that these people are patting themselves on the back for their ingenuity, foresight and thrift.  They "did their research" you see and they know that even gas in plastic garbage bags is a great investment.

(edited)
4 hours ago, billvon said:

Keep in mind that these people are patting themselves on the back for their ingenuity, foresight and thrift.  They "did their research" you see and they know that even gas in plastic garbage bags is a great investment.

You've got to remember that these are just simple farmers. These are people of the land. The common clay of the new West. You know... morons.

Edited by ryoder
  • Like 1

(edited)
1 hour ago, okalb said:

The gas is flowing again. All the morons now have dangerous quantities of fuel stored in questionable containers getting stale. And they probably paid too much as the retail price is shortly going to fall. What does a moron do next? Probably try to sell it on Craigslist.

https://www.wfmynews2.com/article/news/local/2-wants-to-know/can-a-craigslist-or-facebook-seller-get-charged-with-price-gouging-nc-attorney-general-josh-stein-says-the-law-simply-says-seller-not-just-a-business/83-c31797ff-795b-407b-8216-55d0fd4252c3

Edited by gowlerk

7 hours ago, Phil1111 said:

Medical science will have advanced the average lifespan by 30 years. With excellent quality of life BC of robotic servants and AI.

With the exception of war zones and increased desertification zones. Poverty is eliminated. Absolute despots have vanished but populists still resurface occasionally.

You're being too pessimistic has the good bourbon run out on the sailing yacht "saltydog"? After all the brief wine war ended after more intelligent thinking prevailed.

Well, as the saying goes, you can put your realized hopes in one hand and crap in the other and see which fills up first. Good for me I won't be around for the I told you so's but I do not see the capacity in American or any western style democracy to govern a billion people. much less billions. And no, I am not forgetting about India. As an aside, I might note that you didn't foresee smarter people.

3 hours ago, ryoder said:

You've got to remember that these are just simple farmers. These are people of the land. The common clay of the new West. You know... morons.

Have you sorted out how many were likely Trump voters based on locations?

8 hours ago, ScottishJohn said:

I didn't believe that anyone would be stupid enough to fill up plastic bags with gasoline until I saw it with my own eyes https://twitter.com/FiendishlyYours/status/1391990487222001666

It beggers beleif that anyone would be that stupid

If her best plan to collect gas was a plastic bag, I just wish I could find out how she was planning to get it from there into the tank of her car. I would pay to see that.